IW STi Forum banner

361 - 380 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 3!

Thanks for the feedback on temps. That's not too shabby really. With the naca set up feeding my homemade intake box, the best I could get was 11* above ambient but, (and it's a big "but") that was without a lid! I plan to re make a new box out of carbon with a lid and insulating material. Should be nice and chilly. ;)

Here's my intake box (never mind the crappy plate on the inner wall. I've since re made said piece by welding a piece of tube to the plate and paint matched it. Looks really nice now but no picture on hand.)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #363

wow! I'm surprised you could only get down to +11°... but then again, with no insulation or lid i guess that makes sense.

I'm sure I could get back to the +0° I had before with instant recovery with that setup!

I'm also diggin the fender vents you made. I'm assuming you removed the fender liner then?

Do you have any more pics of the fenders from farther away, to see how noticeable they look?

·
Registered
479 Posts

Thanks! I did remove the fender liners but planned to cut them up and add plastic so they met the door... Long story short that proved to be a major pia and I scrapped the idea so now I'm fabbing up some panels that meet the door and rear of the wheel well. I'm not sure if you're a gran turismo fan but if you are and you have the gt 300 hawkeye, you can pause to take a picture and zoom in on the wheel wells. The inside is carbon Kevlar which is what I'm trying to emulate.

Anyway, the only picture I have on hand is from ig (excuse the filthy wheel).

·
Registered
479 Posts

Once I get all my front end fab done, the top of the fender will be white while the bottom carbon panels will stay carbon.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciate it! You can cut the inner flange that meets the door so there's between 1/4- 1/2" lip then flatten it against the inside of the fender. Loosen the lower mounting bolt under the side skirt and pull out on the fender so the bolt is in the lowest part of the mounting hole, re tighten. Then simply pull on the fender by hand the amount you want the opening to be and you're all set! I just like to be different which is why I made the carbon lowers.

·
Registered
479 Posts

And of course to actually vent the wheel well, you hav to figure out something with the fender liner.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Wondering if those underbody pannels + diffuser produce enough pressure difference to have a rain spray like on race cars :D
Car is probably not low enough. Anyway, tests will show :cool::tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #373

Wondering if those underbody pannels + diffuser produce enough pressure difference to have a rain spray like on race cars :D
Car is probably not low enough. Anyway, tests will show :cool::tup:
That sure would be an awesome way to confirm the effectiveness of the panels!

Sadly, I won't know until I can build the rear diffuser (even though everything here has been sopping wet all week...)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #374 (Edited)

Yesterday I spent the afternoon fettling with the fitment, building brackets, and finally mounting the phase 3 panels! The only thing is, I can't use the OEM rear diffuser without cutting it up now, so I need to hurry up and build the new one!

The panels do seem to sit a little lowwer than I thought, but they can't actually go much higher either... I would have to bend the last 2-3" of the panels upward AFTER the lateral links, which would not be much.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 3 Complete!

Phase 3 Mounting Locations:

Here is a diagram of the mounting locations I used to install the Phase 3 panels.

The M6 bolts under the gas tank is for the Heat/debris shield that is mounted there from the factory. I used coupling nuts in lieu of the original nuts so I could bolt onto the bottom of them.

The M6 bolt pointing to the muffler is a heat shield mounting bolt.

The M8 bolts are obviously existing rear diffuser bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #376 (Edited)

So a friend of mine sent me this pic of a prototype fender vent that never got put into production. It got me thinking, I could make something like this myself... Its just some folded/bent aluminum neatly cut out and stuck on a fender. I should have enough scrap laying around to try and make one :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #377 (Edited)

So I mocked up the rear diffuser and then cut out the aluminum this weekend. Still need to work on making sure the curvature of the diffuser is right, then installing the strakes, then how to install on the car... haha

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #379 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 4 (rear diffuser)

Todays random protip:

Interested in aerodynamics? Read this book! Ive only been reading the chapter on the underbody, and I'm surprised at how much more there is to this! As it turns out a flat-bottom and diffuser is a HUGE deal! I mean I knew they were good, but I didn't think they could increase downforce on the FRONT of the car... More improvements will be coming :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 4 (rear diffuser)

^FYI, most of the stuff in that book isn't going to be as applicable on a street car due to the constantly changing gap between car bottom and the road. Unless you have a super stiff suspension setup.

Edit: mainly the underbody is what I'm meaning. Your route should be helpful though, get as flat as possible

361 - 380 of 1193 Posts