IW STi Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 3!

Phase 3 of the underbody panels is officially in progress!

I bought another sheet of aluminum last week and spent a little time doing some cutting/trimming this weekend for the two panels that will fit between the panels from Phase 2 and the rear diffuser. I'm having to be a bit more creative with hanging the panels than before but I think I've got a plan that will work. The tricky part now is going to be building support brackets...

probably won't get under the car until next weekend, but pictures will be coming :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #349

Make it 4.

Time to go into business :D

I may have to take some pointers from this at some point and try this out. I'm impressed.
haha, I would if the "labor" didnt make it cost prohibitive for someone to buy ;)

I'm surprised how few examples there are of people trying to make something like this.. Although, it is a lot of work, and will be "out of sight, out of mind" when complete... maybe Im just a nerd.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

haha, I would if the "labor" didnt make it cost prohibitive for someone to buy ;)

I'm surprised how few examples there are of people trying to make something like this.. Although, it is a lot of work, and will be "out of sight, out of mind" when complete... maybe Im just a nerd.
Nerds make the best stuff :cool:

·
Registered
479 Posts

Have you logged intake temps before and after the naca in the underside? I had one in my fender before and it was helpful / functional but I've wondered about placing it in a splitter underneath like you've done. My limited research led me to believe that it wouldn't be ideal (in a splitter at least).

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #352

Have you logged intake temps before and after the naca in the underside? I had one in my fender before and it was helpful / functional but I've wondered about placing it in a splitter underneath like you've done. My limited research led me to believe that it wouldn't be ideal (in a splitter at least).
I logged temps for the previous setup, where I was using the foglight for an intake and had very good results. Although now with the brake ducts in stalled, I had to find a different location for the intake air (unless I wanted hot engine bay air) so I resorted to the naca duct in the bottom of the bumper/splitter. I know its not ideal, but since I bought a big one (dual 3" inlets), I'm confident that is the source of the majority of my intake air...

I'll try to do some logging to confirm.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. I wound up getting in a little fender bender on my right front so I bought a new fender with a carbon apr naca to go with it... Well, there's no give in that duct like the previous plastic butler duct so I've been on the fence on what I want to do. I can try to flatten out the fender but I'm Leary of the way it'll look. I know the obvious simple solution is to use the old plastic duct but I'm stubborn and really wanted to use the carbon to match all my other custom carbon bits I've made for the front end. Anyway, I've been trying to think of other options all together and it comes down to bumper or underneath.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #354

yeah, its really difficult to find a place to mount a duct other than the foglights. You could try to fab a flat foglight cover and install it that way? I wouldn't cut into the fender though, I just dont see that going well...

·
Registered
479 Posts

Actually when I first got the original duct I did put it in the fog cover but it was an improper use of the naca so I wound up putting it in the fender. It was exactly like the aq Motorports race car. I just wanted a cleaner look and that's why I opted for the carbon. I'll likely just re use the stupid plastic one.. What to do with this $100 duct though.. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #356

oh ok... yeah thats gonna be difficult with a rigid carbon duct...

You could always do the "hydro dip" thing (or whatever its called), to put a carbon looking finish on the plastic duct.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Well, in a perfect world I could live without ac (lose the condenser), fit a narrower radiator, and buy the nifty carbon duct from wrc spares that fits to the top right grill lol. But that's not happening. In for iat results! Thanks for helping the work day go by haha.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Also, on an unrelated (and likely irrelevant, judging by your sig.) note; I noticed you had a sparco evo 2. I looked at your post about fitting it and felt your pain haha. I have them driver and passenger with planted base and side mounts. The driver is on a recaro slider while the passenger is fix mounted (as far back as possible with roll bar). Neither of them touch the b pillar but are close and I did have to overcome that hurdle.

It was just amusing to me and thought I'd let you know that it is possible with a lot of fighting and custom hardware lol.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #359

Have you logged intake temps before and after the naca in the underside?
Ask and ye shall receive!

During lunch I logged intake temps and had slightly disappointing results... Still much better than a regular short-ram intake though. On the highway, temps seemed to stabilize at 6-8°F above ambient (which is pretty decent, though not quite as good as my previous 0-3°F above ambient setup...). At lower speeds 8-10°F above ambient seemed to be the best I could achieve. The biggest disappointment was recovery time. Since I don't have anything ducted, cold air is mixing with the SUPER hot air coming from the header/uppipe and warming up before making its way up the fender to the intake. It took WAY longer than it used to for temps to drop and stabilize... But if you stop at a light the temps shoot up to 30°F above ambient within about a minute.

I may try to add some hose to the back of the naca duct to alleviate some of this...

Actually when I first got the original duct I did put it in the fog cover but it was an improper use of the naca so I wound up putting it in the fender. It was exactly like the aq Motorports race car. I just wanted a cleaner look and that's why I opted for the carbon. I'll likely just re use the stupid plastic one.. What to do with this $100 duct though.. Sigh.

Image Link
This pic isn't working, but I'd love to see what your setup looks like. Its got me thinking...

I had already toyed with the idea of getting a second set of cheap front fenders to mess with wheel vents, and this would be a perfect candidate to add on!

Also, on an unrelated (and likely irrelevant, judging by your sig.) note; I noticed you had a sparco evo 2. I looked at your post about fitting it and felt your pain haha. I have them driver and passenger with planted base and side mounts. The driver is on a recaro slider while the passenger is fix mounted (as far back as possible with roll bar). Neither of them touch the b pillar but are close and I did have to overcome that hurdle.

It was just amusing to me and thought I'd let you know that it is possible with a lot of fighting and custom hardware lol.
Thats surprising... When I had the Evo 2, it was touching the B-pillar AND the center console, so there was nowhere for me to move the seat. BUT, this is also a function of my height (5'8"). If I were much shorter or much taller, I probably would've been able to clear the B-pillar. In any case, I'm glad you made it work :tup:

341 - 360 of 1193 Posts