IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - foglight ducts

Looks awesome although id be worried about water.
I won't be ducting it up to the intake like I did before; this time, I'll just be pressurizing the fender with cold air. any water that makes it into the fender will just get on the fender liner rather than through the fender and onto the filter. :tup:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Next step in the brake cooling, rig up the foglights...

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

I will go back with another, much thicker, layer of epoxy on this next. That first one was just fix the position of the two peices...

Very important. I didn't do this rushing to prepare for a track day and had the duct fold on the straight. I'll post Images of the damage in my journal a little later.

·
Registered
998 Posts

I've heard of people pressurizing the liner only to cause tire contact and tearing the whole damn thing out :lol:. I'm very curious to see how the NACA duct works as its pulling air from a far lower pressure zone than the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #305

Very important. I didn't do this rushing to prepare for a track day and had the duct fold on the straight. I'll post Images of the damage in my journal a little later.
Thats too bad... I hope it didn't ruin the event for you. Once you post up, I'm going to make sure I don't have the same issue...

I've heard of people pressurizing the liner only to cause tire contact and tearing the whole damn thing out :lol:. I'm very curious to see how the NACA duct works as its pulling air from a far lower pressure zone than the front bumper.
really?? that sounds crazy! But you're right it is a much lower pressure than the front bumper so I really doubt I'll have any issues... I'm going to put some of that screen in the duct openings to keep rocks and debris out too. The main point is just to make it easier for the intake to draw in fresh air from outside rather than hot engine bay air. It probably doesn't equate to any more power, but I like to think it helps :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Ha, you won't because you've done the duct at the fog lamp housing correctly. I did not ergo issue.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Brake Ducts Completed! (with pics)

Brake Ducts COMPLETE!

Got in the RooDucts from Randy (super fast shipping!) and the black silicone hose (not the uber expensive orange hose) and went to town.

A couple things to note here.
1. The inlet of the RooDucts is larger than 3". You are supposed to just put the 3" hose into the duct...
2. The "4x3" reducers I epoxied to the back of my foglights have a 3.5" ID on the "3 inch" side. For this I found a small cheap true 4x3 reducer and cut it up to fill the gap.

viola!

before they were cut to fit in the foglights:

passenger side:

driver side:

Then I also cut in the naca duct into my undertray for my intake:

view from the foglight opening. You can see how close the duct is to where the brake duct hose will be. Its getting tight in there :)

Quite pleased with how all that came out :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #308 (Edited)

Been a busy weekend. Drove down to Gastonia to help move my parents and saw these two beauties on the highway:

oh and last week this guy let out the magic smoke. at least he was only a $10 harbor freight tool...

And on the way to my parents house a truck in front of me ran over a piece of tire tread which flipped up and slapped my front bumper :( and the hose/foglight seperated themselves... so I hd to re-epoxy them yesterday.

Then I decided to "secure" my foglights better since they fit kinda loosely (they are ebay parts but they work well otherwise), as well as do something to pull in the bumper corner near my headlights. I haven't installed the bumper thing yet, but I did find some neat threaded "binding posts" to use for the foglights. I put one on each of the lower corners and it is perfect :) (I used 3/8" length)

And here it is in the parking lot this morning:

·
Registered
449 Posts

Sorry to hear
Damn those cars looked great!
<-- Porsche fan (Gotta follow the Boxer engines lol)

Saw 3 more 2015's in the area recently - hope they weren't passing by only.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #310

Sorry to hear
Damn those cars looked great!
<-- Porsche fan (Gotta follow the Boxer engines lol)

Saw 3 more 2015's in the area recently - hope they weren't passing by only.
yeah, ive seen a few 2015s in the group hangout pics on FB but I'm not sure I've seen them in person yet... I don't get to make it out to the meets much :(

·
Registered
899 Posts

Solid work man!
I more and more tend towards getting rooducts for mine too.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #312

Solid work man!
I more and more tend towards getting rooducts for mine too.
Thanks!

I would highly recommend them! I haven't had them on track to test temperatures yet, but I can tell there is a decent amount of airflow simply from the change in brake dust on the wheels. Now the inside wheel stays nearly spotless while the outside face of the wheel turns black even faster... And this is with just normal around-town driving, nothing crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #313 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Bumper Secured (with pics)

I have been fairly unhappy with the way my bumper has been fitting for a while now. Replacing the bumper sliders didn't really do anything, and after I got hit by the flying tire debris on the freeway, I decided to secure the foglights to the bumper and secure the bumper corners from popping out.

I already secured the foglights to the bumper, but now I put a little bit of touchup paint on the screw heads and you can barely see them!

Last night I finally spent the time to secure the bumper corners that are always popping out. I used some steel cable, a spring, and much larger threaded "binding post" to get the job done. I anchored the assembly inside the front bumper on the chassis and then ran the "binding post" through the area of the bumper in question.

Passenger Side:

Drivers Side:

Drivers Side again:

Inside of Bumper:

Installed!

Then I put some touchup paint on those too:

I'm pleased with how it all came out, but I would do it a little differently if I had to do it again (and I might at some point...) I realized the cable attached to the bumper, while long enough to come into the bumper area where being attached, was not long enough to get to very easily once the bumper was actually on. I should've mounted the chassis mounts further up front to give a larger span between the connections and made the bumper cable long enough to stretch 90% of that distance. That would make latching/unlatching for bumper removal MUCH EASIER. It was quite a bear to connect those in their current configuration. Oh well, I'll just try to avoid taking off the bumper as much as I can for a while...haha

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Bumper Secured! (with pics)

I was having the same bumper issue. The right side kept popping out. I managed to solve the problem by clamping down on the snap in connector under the head light. However a couple weeks ago my tires gave up on the last cone of my last run and I smacked the cone hard causing the bumper to pop out again. This time squeezing down on the snap in connector didn't help. A friend said just hot glue it.That seems to be working for now. I just used general hot glue so it may not be strong enough. If not I have another friend that does PDR. He has several strength levels of hot glue. If I have to I'll try different strengths until I get one that will hold, but can still also be "popped" if I need to remove the bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #315

Yeah, that'd be my worry is that a strong enough glue wouldn't 'pop' back out... Thats kinda how I came up with this idea. Fully removable and certainly strong enough to hold in the bumper :tup:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Yea we'll see. You definitely have one of the better ideas I've seen to resolve this problem. It's less noticeable than the o-rings or buckles. You gave me an idea too. If the glue proves to be troublesome I can glue something to the inside of the bumper with a hole in it using hot glue or gorilla glue that I can attach a spring to. I just don't want to drill the bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #317

Yea we'll see. You definitely have one of the better ideas I've seen to resolve this problem. It's less noticeable than the o-rings or buckles. You gave me an idea too. If the glue proves to be troublesome I can glue something to the inside of the bumper with a hole in it using hot glue or gorilla glue that I can attach a spring to. I just don't want to drill the bumper.
that's definitely an option and I considered doing something similar but I didn't want it to come undone and have to start over :( I resigned to drilling the bumper after I realized I could paint the bolt head. And I also have the option to fill in the hole with epoxy and paint over it, like I did with the license plate holes... (although that's much easier on a non-white car...)

There is definitely a space issue in that particular corner of the bumper as well. The headlight bracket takes up 95% of the area so a single bolt seemed the easiest to get past that. If the bracket wasn't in the way, I would've preferred to rivet a small bracket to the inside of the bumper to attach to.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

That's true. Not much space to work with. Well hopefully the glue holds until the next cone strike. If not I like your spring idea. It has some give to absorb impact. I was worried about making the bumper too secure and ripping a tab or the bumper itself.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #319 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

OUT with the old and IN with the new!

one of a few small birthday gifts:

by the way, I noticed that the tie down bolt on toward the front of the car appears to be a little short now, has anyone else run into this with an aftermarket battery tie-down?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #320 (Edited)
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - heat taped the intercooler (with pics)

what happens when you hear someone mention the use of DEI Reflect-a-Gold heat tape? You realize how much of a part of your life it is and you miss it.

And then, roughly a week later, this happens...

Because why not? I like shiny things... This won't help my Boss' idea that my engine bay looks like part of a NASA project. hahaha

301 - 320 of 1193 Posts