IW STi Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - First Track Day! (pics and video)

looking into the rooducts further. Is the inlet hose connection, underneath the car or between the washer tank and the splash gaurd?

found one installed on a GC that looks to be the newwer style. But it looks like it goes underneath the splash gaurd... can't find any better pictures of a GD so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

I've been running ATE Super Blue in my S2000 as that's what the previous owner had put in it. I have decent brakes and cooling, so I haven't had any boiling issues (although I did on my smaller brakes and no cooling). I have some Motul fluid ready to go in, but lazy.

Cooling is key... Even if you don't have any fade, cooling will make pads and rotors last considerably longer. I'm still on the same rotor rings, front and rear that I ran all last year. Still on my original rear pads and I would still be on my original front pads if I had not gone to a more aggressive compound this year. Cooling will also extend the life of your wheel bearings too. Be sure that you route the ducts/airflow to the center of the rotor/bearing so that the vanes can do what they were designed to do; pump air evenly.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #263

I've been running ATE Super Blue in my S2000 as that's what the previous owner had put in it. I have decent brakes and cooling, so I haven't had any boiling issues (although I did on my smaller brakes and no cooling). I have some Motul fluid ready to go in, but lazy.

Cooling is key... Even if you don't have any fade, cooling will make pads and rotors last considerably longer. I'm still on the same rotor rings, front and rear that I ran all last year. Still on my original rear pads and I would still be on my original front pads if I had not gone to a more aggressive compound this year. Cooling will also extend the life of your wheel bearings too. Be sure that you route the ducts/airflow to the center of the rotor/bearing so that the vanes can do what they were designed to do; pump air evenly.
Thanks, thats actually really helpful! I had been in this mindset that heat isn't really bad as long as your pads/rotors/fluid are designed for it. But it makes much more sense that cooling is ALWAYS good! I will definitly be doing something for cooling before I head back out to track day. Right now, it looks like I will be converting my foglight covers into brake ducts with rooducts blowing the air into the wheels. need to cut vents in the brake dust sheilds as well.

On a completely un-related note. Ive been thinking about the aerodynamics of these cars and how we have such large airflow openings to the raidiator. While my oil temps did jump up to 260ish at the track, they normally do not get above 210-215 (maybe 220 on a hot day?) and my coolant temps never budged (according to our stock "3-position" sensor...LOL). That being said, the bumper openings are sized for "worst case" scenarios and not for putzing around town...

Here is my idea: Fab up a plate to cover up some portion of either the upper, or the lower bumper grill openings. For driving around town and cruising on the highway I should be able to get a way with less airflow to the raidator just fine. And the benefit here is that decreasing the total bumper opening area, decreases the "parachute effect" (as I like to call it) that creates drag. I would love to fab this up and get on the highway and test my mpg. It may only be something like a 1mpg increase, but thats all I need to prove it works and is worthwhile (its all I need to justfiy building stuff... haha). It would be easily removable for track days and such too.

It would be awesome, if the decreased bumper opening area, and full flat-bottom produce a 2-3mpg increase on the highway (more is obviously better, but I'm trying to be realistic). Considering gas costs around $3/gal around here, the payback would be pretty quick. I call that a win.

I know that probably seems sorta nerdy and "mpgwhocaresanyway" but its a no-downside option as well as an excuss to build stuff. Stay tuned :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #264

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #265 (Edited)

Well yesterday and today have been busy. I finally got some time to work on the car so I installed the new A/C Condensor, the grillcraft lower grill, some Mishimoto Silicone couplers with T-clamps for the intercooler (OEM ones were cracking/looking busted), and bled out the ATE Superblue and replaced with Motul RBF600. Whew, that was a lot. I adjusted the PS cooler a little lower during the condenser install too.

Here is the old condenser with the rock damage:

New Condensor is in:

Adjusted the PS cooler lower:

Heres a close up of the grill before being installed:

Front bumper back on, and Grillcraft lower grill installed:

Been a productive weekend so far :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Picked up some Transmission Fluid from subaru, and ordered a new pair of the bumper clip things that hold the sides of the bumper in. Apparently they wear out after removing the bumper which is why I'm always popping the bumper back on... Surprisingly enough, they were only $30 for the pair!

heres a pic I found on the googles for those who dont know what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Cool!
I think they are called bumper sliders. I had to replace mine too. The previous owner broke them (minor front-end hit). Still though the right side would pop out occasionally. After I tweaked the metal a bit that fixed the problem.

Because of stuff like this sometimes I call it my Level 1 snap-together car.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Nice read
Nice car

I see you are in Cary... I have been driving around Cary and have seen ZERO WRX's or STI's :(

Is there just not that many in our area?
I am in NYC now but will be down permanently at end of the month.
I will be close to the Crossroads shopping center.

If you start seeing a 2015 STI with a loud TBE that would be me :)

Hope to see you around

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #272

Thanks!

Its funny you say that because I see them all the time... lol

Check out the Triangle Subaru Owners Club on Facebook. All the local guys are on there and they meet up every sunday to hang out and get lunch and stuff. Its a pretty good group :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #273 (Edited)

Back to the idea of reduced drag by covering the lower radiator opening�

So on the way to the beach yesterday, I decided to put my idea into action and see what happened. I put painters tape over the lower radiator opening (which matched the WRB much better than I expected�lol) and got on the hwy. I monitored oil/coolant temp very closely the entire trip for signs of trouble. Oil temp ran a little warmer (as expected) and coolant didn�t budge on the stock gauge. Usually I�m in the 210-215F range for oil temp on the highway (although this is the first summer since having the gauge) and I was cruising at 220F mostly, with the reduced airflow through the radiator, and occasionally almost up to 225F. This includes some of the driving around town as well, so this was not relying on the high airflow of the highway to maintain temperature.

All that to say, that oil and coolant temps were able to handle the reduced airflow for regular driving, just as I had speculated. And now for the good part, when we got here I filled up and calculated about 1.5 mpg better than I normally get!

I know that�s no huge gain, but its enough for me confirm what I thought, and to come up with more permanent type (removable) solution for covering the lower radiator opening. I would only put it on for road trips, since that�s the only time it would make much difference, but I think it�s a neat concept.

Testing stuff and finding it works is a lot of fun for me :)

·
Registered
87 Posts

Back to the idea of reduced drag by covering the lower radiator opening…

So on the way to the beach yesterday, I decided to put my idea into action and see what happened. I put painters tape over the lower radiator opening (which matched the WRB much better than I expected…lol) and got on the hwy. I monitored oil/coolant temp very closely the entire trip for signs of trouble. Oil temp ran a little warmer (as expected) and coolant didn’t budge on the stock gauge. Usually I’m in the 210-215F range for oil temp on the highway (although this is the first summer since having the gauge) and I was cruising at 220F mostly, with the reduced airflow through the radiator, and occasionally almost up to 225F. This includes some of the driving around town as well, so this was not relying on the high airflow of the highway to maintain temperature.

All that to say, that oil and coolant temps were able to handle the reduced airflow for regular driving, just as I had speculated. And now for the good part, when we got here I filled up and calculated about 1.5 mpg better than I normally get!

I know that’s no huge gain, but its enough for me confirm what I thought, and to come up with more permanent type (removable) solution for covering the lower radiator opening. I would only put it on for road trips, since that’s the only time it would make much difference, but I think it’s a neat concept.

Testing stuff and finding it works is a lot of fun for me :)

ive heard this will also provide you the benefit of a higher speed (though you will likely loose gas mileage doing top speed runs. Im also pretty sure the increase in insurance will offset any other cost savings you can manage to find.

Ive heard trying to close up the front end is a common thing for people doing top speed runs. While your at it, I am interested to know if you can find any benefit from taping off the hood to fender seems as well as the gaps in the lights or other areas on your car that can create drag/turbulence

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #275

What do you mean by increase in insurance?

Yeah, im sure this would benefit top speed, but I doubt I would comfortable closing off part of the radiator for a high engine load situation like that...

I should investigate those other gaps like you mentioned, but Im afraid the gains will be small and hard to measure... A wind tunnel would be sweet to test all this in. :)

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

plug in your AP and check actual coolant temps, the stock gauge is not accurate.

Cold, kinda cold, ok, hot, too hot are the only 5 options on the stock gauge. lol.

i'm guessing the insurance comment was a joke about speeding tickets.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #277

lol, that's probably right.

I was considering monitoring the actual coolant temp, but my assumption was if coolant temp is substantially rising that oil temps would mirror that... Considering oil temps were very consistent (and not elevated more than a few degrees) and I was not driving hard, Im pretty confident the coolant temps were in check. Although next time I test this I'll probably plug in the AP anyway just to be sure.

I wish OEMs would put in coolant gauges that did more than show when you are already too hot. :tdown: it can't possibly cost that much more...

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

people don't like to see fluctuation. They like seeing "rock solid water temps".

ignorance is bliss.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #279

^A sad truth...

In other news, I am now kinda confused. I expected my mpg to drop on the way back from the beach since I didn't have to radiator blocked off anymore. Instead I got the highest mpg Ive ever seen from cruising at 80-85 with the A/C on! I got 25.6mpg on the way back when 21-22 is average for the speed I was doing...

I have some speculation about this, but long story short, I think there were some circumstances that invalidated my test... I also think I may have stumbled across a ethanol-free gas station before leaving. Thats the only reason I can see my mileage jumping up so high on the return trip.

But, I still think the principle is valid for blocking off the radiator. Blocking it off will also be useful for warming the engine in the winter which is cool.

·
Registered
87 Posts

What do you mean by increase in insurance?
I was referring to a hike in insurance after getting speeding tickets for doing a max speed run on public roads. I work midnights. Half of what I say is confusing even to myself when I get no sleep.

Yeah, im sure this would benefit top speed, but I doubt I would comfortable closing off part of the radiator for a high engine load situation like that...
I think with top speed runs the distance ran normally is 1 to 2 miles. The heat buildup im sure in that short period of time is relatively minimal and once they stop they go ripping off or finding other ways to get the engine cool. Im also guessing on this part as I have never done or known anyone that has actually done it.

I should investigate those other gaps like you mentioned, but Im afraid the gains will be small and hard to measure... A wind tunnel would be sweet to test all this in.
Agreed on the minimal gains especially when you have a big hood scoop on the hood. Im just curious if it would make that much of a difference. If we didn’t have the hood scoop, and closed off the rest of the hood as well as gave the air passing though the radiator a clear path out with no places to build up, I wonder how much more efficient a car could get.

261 - 280 of 1193 Posts