IW STi Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - First Track Day! (pics and video)

Thanks! It was a lot of fun for sure!

PS - I just realized (5 min ago) that the big rock hit my A/C Condensor and not my radiator... I had wondered why I had no A/C on the way back and that I wasn't loosing coolant... So car is reliable, but no A/C :(

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #243

BRAKE FLUID!

So I have been using ATE SuperBlue for a few years now with no issues. On Auto-X days the pedal would sometimes feel a little mushy between runs, but was always firm on the course.

Friday I had the same issue, but to a greater extent. I had to pump my brakes to build pressure back up after the car cooled, but again, I had a firm pedal on track.

Upon mentioning this, the shop that supports my boss said SuperBlue is junk and I should swap for RBF600. According to him "wet boiling point is the only part that matters since, the fluid becomes wet as soon as you open the can." I understand that and don't dispute it, but RBF600 has a wet boiling point of 421°F and SuperBlue is 392°F. Is that really a drastic difference?

I'm sure the pedal mushyness was in part due to how long its been since I bleed out the old fluid, but is it worth the extra cost for the Motul?

I'm about to get the lower grillcraft grill (because rock damage) and can get free shipping if I add a few bottles of brake fluid...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

I couldn't see the vids, but I have to say I like your build. Good eye for detail. :tup:
I like the idea of expanding the under car aero to increase downforce. I'd be doing that too if it weren't an illegal mod in STU.

I'd like to try track also, but I'm hard on things as it is and I don't want to damage my baby. I also know myself and once I get out there I'll just drive as fast as I can. So I'd need better pads and brake cooling right off the bat.

Fresh fluid makes a huge difference! Especially if you live in a humid climate. I have run Motul, but not on track. I can't say how well it resists boiling, but I can say it got water contamination in my car very quickly. It's been my experience "race" products are just not meant for longevity since they are usually installed before a race and taken out after. I have no doubt fresh Motul will do the job as it's a proven product. I only bring this up because you should probably keep an eye on it if you plan to leave it in for a while. Anyway after that I started running Castrol LMA, but it was discontinued locally. It worked great for my needs though and lasted forever. LWA stands for Low Moisture Absorption. I never had braking issues in my 2.5RS during an autocross.

Now I've started using Pentosin Super DOT4. It's easy to get through NAPA. Takes a day if it's not in stock. It has the same boiling temps as the Castrol (509/329). I've never had issues with it either. The Castrol and Pentosin are made in the same German factory so I thought maybe the formula was the same. So far the fluid seems to be lasting. It's been in my STI a little over a year. I would flush it with fresh fluid if I were to run track though. Coincidentailly the ATE is also made in the same German factory as the Castrol and Pentosin.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #247

I couldn't see the vids, but I have to say I like your build. Good eye for detail. :tup:
I like the idea of expanding the under car aero to increase downforce. I'd be doing that too if it weren't an illegal mod in STU.

I'd like to try track also, but I'm hard on things as it is and I don't want to damage my baby. I also know myself and once I get out there I'll just drive as fast as I can. So I'd need better pads and brake cooling right off the bat.

Fresh fluid makes a huge difference! Especially if you live in a humid climate. I have run Motul, but not on track. I can't say how well it resists boiling, but I can say it got water contamination in my car very quickly. It's been my experience "race" products are just not meant for longevity since they are usually installed before a race and taken out after. I have no doubt fresh Motul will do the job as it's a proven product. I only bring this up because you should probably keep an eye on it if you plan to leave it in for a while. Anyway after that I started running Castrol LMA, but it was discontinued locally. It worked great for my needs though and lasted forever. LWA stands for Low Moisture Absorption. I never had braking issues in my 2.5RS during an autocross.

Now I've started using Pentosin Super DOT4. It's easy to get through NAPA. Takes a day if it's not in stock. It has the same boiling temps as the Castrol (509/329). I've never had issues with it either. The Castrol and Pentosin are made in the same German factory so I thought maybe the formula was the same. So far the fluid seems to be lasting. It's been in my STI a little over a year. I would flush it with fresh fluid if I were to run track though. Coincidentailly the ATE is also made in the same German factory as the Castrol and Pentosin.
Thanks! Yeah, I realized a while back if I tried to stick to some "class" that I wouldn't be able to build it the way I wanted... I don't compete enough for it to matter either. lol

I knew fresh fluid was a good idea, but thought It would be ok... I'm sure thats the bigger deal here. Although I certainly don't mind stepping up to a higher wet boiling point, I'll for sure have to change this stuff out regularly (or at least before an event!).

Thanks for the advice!

Where did you order the grill and fluid from? I like that lower grill.
Rallysportdirect for both actually... Went ahead with both so I could get free shipping :)
Here is the grill
Here is the brakefluid page

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

I watched some of the vids. That does look like fun! It's more entertaining to watch with other cars on the track

I don't really mind sticking to the class rules. I knew what the car would be built for long before I even bought it. It also gave me direction in my build. I will say this though... If I decide to jump classes or my car gets outmoded in STU the first mods I'm going to install are an ID topfeed conversion with bigger injectors and a CF one-piece driveshaft!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

Yea, there was literally only 3 cars in my run group... Which is awesome for some beginner practice and focusing on the track, but not as good for video replay quality. :)

Those will be two very nice mods! If they weren't so expensive, I'd be trying to do those myself!

·
Registered
899 Posts

Trackdays are fun, aren't they :cool::tup:

I'm running the RBF 600 and had no brake fade in therms of the brake fluid getting too hot at the Hockenheimring. Rule of thumb is: If your brake works at the Hockenheimring, it'll work everywhere.
But, the mushy feel might come from overheating brake pads. So you need to get Air to the Brakes. I have self made brake ducts running like the ones from Prova. Just selfmade and not as nice, but they work :D
Now I will also invest in some brake ducting with hoses to get enough air on there.

If your A/C was running on the way back, your A/C Compressor might be done by now.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #252

I definitly put a lot of heat into my brakes... Not sure if they were "overheated" or not, but they were certainly very hot. All the stuff that WAS rust colored was now sort of a redish dust...lol

IF I could manage brake ducts without sacrificing my engine intake or washer fluid bottle, I will be all over that. Might have to get creative...

I tired to turn on the A/C after I left (car sat for like an hour cooling off since I missed the last session) but the compressor never engaged because the refrigerant pressure was too low (ZERO pressure). At that point, I still thought it was my radiator that had a leak, not the condensor... So, I'm assuming the compressor still OK.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #253

Brake duct question.

Trying to figure out how I can do brake ducts without sacrificing my current setup at all... Would I be able to get enough air to make the ducting worthwhile if the intake is anywhere but the high pressure air at the front bumper (ie NACA ducts on the undertray)?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

The RooDucts for the 06/07 have clearance with the washer tank.

how low does your intake hang on the passenger side?

The undertray is a tough spot for getting good air, it can be done but you'd want a flat bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #255

Good to know, thats one less thing to worry about!

how low does your intake hang on the passenger side?
I have a cobb SF, but I built ducting up to the airbox using the passenger side foglight... If I wanted to use that for brake ducting, I would have to do something different for the intake. Its not a deal breaker, just another consideration. I would probably want to upgrade the intake to a KS Tech if I went that route.

The undertray is a tough spot for getting good air, it can be done but you'd want a flat bottom.
The bottom of my car is pretty flat from the edge of the front lip to the back of the cabin area (current project. latest update here). I could feasibly cut in some NACA ducts into my undertray, but even then, would I be able to get a decent amount of air? FWIW, I will probably not do more than 2 track days a year so this isnt a 'huge' concern, but it sure would be nice to not have overheated brakes each time...

Alternatively, what If I tried to fab up some custom brake duct inlets into the front lip area?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

You could try it, but I'd go with the fog light area over a bottom.

You could fab up some holes in the lower bumper area under fog light. I've got pieces that mount to the 04/05 lower opening if you had something of similar shape you'd be able to use the same piece.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #257

So I started looking into these last night. They look like a pretty sweet setup for routing to the inside of the wheel. Can you use these with any fog-light location openings?

THESE are for sale right now, and I think they will be a better fit than the knock-off fog-light pieces I have now... What do you think?

Also, who makes the rotor backing plate adapters?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

If you're not doing loads and loads of racing you most likely don't need the backing plate on the rotor. Randy (mr. RooDuct) suggests trying without a backing plate adapter to see if that's enough to keep things cool.

The best option for rooDucts and a rotor backing plate adapter is Quantum.

Those look nice, curious on gluing them to the car though.

The RooDuct doesn't go all the way to the fog, you need some hose to go between front bumper opening (whereever it is) and the RooDuct. It can work with any fog opening or lower bumper opening.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

the duct just directs air into the wheel well (when not connect with a hose to an adapter). You can cut holes in your backing plate or remove it.

241 - 260 of 1193 Posts