IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just a word of the wise to all you out there looking at going rotated. I just got a gt30r rotated kit. i frist want to say that it felt great and i was very happy. that is untill the turbo blew with under 3K on the kit! my tuner pulled it out and it looks to be a blown cartrige and a general manufacturers defect of this specific turbo ( i have heard of no one elce with this problem). Perrin *should* be replacing this under warentee no cost to me, i really hope they do not hastle me! But even so im carless for at least a week or two and this is a really bad situation for me as i need to move next week and was supposed to go visit my family this weekend... so upset about it all. o well, just thought i would let you all know.
-Skippy

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That sucks, what happened when the turbo let go?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
sorry about this man, everything will be fixed up new soon. Good luck, Im sure perrin will stand by their product.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sure hope they do!!! if they dont i will be absolutley FU*KED!! cuz i dont even have enough cash to buy a new one at cost : (
Basiclly what happened was it was working fine, then i had a coolent leak which was in the return line from the turbo and so i was not driving in boost at all to prevent leaking. I went to my shop and got it fixed up... they told me to go out and drive it hard and get stuff warm to make sure there was no other leaks. Well as soon as a i started driving i knew something was up, basicly i was not getting boost till 4500 rpm (normally at full boost by 3200), it was also not pulling quite as hard up top. Furthermore there was ZERO tourqe down low... dead before 4K, felt like an s2k with alot of top end... nothing at all then zing.. anyway i went back and we thought there was a boost leak and so i left the car and got a call a few hours later, blown turbo. if i had a G i could buy one at cost and have it in the car by tomorrow and then after perring looked at my turbo they would refund my money. unfortunetly i have abotu 750 in my bank account so i will have no car for a while and if they dont honor a warentee for some reason i will not have a car for awhile (especially after the 300 or so dollars a rental is going to cost me)
-Skippy

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Always bad when your daily driver takes a crap on ya. You followed proper turbo breakin instructions right?

1. Prime the oil system by cranking the engine over (WITHOUT STARTING IT) for 10-15 seconds, and repeat this step 3-5 times minimum. There are many ways to make sure that your car will not start, you can unplug the coil wire on vehicles with distributor-style ignition, or on vehicles with direct fire ignition, you can disconnect the coil packs, or the ignition relay. It is VERY important that your car DOES NOT START while pre-oiling the turbo.

2. After you have completed the above step you can start the car and allow it to idle ONLY.

3. Allow the vehicle to idle for 10-15 minutes without applying any throttle. Even at idle, the turbo can be spinning at as much as 28,000 RPM's on certain models. Use this time to check for any loose fittings, hoses, exhaust leaks, etc.

4. After idling the car as prescribed above, you may then begin to drive the car. Make every attempt to limit boost for the first 100-200 miles.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That sucks! Sorry to hear.

Not sure what Perrin will do with you but here's what happened on some defective fuel lines I got-

-Installed new Perrin fuel lines and they leaked
-Called Perrin and they told me that it might be this or that but NEVER their lines
-Called Perrin again and affirmed it was their lines
-They finally agreed to replace BUT I had to pay full retail for a new set of lines to be shipped to me otherwise I would have to wait for them to get mine and have them send some new lines out so I agreed to pay full retail with next day shipping.
-Got the new lines, don't leak. Sent old ones back.
-One month goes by and no credit back to by credit card. Called and they said they said that I might just have to wait longer for credit.
-Another month goes by and I'm hot. Finally talk to someone and he said they would credit my card but they need to see original receipt. ARGGG!! Why didn't they call me last month and ask for this???
-Faxed copy of receipt. Finally got credit back. Only took 2 months!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Im sorry to hear it happened but your tuners are ass-hats! This is not a "GT30R's" suck comment. They were idiots for telling you to drive at all without coolant to the turbo. With that leak, and Im sure it leaked even not in boost, the turbo was not being cooled properly and the casing let go. I would be supprized if Perrin replaces it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Man that sucks, but this is not the first time I have heard of problems with the Garret turbos. If you search around on nasioc, you will find other threads. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
import 111- to be honest, i dont know... m tuner did everything and when i got it i was told to take it easy for about 100 mi which i did. I also replaced the oil after about 200 mi as i was told the turbo comes with break in oil alread in it, since that time i have been running synthetic ( i used to use whatever subaru put in it).
rodent- Perrin told me to do the same thing and if i had i would have had the car running today, unfortunetly i do not have 1000 dollars to my name so i will be waiting it out.
2fast4u- ya, i think some of the things they have done are suspect... but they are all great guys, super helpful and such, they also gave me a great deal and warentee all there work and dont try to weasle out of everything. If perrin denys the warentee (which i cant immagine they would) then i will be holding the tuner responsible.
As far as the turbo not being cooled, i was never in boost once, and it was 100% highway and my engine temp was always between 80-90 degrees celcius wich is less than normal driving. Also, with the leak.. i never drove the car when it was overheated, and since turbos are desighned for such high heat, if it was a coolent issue i would think the engine would go before the turbo (strickly from heat) and my engine is just fine.
-Skippy

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
str8line86 said:
...As far as the turbo not being cooled, i was never in boost once, and it was 100% highway and my engine temp was always between 80-90 degrees celcius wich is less than normal driving...
What your engine temps were, and what your actual internal turbo temps were, can be 2 very different things if you have any coolant or lubrication leaks. A GT turbo is making some serious rpms at idle, much less with a little throttle to it.

Here's the bit: Perrin doesn't do any work on turbos, and they actually buy the turbos from Forced Performance. Forced Performance does NOT warranty any Garrett product. IOW, at best you're looking at a long, drawn out "pass the buck" scenario. Even worse, the CHRA's (cold side and shaft, which is probably what is borked in your case) are usually replaced in their entirety, not rebuilt.

Your best bet is to put heat on your tuner - tell him you followed his directions, he installed it, he has to make it good. Let him know you don't give a crap who robs who, or who replaces what, but you expect him to put a new turbo on it pronto.

That's my $.02.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
this is not a Garret turbo problem! Period! and if you read closely on alot of those threads, the turbos where torpedoed because of neglect.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Driving around with a GT30R with no ability to deal with a car down is not a postion I would take. GT30Rs and other midsize turbos can, and often do, take out shortblocks based on power or some exception condition alone.

I dont believe this was the fault of the turbo, and then to expect manufacturers to understand your weakened financial position is a bit... optimistic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so what are you all saying? that i am at fault here? i drove the car less than 3000 mi, 2200 were pure highway, i dont drive my car super hard. These turbos are made fore race/street aplication and if they were not cpable of holding up on the strip or auto-x (which they seem to do in 98% of cars) then perrin or garett would have no market. I dont see how this cannot be a faulty turbo. And if it was a result of the coolent leak, wich i had coolent in the car the whole time it was leaking and never drove the car when it was hot and the problem first arose, than that is not my fault either. I was told by two tuners it was safe to drive as it was for a bit and furthermore it would ONLY leak in boost, there was zero leak out of boost, i was never in boost and so this should again have not had an effect on the turbo itself.
-Skippy

·
Registered
494 Posts
str8line86 said:
so what are you all saying? that i am at fault here? i drove the car less than 3000 mi, 2200 were pure highway, i dont drive my car super hard. These turbos are made fore race/street aplication and if they were not cpable of holding up on the strip or auto-x (which they seem to do in 98% of cars) then perrin or garett would have no market. I dont see how this cannot be a faulty turbo. And if it was a result of the coolent leak, wich i had coolent in the car the whole time it was leaking and never drove the car when it was hot and the problem first arose, than that is not my fault either. I was told by two tuners it was safe to drive as it was for a bit and furthermore it would ONLY leak in boost, there was zero leak out of boost, i was never in boost and so this should again have not had an effect on the turbo itself.
-Skippy
Going by your statement I would still take the route of putting pressure on your tuner since they said it definitely would be fine to drive around on that turbo with the coolant leak. Since you never got into boost and followed their advice and the turbo popped then that would put the tuner at fault. To me it doesn't sound like a problem with the turbo. If it operated normally until the coolant leak then that tells me the coolant leak precipitated that turbo into failing. Think about it - no coolant to turbo equals a very hot turbo while running and after vehicle shutdown resulting in possible damage. Your tuner was mistaken to tell you it was okay to drive around on it. So you could try to get it warrantied through Perrin but I think your better off going through your tuner.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Skippy,

I don't think anyone's saying that it's your fault. But, you have to expect some downtime from different problems in "moderately-heavily" upgrading power in your car. Stepping up to a rotated GT30R, I would consider as one of those. I'm not saying you should have expected to have a blown turbo in less than 3000miles, but it does happen. You might not have heard about them, since there are so many cars out there with similar setup that run great.

People and machines make these parts and people also make the machines that make these parts; what I am saying is that although mostly taken for granted, not every single part coming out of the factories are perfect and you have to take into account of this fact when you get into the modifying game.

I don't really have any new/different solutions for ya besides the one's already provided. I just hope everything works out for ya. I have been on a similiar boat many times with my RX7. It is a sickening feeling. One thing, I would lean on your tuner/installer in getting this problem resolved. People DO make mistakes, even the professionals.

-Eddie

1 - 20 of 49 Posts