IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Hello. I'm in the process of rebuilding my EJ257 out of my '04 Sti. I performed a dye penetrant inspection of the block, and the test revealed a precisely shaped crack on both sides of journal number 5. This crack is also on both block halves. Maybe this is a casting feature, but it seems more like a separate part that has been installed in some manner during the block manufacturing process. Attached are pictures from each side of the journal.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if the block is damaged?

Thank you for taking the time to view my post.
Wood Machine tool Hardwood Machine Engineering

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW in inspection we call it an indication until it's shown that it's a crack. That is clearly something from manufacturing. Interesting that the pattern is different on each side, like something got pressed in that only goes in from one side.
There's dye around the fastener holes as well, those look like they might be pressed in sleeves. Not knowing anything about the manufacturing sequence of this item I'll wait until someone with actual block production experience steps in to the discussion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for taking a look at my post, and for the tip on doing a bit of scraping. I just did some careful scraping with a pick, and the shape is no doubt a crack. Attached are a couple of pictures showing the spots I scraped. And yes, there does seem to be a sleeve for the bolt holes. I may be using the word "crack" loosely, in that this interesting feature doesn't have the irregular shape of material failure. Instead, it looks like some type of bonding issue, or hopefully no negative issue at all. I'm wanting to continue with the rebuild, but am worried about this anomaly. If I'm not mistaken, this is the journal that receives the axial thrust loads, and it looks like the thrust bearing is seated almost entirely on the apparent "insert". I think I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone has seen this before on another block, and knows if it's ok or not. Thanks again for the input, I do appreciate it :)
Automotive tire Hood Wood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts