IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know any major differences between the Blizzak LM-22 and the WS-50 besides speed rating? Tirerack.com shows the LM-22 as having better cornering stability, steering response, and treadwear, but in real life application where I don't plan to be racing around like a madman this winter, will it be enough to matter?

I don't want to feel like I'm in a truck again, and would like to keep as much of the cornering and handling as possible, but I wonder if it really makes sense to spend the extra on the LM-22's.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well one thing you can look at is the tread. The WS-50s look a lot more hard core to me. Almost like a little truck tire. If I still lived back home in Michigan where you seldom see a snow plow I would get the WS-50s but for mostly bare roads I think the LM-22s would be a better choice. Looking at the shoulder or edge of the tread, the LM-22s are more rounded making them a quieter, better performing tire I would think. The groves are not as wide either.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was hoping to go through Les Schwab for my tires, but they don't have the Blizzak's. The reason I wanted to use them is their customer service is second to none.

They wanted to sell me the Toyo Observe studless radial. Definitely looks like a snow tire more than anything. They want over $900 for them mounted though. Didn't really want to spend that much just on tires.

I may be taking this car up to the ski resorts this winter if we go snowboarding, so I'm still not sure as to what I want to do. If I had another set of wheels to mount my winter tires on, it would sure make things easier, but I don't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts