IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 21 sti and it has a drilled rotors. I use it for daily and occassional canyon runs here in CA. I'm planning to get a new rotor because i started hearing squeaks everytime i brake on low mph (around 20mph and below). Got it checked to a shop and said that it's warped. I'm a little disappointed because the car only has 8k miles and was already warped. Just wondering what would be the best rotors to get base on how i drive my car.

Not planning to track my car anytime soon.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
803 Posts
Drilled is just asking for problems.
If they don't warp, they can crack too.
Drilled rotors do better in performance driving where they are heat cycled and cooled properly.
Unless your rotors are OEM and they come drilled, I wouldn't go there.

Just get yourself a quality set of blanks (like Brembo blanks) and they will last a very long time, esp on a road car.
If you don't get Brembos, at least make sure they are coated.
Nobody likes to see a rusty rotor hat through their wheels.
I've heard good feedback on Centric, EBC, Akebono, ATE, Zimmermann, AP Racing, DBA, etc.

If you said you auto-X or track frequently, that's where slotted may come into play, but for a road car, and even for track use, blanks are more than adequate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drilled is just asking for problems.
If they don't warp, they can crack too.
Drilled rotors do better in performance driving where they are heat cycled and cooled properly.
Unless your rotors are OEM and they come drilled, I wouldn't go there.

Just get yourself a quality set of blanks (like Brembo blanks) and they will last a very long time, esp on a road car.
If you don't get Brembos, at least make sure they are coated.
Nobody likes to see a rusty rotor hat through their wheels.
I've heard good feedback on Centric, EBC, Akebono, ATE, Zimmermann, AP Racing, DBA, etc.

If you said you auto-X or track frequently, that's where slotted may come into play, but for a road car, and even for track use, blanks are more than adequate.
Thank you so much for this info. I'm actually looking at KNS blank rotors which is also from DBA.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I see. Thank you for letting me know! Did you ever had some squeaks when braking? My drilled squeaks alot and gets brake dust really fast
squeaks, yes, but those (and the brake dust) are NOT at all caused by the rotors, but by the pads. I currently have Hawk HP+ pads, and once they warm up (which is a relatively low temp) they dont squeak. but when super cold they will, barely though, nothing that the stereo wont drown out (and i currently only have 2 speakers in the car). picking the right pad can reduce noise and dust. and ceramic coating your wheels can really make it ALOT easier to clean said brake dust.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If your rotors are warped, you have vibration or pulsing, not squeaking. Sounds like all you need is different pads if dust is a problem. Try project mu. They are good for performance and cleaner than stock. I use B-force and they hold up great for autocross.

·
Registered
200 Posts
15 yrs with the brand. Slotted rotors for 13 of them. Never drilled. I like the way they look. Performance wise, there is probably no difference between slotted or blanks. Some believe the slots assist in routing bake dust away from the wheel. I just use high quality pads to combat this as much as possible. For me, its mostly aesthetics I suppose. If slotted made that much of a performance difference, all cars would come with them. If you have the money and like the look, go for it, but you'll stop every bit as well on blanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
squeaks, yes, but those (and the brake dust) are NOT at all caused by the rotors, but by the pads. I currently have Hawk HP+ pads, and once they warm up (which is a relatively low temp) they dont squeak. but when super cold they will, barely though, nothing that the stereo wont drown out (and i currently only have 2 speakers in the car). picking the right pad can reduce noise and dust. and ceramic coating your wheels can really make it ALOT easier to clean said brake dust.
Sounds good! I wish i had my wheels ceramic when it was new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your rotors are warped, you have vibration or pulsing, not squeaking. Sounds like all you need is different pads if dust is a problem. Try project mu. They are good for performance and cleaner than stock. I use B-force and they hold up great for autocross.
I see. Will have to check that out. Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
15 yrs with the brand. Slotted rotors for 13 of them. Never drilled. I like the way they look. Performance wise, there is probably no difference between slotted or blanks. Some believe the slots assist in routing bake dust away from the wheel. I just use high quality pads to combat this as much as possible. For me, its mostly aesthetics I suppose. If slotted made that much of a performance difference, all cars would come with them. If you have the money and like the look, go for it, but you'll stop every bit as well on blanks.
Thanks for letting me know about this. I definitely thought slotted perform better than blanks. Good to know!

·
Premium Member
See about
6,389 Posts
Wasn't drilling originally done on bikes to reduce weight? It was lots of drilling. The aesthetic drilling get see on lower end auto rotors doesn't reduce weight that much. At one time drilling and slots were said to help dissipate pad out-gasses, but modern pads don't outgas. In a performance setup hole can be used to promote airflow. Drilling promotes cracking. Slots do not. Drilling and slotting can both help clear water from rotors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts