IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics of their Black '04 STi with tints? Also what % tint is it? I am wondering because I just got my new '04 STi!!!! and i want to tint it, but am not sure whether I want limo or something else. Please post pics so I can make a good decision! thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
STIml8n said:
Does anyone have pics of their Black '04 STi with tints? Also what % tint is it? I am wondering because I just got my new '04 STi!!!! and i want to tint it, but am not sure whether I want limo or something else. Please post pics so I can make a good decision! thanks!
I'll either go with 35% back and 30% on the front two or 35% all around. Anything less that 35% (at least with Johnson tints) and you stand the chance of being harassed by cops. My friend has 30% on his Volvo 850T and he has had 2 incidents with cops.

-st
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
That silver looks great!!
I am going with 15%, 18% or 20% all around.. in Tri-state area where everyone tries to break into your car when they see a cd or umbrella inside, I'd rather have it nice and dark so nobody could peak inside, even when leaning against the window.. Plus, it's good when u make out with a cutie, nobody to bother u and u can do it right downtown.. Privacy is the key word here.. I am not even gonna talk about aftermarket stereos/NAV/XM/Sirius, which U wanna protect from foreign eyes also..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I have a black STi with 7% (limo) on the back and rear side windows. I have no tint on the windshield or front windows. I'll try to get some pics for you soon.

Im considering getting some tint for the front windows, but I know people that have been pulled over on the highway and handed a razorblade by the cops and they had to scrape it off right there. That would suck :) But I really dont want my stuff to get ripped off, so Im not sure what Im going to do yet.

Here, the front windows are illegal to tint. The rears can be as dark as you want. Not sure if thats the case in the USA or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
People are giving you advice based on their local tint laws (or what they think their local tint laws might be). For example, in California, you can have extremely dark tint back and back sides, but effectively none on the front sides (70% front, which is basically useless and not worth paying for). In Oregon, 35% all the way around is legal. In New Mexico, you can go 20% all the way around.

Any professional quality shop can tell you what your local laws are and show you examples of glass tinted with various light transmission percentages. Then you need to make a decision how much risk of getting pulled over you want to take and what tint is worth paying for. Personally, too much lighter than 30 - 32% and I don't see the point in paying the ~ $200 it will cost for a professional quality job with lifetime warranty.

Also, sometimes it depends on how strictly it is enforced. In NY, the laws say 70/70/Any (F/B/R), which is basically no tint front and back, and any rear, but a lot of New Yorkers seem to have no problem running around with 35% or darker tint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
SYSTEM PUT IN SAME DAY AS PURCHASE...

I HAVE A 04' STI JAVA BLACK..I HAVE 5% ON ALL WINDOWS..AND A 5% STRIP ACROSS THE WINDSHIELD...IT LOOKS GREAT MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
thanks :)

unfortunately i have WAY too much work and not enough time for personal work.

on a side note, i got pulled over today for not having my front license plate mounted and in the process the officer checked to see if my tint was legal. im convinced he pulled me over cause the car fit the racer profile. never been so pissed off in my entire life. anyways, my tint was 1 point away from being illegal according to his nifty little electronic tint checker thing.

be careful out there and screw the round rock p.d.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Other then driving your car . . . you need make sure you make some time for personal work :>)

In tejas one most have a front mounted place as well. In addition I've been told to make sure and not cover the "Texas" which is at the top of the plate with any part of the bracket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Here's mine...
It has titanium in it and a semi-mirrored look.
But the whole reason I found this post is because I just got an f'ing fix it ticket from one of the biggest pieces of shiet cops to ever carry a badge. I wasn't speeding or breaking any laws, he just saw the tint, and the lack of front plate and pulled me over. I'm 39 (as of 2 days ago), and have been driving without a front plate for about 20 years...I think I got a fix it ticket on a car once like 15 years ago for no front plate.

What a stupid f'ing law! Can someone explain to me why this law exists? Don't tell me it's to protect the cops (so they can see you). Because all they have to do is tell you to roll down the window. And besides...it's just way too rare of an occasion that a copkiller is going to take advantage of his tinted windows to get the advantage. Or is it so cops can see illegal activity (drugs, etc.) in the car? If so, then it ought be illegal to have curtains or shades in your home. Except for in the bedroom where sex and getting dressed take place. And finally, why can't I go to have this fix it ticket signed off by simply showing that my windows are down? After all, it's not illegal to not have windows! So is it that it's legal to not have windows at all, but there is a specific law that states that tinted glass inside the door out of sight is illegal?

If it's to protect the cops, "because some people are dangerous", then by the same reasoning, we ought to put everybody in prison for life...afterall, some people are serial killers and simply aren't safe to have out on the street. So we better be safe and lock everyone up. Sorry.

I know I'm starting to sound lame about all this, but A) I'm pissed, and B) I want a to get out of this stupid law on a technicality. BTW, how difficult is it to remove these windows? I'll just remove them, have the ticket signed off, and replace them!

Also! The cop went around the back side of my car to look at the exhaust...and asked if it was aftermarket. Now that's really f'n' pissing me off...I'm about to buy an aftermarket exhaust in a couple of weeks. What are people with aftermarket exhaust doing about that? Or is the only way to save the stock exhaust in case of a ticket, replace the stock exhaust for the sign-off and then put the aftermarket exhaust back on?

Fuming....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
Not sure why an aftermarket exhaust should matter to the police, honestly. It's DEQ's problem if it passes emissions or not. Cops sure as hell can't tell by looking at it!

As for the tint, I have mixed feelings. Like you, I like it on my car and would not want to lose it. Nevertheless, in CA you are not allowed more than 8% tint on your front windows and yours cannot even be seen through. Sorry, but that's pushing it a little. Yeah, the law sucks. But if I was a cop, I could see the reason for it. Maybe it is not very common that a cop who can't see what a driver or passenger is doing gets shot at by them, but I would not want to be that cop that does. I can fully understand why a cop pulling someone over in the middle of the night would want to be able to see into the vehicle.

Good luck, try to have a positive attitude and not show your anger in court. It's not going to do anything except hurt your cause.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Not sure why an aftermarket exhaust should matter to the police, honestly. It's DEQ's problem if it passes emissions or not. Cops sure as hell can't tell by looking at it!

As for the tint, I have mixed feelings. Like you, I like it on my car and would not want to lose it. Nevertheless, in CA you are not allowed more than 8% tint on your front windows and yours cannot even be seen through. Sorry, but that's pushing it a little. Yeah, the law sucks. But if I was a cop, I could see the reason for it. Maybe it is not very common that a cop who can't see what a driver or passenger is doing gets shot at by them, but I would not want to be that cop that does. I can fully understand why a cop pulling someone over in the middle of the night would want to be able to see into the vehicle.

Good luck, try to have a positive attitude and not show your anger in court. It's not going to do anything except hurt your cause.
The reasoning to not allow tinting for everyone, because an extremely small percentage of people are criminals (it seems like a lot more if you watch the news everyday...which greatly distorts the perception of this world's "goodness"), just isn't reasonable. Firstly, if the cop is concerned for their safety, they very simply ask the person to roll down the window before they approach. They're approaching from behind anyway, all they can see from that perspective is the left corner air vent anyway (w/untinted windows). And people always automatically roll down their windows. If they don't...then you've got a problem. But that's very rare, and it's just not fair to have everyone have to "suffer" when 99% of people are not a threat to cops. And besides, a cop killer can still very easily conceal his weapon without tinted windows.

Again, the same reasoning says that only glass front doors (at your home) should be legal. Afterall, the cop can't see jack when approaching a person's home.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top