IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
[Opinion]
why black? why rota? search perhaps?

hopefully you're not pawning off your bbs's for these inferior wheels.

Ok I'm not helping sorry.
[/Opinion]

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
05_GD7 said:
:rolleyes:

I guess SSR are crap too

or Volks

or stock BBS
notice all of those wheels you posted still held air and didn't cause the car to flip.

for winter wheels I'd personally prefer a wheel that wont break at all 6 spokes.

There are a few rotas that appear to be beefier than the Boosts, is what I should've said.

05_GD7 said:
The guy is asking about winter rims, not blingy mcbling bling show or track rims - give the guy a break......Clap, do you search for Rota threads daily? Seems like anytime someone mentions Rota, you're the first to chime in.
no, I don't search, I just lurk this forum and the rota threads just seem to sit here with no replies.

do you search for my posts just to point out the obvious that I don't like replicas? :lol:

no hard feelings, I appreciate disagreement, without it there wouldn't be any point in talking/posting.

-t3h_:clap:-

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
H4N said:
wow.. never actully seen a rims jsut break but, isnt the theory like cast rims break and forge rims bend?

not sure about that theory, those Volks that bent weren't the monoblock ones they were 2 piece GT-Cs so the hoop bent not the spokes.

I've personally never done any strength test between the two, but you dont hear about advans completely falling apart and they are cast.

and those BBS's look powdercoated, and we all know that that is a sensitive process that if done incorrectly can damage a wheels strength.

I've hit some serious bumps/pot holes with my BBS's and I they are round as round can be :D

·
I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
pt518sti said:
The theory is the other way around..
Cast will bend because they are softer and forged will break.
not doubting, just curious on your sources to this theory.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
not doubting, just curious on your sources to this theory.
Personal experience for one :p
A cast wheel is usually always cheaper and easier to manufacture than a forged wheel and the process makes them heavier and softer, which makes them more prone to bending.
A forged wheel has higher limits than a cast wheel and where a cast rim may bend at it's limit, a forged wheel shatters.

I'm sure there is plenty of info on the web on this, I just don't have a link offhand. There's also some good books that'll explain the differences between cast and forged wheels.

·
3,296 Posts
Mykl said:
This thread makes me sad to say that I ordered a set of Rota Boosts. I didn't plan on keeping them for long anyway.
My Rota Boost have gotten me through 2 winters with no problem.

If I remember correctly the person who wrecked his car (and from where the Rota photos above came from) was doing something foolish in the car like driving too fast, went off the road into a ditch, wheel broke and the car flipped.

Drive normally and you'll be fine. Many people daily drive/winter drive on Rotas with no problems. Many people track/auto-x on Rotas with no problems. You'll be alright. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T3h_Clap said:
[Opinion]
why black? why rota? search perhaps?

hopefully you're not pawning off your bbs's for these inferior wheels.

Black because they would be winter rims, I probably won't have the luxury of washing my car that much. Rota because they are cheap and besides this info I just received from you, haven't heard bad things said about them. The other being the fact that I love my car but am just learning of this cult thing that exists with it, hence the lack of knowledge...but thanks for the info, I will not be buying these wheels...any suggestions?
Ok I'm not helping sorry.
[/Opinion]
zzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
kts262 said:
My Rota Boost have gotten me through 2 winters with no problem.

If I remember correctly the person who wrecked his car (and from where the Rota photos above came from) was doing something foolish in the car like driving too fast, went off the road into a ditch, wheel broke and the car flipped.

Drive normally and you'll be fine. Many people daily drive/winter drive on Rotas with no problems. Many people track/auto-x on Rotas with no problems. You'll be alright. :)
I was wondering what the story behind that was.... like if the driver hit something significant (like a ditch). I've never heard of any Rota failing so catastrophically under normal circumstances, to include autocross and track use. All mine will be used for is for street rubber until I can afford the blangin' wheels I wanted in the first place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.