IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my journal that I finally decided to start to not only show and tell people about my STi but also to help get feedback and pointers from all the experience that is here as well as help keep myself organized! Thanks for reading. Let's begin!

Brief Background

My name is Mark and I'm a mechanical engineer from the best place in the world - The Lone Star State - Texas. My job, though not my ideal one or my true passion, and life have taken me all over the world the last couple of years but it's finally starting to slow down a bit and become a bit more normal (for me anyway). Well not to go into it too much, I like most of everyone on here, have always loved the STi and knew it was what I wanted. So when life presented me with the opportunity to finally be able to afford one of my two dream cars (yes the other is a GTR) I hopped at the chance. I placed my order and took delivery of my brand new 2013 Dark Grey Metalic Subaru WRX STi 5-Door back in March of 2013.

Project Goals and Car Usage - PHASE I

The car is my daily driver and the build will be geared for an amazing DD that is an Ultimate Street Car Setup with turbo lag kept to a minimum and torque and power across the entire power band. After getting the news that one of the rod bearings went :crying: - I said to hell with it and was going to do it right. The suspension will be upgraded as time goes on and I get a better feel for the direction I want to take it.

The vast majority of the project including the motor build and tune has been done by Turn In Concepts. I would like to give a big shout out to Tony and the guys over at TiC for helping to guide and taking on this project. I cannot say enough good things about them. Their attention to detail, knowledge & expertise, guidance, and willingness to work with me and keep me updated throughout the build while I was out of the country have been superb. This project would not be anywhere near what it is without them.

Project Goals and Car Usage - PHASE II

Well as I had stated before - the car lost almost all compression and with the results back from the leak down test - 90% leakage was going through the valves. Without taking it apart yet we have narrowed it down to the cylinder heads and most likely either a burnt or bent valve/s. While all of this being very shitty news - I have taken it as an opportunity to turn the car into my project build. The goal of this phase of the car will be "The Sleeper - Power Build". I still am shooting for the car to look rather stock-ish and honestly the exterior of the car wont change with the exception of perhaps a new exhaust and now the stealth FMIC core will be visible. Outside of that - I want it to still get the same comments that I have always gotten - "Oh whats this a stage 2 build?" :devil: Now it will be even worse than before...

My goals for the car are to push the envelope of what is the line between a "Street" and a "Race" car. The car is no longer my daily driver and will be primarily driven when ever I want to - with most likely more so on the weekends. With the power band that I am wanting - we are trying to save a bit on the bottom end while leaving the top end to go to the moon. Much harder to do but now I am willing to sacrifice the low end to get where I want to go. With the set up I am building - I have seen one other car manage it (Who happens to be a friend of mine on his 05' STi) and his, with the multiple boost settings - was very bearable on the street - but then had the kill mode of death! The projected goal right now is in the low 700 whp range. Stay tuned for more as this build slowly comes to fruitation over the next year.

MODS LIST ON POST #2

Built and Tuned By

MOST RECENT PHOTOS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: BJJMark95's 2013 DGM STi Hatch - So it begins

Built and Tuned By

CLICK HERE FOR NEW BUILD LIST

MODS LIST

KEY
Black - installed on car
Green - purchased but not installed
Blue - planned
Red- removed from car

TUNE
Cobb V3 AccessPort
Cobb Stage 1 + SF 93 Oct OTS Map
Tuned by Dom (Former Maxwell Power) @ Turn In Concepts

Turn In Concepts DynoDynamics (Cincinnati, OH)
93 OCT: 333 whp
E85: 378 whp

Engine Logics DynoDynamics (Houston, TX)
E85: 392.8 whp / 383.7 Ft-Lbs Tq

Kozmic Motorsports Mustang(Houston, TX)
E85: 384 whp / 393 Ft-Lbs Tq

DD Performance Research DynoJet(Sealy, TX)
E85: 413 whp / 473 Ft-Lbs Tq

ALIGNMENT
Front
Camber: -2.2, -2.2
Caster: 7.2 , 6.7
Toe: 0.00 , -0.01

Rear
Camber: -1.7 , -1.8
Toe: -0.02 , -0.06

ENGINE/INTAKE/EXHAUST
Engine Block
  • Manley A/B Bore Matched 2618 Forged Pistons
  • ARP Head Studs Standard
  • Manley H Tough Rods
  • King Engine Rod Bearings
  • King Engine Main Bearings
  • GSC Beehive Valve Springs with Ti Retainers
  • GSC S1 EJ275B Cams w/ new buckets
  • Subaru Crankshaft
  • Subaru Engine Oil Cooler
  • Gates Racing Timing Belt
  • Cobb Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • NGK One Step Colder Spark Plugs
Blouch Dominator 1.5 XT-R 3" Inlet 8cm^2
Cobb Black Battery Tie Down
Cobb Exhaust Hangers
Cobb Turbo Heat Shield
Cobb SF Intake + Air Box (DEI Gold Heat Taped)
Cobb 3-Port EBCS
Cobb Catted Down Pipe
Cobb Catback Exhaust
DeatschWerks DW300 Series Fuel Pump
ETS TMIC
Fumoto Quick Change Oil Valve
IAG Air Oil Separator
IAG Aluminum TGV Deletes
IAT Sensor
Injector Dynamics 1000cc Fuel Injectors
Killer B Holy Header w/ Up Pipe (SwainTech Coated)
Killer B Aluminum Oil Pan
Killer B Oil Pick Up
Killer B Oil Baffle
KS Tech EGR (Air) Delete
Mishimoto X-line Performance Radiator
Mishimoto Radiator Hoses
Perrin Pulley Cover & Radiator Shroud
Perrin Radiator Stay Brackets
Perrin EBCS Cover
Perrin Air Oil Separator
Perrin 3" Turbo Inlet Hose
PTP Lava Turbo Heat Blanket
Synapse BPV

DRIVETRAIN
SPT Short Shifter
Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch
SuperPro Pitch Stop Mount
Perrin Motor Mounts
Perrin Transmission Mount
Cobb Adjustable Short Shifter
Cobb Front Shifter Bushings
Cobb Rear Shifter Bushing
TiC Shift Linkage Bushings
TiC Shift Pivot Bushings
SuperPro Gearbox Crossmember Isolator (Bushings) Mounts
DSS Carbon Fiber Single Piece Driveshaft

SUSPENSION/HANDLING
GTWORX/Bilsteins Sport Cup Kit
RCE Yellow Springs
Whiteline Com C Strut Mounts
Whiteline Rear Differential Bushing Inserts
Whiteline KLC182 Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear End Links
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms (LCAs)
Kartboy Rear End Links
SuperPro 22mm Front & Rear Sway Bars
SuperPro Solid Front End Links
SuperPro Steering Rack Bushings
SuperPro Subframe Inserts
AVO Rear Sway Bar Mount Support Braces
Perrin Front Strut Bar
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar Type II Brace
Cusco Power Steering Rack Brace
Eibach Front Camber Bolts

BRAKES, WHEELS, & TIRES
Stock STi BBS Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40ZR18
Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Support Brace
Goodridge Phantom Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Project Mu B Force Front and Rear Brake Pads

INTERIOR
SPT Boost Gauge
OEM Navigation Unit
SMY Dual Gauge Pod
JCS A-Pillar Dual Gauge Pod
Defi Red Racer Series Boost Gauge
Defi Red Racer Series Oil Temperature Gauge
Defi Red Racer Series Oil Pressure Gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband Analog AFR Gauge
DamD D-Shaped Steering Wheel
Flossy Black Grip Tape Shorty Shift Knob
JPM Coachworks Alcantara Shift Boot
JPM Coachworks Alcantara Brake Boot
JPM Coachworks Alcantara Arm Rest Cover
JPM Coachworks Alcantara Visors
Prova SI Drive Black Knob
BearLock USA STi 6-Speed Shifter Lock
Subaru All-Weather Floor Mats

EXTERIOR
OEM Exhaust Finishers
OEM Wheel Locks
Tint 35% Front 20% Rear
Clear Bra - 18"
Perrin Front License Plate Relocation Bracket
Hella SuperTone Horn Kit w/ Subimods Bracket & Wire Harness
Perrin Front License Plate Delete
Rally Armor Mud Flaps
SMY/IPF Fog Light Kit
Premium Auto Styling Rear Tail Light Light Overlays
Painted Tail Lights By NEXSON

FLUIDS
Motor Oil: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
Transmission Oil: Subaru Extra-S
Rear Diff. Oil: Motul Gear300 75W90
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600 DOT 4

·
Registered
201 Posts

Awesome pick up and great color choice. I have an 08 DGM STi and i'm in Houston as well. You don't see to many sti's in our color around town. Where in Houston will you be moving back to? I'm in the Katy area

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Hahah no no masarati I'm not sure what my dad has at the moment. As of the sti - you don't see man STis period in Houston let alone DGM ones. I actually may have seen yours before! I live in a house with my brother up off the NW corner of the beltway and gessner. Works out well because I'm about 1.5 miles from kozmic hahahaha. I am striving to have all of these things done and have her detailed to roll out at the Coffee & Cars in April. Should be able to make easy enough. Then I'll be adding to this list as well probably next summer. Want to upgrade fuel system Nd a few other things to run an E85 tune as there are a few stations close to our place that have it. But I'm in no rush for that stuff so I didn't even bother to add it

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

nice ride, love that colour! looks like you are working fast on those upgrades! keep the updates coming.

and yeah that is DEFINITELY NOT a maserati...looks to me like a Buick.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

nice ride, love that colour! looks like you are working fast on those upgrades! keep the updates coming.

and yeah that is DEFINITELY NOT a maserati...looks to me like a Buick.

Yes I confirmed it's his company Buick hahahaha. And thank you! Yes the DGM is my favorite color - plus I have two friends who have an 11' and 12' WRX hatches and theirs are WRB and SWP... The only other two colors I would have considered.

I am - right now just kind if waiting for a sale at RSD as everything that is on the list that is planned I'll be picking up all at once :eek: so even a 10% discount is going to be killer! But hopefully with any luck Black Friday will be a good day for my car!... And not so much for my wallet. I'll add the other planned items to the list soon too. I think I will have just about everything I could do to it with out going for major power upgrades I.e. New intercooler and bigger turbo and headers. I don't want to go down that road tell I have another DD and I can build up the internals. But getting to ~330-350whp? Might be possible. Well find out!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Just a quick update - it would appear my first wave of parts have landed at my parents - can't wait to get back in 4 weeks to start going to work! I'll be ordering the rest in the next few weeks. Looks like my engine bay is at least going to be consistent and clean hopefully....:lol:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

So it would appear - but it's mainly just the engine dress items and I am OCD with having things match as far as aesthetic items where performance is great. Also it just so happens that my Perrin orders came in first... Not very thing on my car will be Perrin items just the parts that I think are of the best quality that fit my specific needs. I am actually rather interested in installing the new AoS from them as I haven't seen to many of them out there yet but it appears to be a top notch product.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I was just kidding around, I do like their wrinkle black finish on the engine bay shrouds. I also think it would look stupid to have mismatched engine dress items. Keep up the good work, that's a nice round of mods you just picked up.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

Finally a journal....congrats on the work so far. I may have to come over to your company, in order to purchase the new STI or Golf R.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks hopefully it will be to the level of yours at some point Photo!

·
Registered
297 Posts

So it would appear - but it's mainly just the engine dress items and I am OCD with having things match as far as aesthetic items where performance is great. Also it just so happens that my Perrin orders came in first... Not very thing on my car will be Perrin items just the parts that I think are of the best quality that fit my specific needs. I am actually rather interested in installing the new AoS from them as I haven't seen to many of them out there yet but it appears to be a top notch product.
Loving the PERRIN support!

Car looks great, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Loving the PERRIN support!

Car looks great, keep up the good work!
Thanks you guys have been great to work with so far! Now for December to get here so I can set out on getting everything put in! Hopefully if I spread it out over a few days shouldn't be too bad. A lot of updates will be forthcoming.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Just received and update email from home. Looks like my Black Friday deals have started to arrive! Still waiting on a few items due in Monday and pictures of my Cobb UP pipe and TBE as they arrived to my home in Houston but my stuff going to Ohio seems to all be in good order.

Thanks to Yanev at SMY and the guys at RSD for SUPURB customer service. Especially Yanev for all his input and advice. Guy has a lot of experience that is willing to share and answered all my questions in super fast replies.

Also I have an appointment set up to get a semi base line done (Stage 1 OTS + SF) so I'll have for reference. I am actually getting in to TiC's new AWD Dyno in Cincinnati over my break! Those guys have been super awesome in working with me to get it scheduled for the day I get back. It is extremely convenient as they have the only AWD Dyno in Cincinnati! I'll be posting up those graphs when I get them.

The stack grows!

1 - 20 of 460 Posts