IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted Continental ContiExtreme on my BBSs for the winter. For summer and track events I was planning to buy rims for my potenzas.

Would you guys suggest a bigger size such as 235/40/18 and sell my tires?. Would it make a big difference on grip/performance?

Suggestions please

thanks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think a better way to go would be to increase the width of the rim to 8" or 8.5" and stay at 17" diameter for weight savings. However, we are struggling to find a good combination ourselves frankly that would be economical. It looks like we will be getting the best bang for the buck with Work Emotion wheels at 17x8 with Toyo RA-1s in 235/40 size or may be 17x8.5 with 255/35 size RA-1s. I am pressured in time as well to resolve this as our track schedule is upon us :(

In general, first decide on tires, tire size and then choose the most appropriate wheel to carry them ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

255s sounds big. That would probably damage your suspension over time, right?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not really, as long as the wheel is the right offset the 255s won't do anything bad to suspension. How big they look or feel has more to do with the rims that they sit on rather than just the pure size of the tire in mm. The tire will take different shapes depending on the rim size. 255/35 on 8.5" wide rime would be fine, but quite a low profile setup.

We also decided to stick with the Team Dynamics Racing wheels at 17x7.5 size, but with 45 offset instead of 53. And We will put 235/40 Toyo RA-1s on them. Quite cost-effective, did not want to spend ton of money on track wheels at this time :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts