IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey guys,
What's the preferred method or way of cleaning the engine bay so it doesn't look so dull?
I have a spray bottle with a lil bit of degreaser attached blow gun with compressed air,after that start wiping with wd40 or similar and lil bit of elbow grease.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Encase all the sensors and electrical plug connections you can reach with plastic (plastic bags). Pre-soak with LOW pressure water, DO NOT use a free flowing source, from a hose for example. Use any mild degreasers you want and spray it all over the engine bay, then use a detail brush to work it in on all surfaces including the plastics. Use a longer brush to get to the harder to reach areas. Use LOW pressure water to rinse. Let the water drip down for a few minutes, then use a protectant spray (303 Aerospace is my favorite) and spray it all over the engine bay. Let it sit for a minute or two then use a clean cloth to wipe away the excess from all surfaces in the bay. The protectant will leave a clean but not shiny coating that can last for 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Encase all the sensors and electrical plug connections you can reach with plastic (plastic bags). Pre-soak with LOW pressure water, DO NOT use a free flowing source, from a hose for example. Use any mild degreasers you want and spray it all over the engine bay, then use a detail brush to work it in on all surfaces including the plastics. Use a longer brush to get to the harder to reach areas. Use LOW pressure water to rinse. Let the water drip down for a few minutes, then use a protectant spray (303 Aerospace is my favorite) and spray it all over the engine bay. Let it sit for a minute or two then use a clean cloth to wipe away the excess from all surfaces in the bay. The protectant will leave a clean but not shiny coating that can last for 2-3 weeks.
I'm scared to spray my engine directly with any sort of water. I'd rather put something on a rag/microfiber then wipe it down etc.

I have a spray bottle with a lil bit of degreaser attached blow gun with compressed air,after that start wiping with wd40 or similar and lil bit of elbow grease.Image Link

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
That's a really neat rig!
Never thought about doing that.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use a Milton 161 siphon wand and some simple green, then rinse with water... for built up gunk engine degreaser. You can also use a soft body brush for stubborn gunk as well. Once clean the engine bay is easy to keep clean if you stay on top of it. The wand blows mostly air with only a bit of water so it's not an issue for electrical connectors. Hot water works really well with the wand. You can also use the wand to blow the water off the engine so there's no water spots.

I've also used a powerwasher in the engine bay of every car I've ever owned. Modern electronics are pretty water proof. Water contamination is not an issue if you use a little common sense. Even my old '78 Land Cruiser didn't have any issues. In fact the only car to ever hiccup from washing down the engine was my '87 Bronco. Ford's connectors were ok, but water got under the distributor cap and caused some rough running. It was an easy fix though. After that I just stayed away from the cap.

BTW if you like S303 try Gliptone White Satin. It's even better!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
The method I described is the same method professional detailers I spoke to use to clean Ferraris, Aston Martins and McLarens... I was also skeptical at first but after I talked to a few people, they insured me that if I use their method, I'd be okay. They just emphasized that you MUST use a low pressure spray, better results come from a power washer. It tends to clean out most of the dirt, dust and gunk that you can't see or reach with just a rag.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Just cleaned it few days ago. Wrapped the battery and alternator with plastic bags. Spray wet with pressure washer from far, then wipe with soapy microfiber cloth, spray off and wipe dry. All done

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best way is to use spray degreaser , it is easy to apply and it also gets cleaned easily , the best part is that it does not damages the parts of vehicle , I definitely recommend to use spray degreaser . I have been using it myself for last 5 years .
-------------------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts