IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
You're going to need to upgrade your fuel system with any turbo you chose if you want to gain any noticeable power. This in itself will not have any bearing on lag.

The TD05/20G with the 8cm hotside was one of my favorite setups. Spooled like stock, had more power everywhere, didn't die up top.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cobb 20G or Dom 1.5XT-R. Both work very well on the stock block!

Chris

·
Registered
505 Posts
Really hard to beat a 20g (Cobb's or otherwise) for bang for the buck and great matching with the stock motor. yamahaSHO posted a great example above, and from riding in a few buddies cars on E85 and a 20g, it's got me sold on that is what is going in my car when I get the motor built this winter.

·
Registered
711 Posts
20g is likely the turbo you're looking for in regards to the top end. Generally, this turbo is considered a good pairing as it flows well with the natural torque curve of the engine. It's very difficult to get faster school, low-end torque, and top end without spending quite a bit of money to go twins scroll or ball bearing… Or both!

Depending on where your car is at with mods it's easier to tweak a few corners of these cars for more power. The 20 G will give you a nice pool but has more legs than the stock turbo. It won't really matter on a roll as it's much easier to retain boost pressure and higher rpm.

Where is your car at right now as far as modification? What is your budget? And why do you want a new turbo?

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
OP said stock. No turbo alone will help. He needs all he supporting mods first:
Means to tune, Downpipe, Fuel Pump, Injectors at a minimum.

So OP figure at least $2500 for new parts and tune.
To break up the cost a bit you can do the Downpipe and any of the other parts except the turbo (possibly Exhaust boost controller, and tune.

Then you can install the remaining parts, turbo and retune later - but then you could do a bunch more to make the most of the turbo: header, inter-cooler, fuel regulator, TGV deletes,

Added: Though it won't add power, air oil separator (AOS) ought to be in there by the time you do the turbo.

Reactions: Discobob

·
Registered
711 Posts
^^ This. And you should have more with an aftermarket turbo too...injectors, possibly rails and FPR, etc

Defining budget would still give us a good idea of where you could get the best bang for your buck.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plan
Cobb 20g turbo
Cobb turbo back exhaust
Cobb turbo inlet
Cobb Pro Tune
Now what do i need for fuel system? Dont want overkill
Im looking for strong and reliable 300whp (dynojet) (92 octane)

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
I was still writing, but if you are going Cobb just go to there site. Cobb stage 3 is close to what you are looking for and minimally/adequately sets you up for the turbo

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
This.

My 05 made 320whp at 5000ft elevation on a Dynojet with stock turbo, Grimmspeed catted downpipe, Tomei catback, SPT intake, and Grimmspeed EBCS.
There is a correction factor in there. You're not doing an un-corrected 320whp on the stock turbo at that elevation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stock motor with most of the bolt ons. I make 350WHP and 400WTQ on E85.

335WHP and 375 WTQ on 94 Octane pump fuel.

I could have made 500 WTQ on E85. But did not want to test the limits of the stock rods.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You're going to need to upgrade your fuel system with any turbo you chose if you want to gain any noticeable power. This in itself will not have any bearing on lag.

The TD05/20G with the 8cm hotside was one of my favorite setups. Spooled like stock, had more power everywhere, didn't die up top.

Image Link
I've honestly always overlooked the 20g for the dom1.5. What you're describing sounds like what I'm looking for. You're on the stock block still yea?

I could have made 500 WTQ on E85. But did not want to test the limits of the stock rods.
What bolt ons are we talking about here? 500wtq is a big # for the stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

YYZ's engine: Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much whp I make? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop rotating? A rod big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes straight through my block. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger. Some other guy goes WOT and gets some FBK and you think that can't happen to me? No. I am the one who knocks!

<apologies, I have vacation starting tomorrow and am getting giddy>

1 - 20 of 57 Posts