IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

what are the best tires for an 2015+ STI?

I'm looking for sport tires, street driving.

Any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and I really like them. Tires are very subjective though and it depends on what you want out of them. Tire life/wetgrip/dry grip/ride/price ect.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll third the suggestion for the Pilot Sport 4S. Fantastic tires, with a surprisingly long life for a high performance summer tire.

·
Registered
572 Posts
...Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

My only complaint is that the stock Dunlops have a stiffer sidewall, which gives quicker steering response and road feel with a bit less wallow at the expense of ride quality... but the MPS4S is better in every other way — overall traction, look, best tire ever in the wet, ride quality, and tread life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will the michelin perform better in the winter? Dunlops are pretty bad when cold outside. Thats been my only complaint. I will also be in the market for tires soon.

·
Registered
572 Posts
DEFINITELY not in temps below 55 or the snow. That’s why they have the Michelin PA Alpin 4, which is what I’m getting after the Hankook Evo winter performances I’m on now are done. Dunlop makes the Winter Sport 4D for winter performance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
DEFINITELY not in temps below 55 or the snow. That’s why they have the Michelin PA Alpin 4, which is what I’m getting after the Hankook Evo winter performances I’m on now are done. Dunlop makes the Winter Sport 4D for winter performance.
Just a heads up in actual snow and ice the PA Alpin 4s are not the greatest winter tire. I'm running them for my winters and I haven't been that impressed TBH. Might want to look at the X-Ices or Blizzack WS-80s. If you don't go through snow and ice they are a good cold weather tire.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
For a daily driver street summer tire, id go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Highly recommended on here. Like others have said, the MPSS and the MPS4S tire are not winter tires and should not be driven in, at, or around freezing winter temps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just a heads up in actual snow and ice the PA Alpin 4s are not the greatest winter tire. I'm running them for my winters and I haven't been that impressed TBH. Might want to look at the X-Ices or Blizzack WS-80s. If you don't go through snow and ice they are a good cold weather tire.
Those are entirely different tires. The x-ice and WS80 are designed for maximum snow and ice grip, while the PA4s are designed to preserve some semblance of performance and handling feel while still giving adequate grip in the snow. If you'll be driving in snow and ice all the time, get the X-ice, WS80, or my personal favorite, a set of Nokian R3s. However, if you'll mostly be in cold dry conditions with occasional snow, the PA4 will wear slower, handle better, and feel much nicer to drive.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Will the michelin perform better in the winter? Dunlops are pretty bad when cold outside. Thats been my only complaint. I will also be in the market for tires soon.

If you really want to run one set of tires year round (and you live somewhere that gets any snow), you'll have to go to an all season. The stock Dunlops and the highly recommended PS4S here are both high performance summer only tires, and are not intended for cold weather or snow. I've heard good things about the Pilot Sport A/S3+ and the Continental DWS. That having been said, you'd be better off just getting a set of winter tires for the winter and running summer tires in the summer. All seasons are way better than they used to be, but they're still inherently a compromise, and will never perform as well in the snow as true winter tires nor as well in the wet and dray as true summers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guys, he's in Nashville, not NYC.

The PS4S are great in the cold. Definitely not as good as they are when it's warm, but they still outperform an all-season tire. I recall reading an article fairly recently that showed, pretty definitively, that a summer tire provides better grip in ALL conditions (except for snow and ice) than an all-weather tire, regardless of temperatures.

Keep them out of the snow and you'll be happy - shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I’m in MD, and we don’t get much snow but the temps do wacky things. Winter performance tires are a better option than dedicated snow tires for me.

The PS4S had noticeable differences in grip stability even in the 40s, and there’s no way I would use them in dropped temps... especially in the wet. Having a set of summer and winter tread is one of the best investments I’ve made for this car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
...Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

My only complaint is that the stock Dunlops have a stiffer sidewall, which gives quicker steering response and road feel with a bit less wallow at the expense of ride quality
That is why I run more pressure in these tires than in the stock ones. And tire wear has been fine so far.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I recall reading an article fairly recently that showed, pretty definitively, that a summer tire provides better grip in ALL conditions (except for snow and ice) than an all-weather tire, regardless of temperatures.
I would be curious to see that, because I don't really believe that. I used to have a Porsche Cayman, and one early spring track day, it was around 20F in the morning when we arrived at the track. During the first couple sessions, I had astonishingly little grip. ABS would activate easily, and I could kick the back end out easily in corners with a bit of throttle (which was normally not a problem with that car). Once it warmed up to ~40F by the late morning, the grip increase was very substantial. I've never experienced a similar sharp grip falloff on all seasons.

Now, I absolutely believe that you can safely drive a summer tire in cold dry conditions. However, I would bet that an all season will grip better below 30-40F.

EDIT: I apparently forgot to say what the tires were on the Cayman when I posted this. They were Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I’m in MD, and we don’t get much snow but the temps do wacky things. Winter performance tires are a better option than dedicated snow tires for me.
Im in VA and i feel the same about our bipolar weather. Some seasons its warm, some extreme cold and random blizzards periodically. Can never really tell what winter is going to be like the next year.

I would be curious to see that, because I don't really believe that. I used to have a Porsche Cayman, and one early spring track day, it was around 20F in the morning when we arrived at the track. During the first couple sessions, I had astonishingly little grip. ABS would activate easily, and I could kick the back end out easily in corners with a bit of throttle (which was normally not a problem with that car). Once it warmed up to ~40F by the late morning, the grip increase was very substantial. I've never experienced a similar sharp grip falloff on all seasons.

Now, I absolutely believe that you can safely drive a summer tire in cold dry conditions. However, I would bet that an all season will grip better below 30-40F.
I don't believe that either...but that's just my opinion. Sometimes at a stop and have the wheel cocked all the way to back up or go forward, i would feel it slipping trying to inch up lol. Its like running on ice with no skates.

OP. I've had the MSS and ran for a year ~30k miles. Gripped very well but never really pushed it to the limits on wet terrains.

Currently running Continental extremeContacts this summer because i wanted to try something with a little higher tread ware because tires aren't cheap...will switch over to the MPS4s for the next daily tire.

Picked up some RE71s for the track and really curious about how much sticker they are then the continentals.

For winter, i'm running Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and lasted for about 4 seasons. Now just took them off the car, i've noticed some pretty worn camber wear. I'm pretty sure if i pushed one more season, i'd probably blow or show some cords but we'll see. Figure most of the tread got ate when our "winters" had lots of warm days. Will probably look into the X-ice/WS80 for my area but in yours, i know some ran the LM32/LM60s before they stopped making them. there'sa LM01 now and i wonder how those are. Maybe might want to try out the PA4s like the others mentioned. All depends on your needs/wallet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
itsm3ming: before you get xi3 or ws80, look into Nokian. I've run both the Hakka 9 studded tires and the Hakka R3 studless and I'll never go back to Blizzaks again. My current setup is Hakka 9 studded in the winter and Michelin PS4S in the summer, and I couldn't be happier with it (though I'm probably going to swap to the Hakka R3 studless when these wear out - the studs are kind of annoying on dry pavement).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts