IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thread title pretty much says it all. Looking for suggestions on the highest quality muffler deletes available for a 20 STI. I want something that has as close to OEM fitment as possible. Something that uses quality material with good fit and finish is ideal. I want to avoid anything that has potential clearance issues with the rear valence because of fitment. It seems like a lot of guys prefer the Nameless muffler deletes but their website doesn’t show the actual product on the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nameless is the way to go. I had some on mine and they fit great before I switched to a full turbo back exhaust

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why waste money on a muffler delete?
Why not just get a catback which will benefit the car more.
Personally, I find most that do muffler deletes end up just doing a catback later in there life. Muffler deletes are very loud don't benefit the car in anyway.

So I don't recommend them =P

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why waste money on a muffler delete?
Why not just get a catback which will benefit the car more.
Personally, I find most that do muffler deletes end up just doing a catback later in there life. Muffler deletes are very loud don't benefit the car in anyway.

So I don't recommend them =P
I’m looking to keep the car as close to stock as possible with the exception of sound. It’s strictly a weekend toy so loud is essentially what I’m looking for. Realistically any gain from a catback is pretty negligible performance wise without a tune. If I’m just looking for more sound $1,000+ for a full catback just doesn’t seem logical to me

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can unbolt your mufflers and do a sound check, delete will basically sound the same, so you can see if it's the sound you're looking for. I personally don't like the ones I've heard in person, but sound is a personal. If you scroll to the bottom of nameless product page, there's a bunch of customer photos.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I’m looking to keep the car as close to stock as possible with the exception of sound. It’s strictly a weekend toy so loud is essentially what I’m looking for. Realistically any gain from a catback is pretty negligible performance wise without a tune. If I’m just looking for more sound $1,000+ for a full catback just doesn’t seem logical to me
I understand your logic behind it all but i have to agree with Mr.Impreza. In my opinion, muffler deletes sound horrible. Yes the gains from muffler deletes & catback are next to nothing if anyting at all whatsoever. Id rather have a refined sound than a just blatently assult of raw loudness at all times. For that, you might as well go for a true straight pipe design and atleast gain something out of it. Just my 2cents :)

You know some of these muffler delete axle backs arent cheap, for a few bucks more you can probably get yourself a decent quality catback and be loud too. You can even get them used. Tomie, Invidia, are usually around everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ETS Axleback with muffler sounds pretty good, but there aren't too many soundclips online. One thing to note is that a local tuner told me they have issues even with catbacks on stock STi's. Some STi's tend to boost creep even on factory exhaust, so the catback may make that issue worse. The max PSI went up a few points after he installed a catback on a stock STi. I was told this is due to the crappy factory waste gate. For that reason I'm going with the ETS axleback since theoretically it should be the less disruptive to the factory system.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ETS Axleback with muffler sounds pretty good, but there aren't too many soundclips online. One thing to note is that a local tuner told me they have issues even with catbacks on stock STi's. Some STi's tend to boost creep even on factory exhaust, so the catback may make that issue worse. The max PSI went up a few points after he installed a catback on a stock STi. I was told this is due to the crappy factory waste gate. For that reason I'm going with the ETS axleback since theoretically it should be the less disruptive to the factory system.
Boost creep with stock intake and downpipe, well thats the first ive herd of that. I find it pretty hard to believe that would happen with such a restrictive setup. I dont see how adding a catback would add to boost creep if the car still has everything else stock. If you think about it, the catback changes nothing in terms of how the air is proccessed or how exhaust gas is moved at a point where its productive for the most part. Its litterally larger piping and mufflers after engine, after turbo, after cat, on the exit path of the exhaust system.

I think you may want to get a second opinion on this and ask another pro tuner.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was in the same situation two weeks ago. And I have some serious OCD issues when it comes to cars so you may find this post to be somewhat long winded. Just to clarify, for me the term "axel backs" can be somewhat confusing. Because some "axel backs" are a muffler deletes and some are smaller mufflers. Just for my post, axel back refers to smaller mufflers and not a muffler delete.

1) FYI, Subaru made changes to STI's exhaust starting with the Type RA and 19+ STI's. So make sure whatever you decide on will fits 19+ STI's.
2) An alternative for you is to keep an eye on the your local classifies here, CL or FB Marketplace. This is such a popular platform and people are modding and de-modding for various reasons. You can pick up a quality CBE for the price of a new axel back/muffler delete sometimes. Only thing is, you will want to replace all the gaskets and maybe the mounting hardware depending on their condition. That's what I did two weeks ago with a Borla S-Type for $500 and because it is a slip joint type, I only needed a new donut gasket and new washers as I was able to make that work with OEM spring bolts. And of course, you can find used axel backs and muffler deletes as well. Exhaust systems are one of the few car parts I will consider buying used.
3) I differ a little with the others here about muffler delete/axel backs being too loud for the 19+ STI's. I think the revised exhaust with the larger resonator is the reason for that. I have not heard them in person but I did find a video comparing Remark muffler delete and Borla S-Type. Do note that the Borla S-Type is considered as one of the more quiet CBE systems on the market. For your reference, here is the video:

Good luck on finding what you want for your STI. Enjoy your STI and happy motoring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nameless has has the option for 4" and 5" mufflers that tame the sounds and still cost significantly less than a catback.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Before 2019, Subaru offers the SPT/STI CBE on STI's and still do on the WRX today. I am pretty sure that Subaru does not re-flash any of those car's ECU to account for the this change. Perhaps you should bring this up with your tuner and see which way he/she is going to spin you. I agree with Jay11STI, if your tuner has issues with regular aftermarket CBE on stock STI's, this tuner may want to consider a career change sooner rather than later and you should definitely look for another tuner for a second opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boost creep with stock intake and downpipe, well thats the first ive herd of that. I find it pretty hard to believe that would happen with such a restrictive setup. I dont see how adding a catback would add to boost creep if the car still has everything else stock. If you think about it, the catback changes nothing in terms of how the air is proccessed or how exhaust gas is moved at a point where its productive for the most part. Its litterally larger piping and mufflers after engine, after turbo, after cat, on the exit path of the exhaust system.

I think you may want to get a second opinion on this and ask another pro tuner.
I have no evidence but changing the catback from stock to 3" may create a pressure difference out the rear. Even though technically you aren't disturbing the resistance, there has been cases of stock tunes having creep boost when I searched online. Not sure if it's caused by the tune itself or the stock waste gate, but I just found it strange that the tuner was very honest about that. He could simply tell me it's fine and take my money for the catback install.

Regardless, I'm going to take your advice and check with other tuners. Been sitting on the fence about a catback on my new stock STi for a while but wanted to wait until I can do an external waste gate with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts