IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
o boy, here we go again with an oil argument, use the search button, that being said:

many people have had good luck with Mobil 1 synthetic, others have used royal purple, quaker, etc.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What is the best weight to use for all around weather? 5w30, 10w30? I'm too lazy to go look in my owners manual. :p

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm using German Castrol Syntec 0w30. I switched from regular 5w30 Syntec. Only 300 miles on it so far, but the car likes it.

My car liked to drink Mobil 1 5w30.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
royal purple FTW

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just talking about this tonight, I switched from Mobil 1 to castrol syntec just to check it out... Mobil 1 burned quick and needed to be added halfway between intervals, and looked like sludge when draining at 3k. Castrol didn't burn a drop and looked clean after 3.5k. Thinking about a permanent switch????

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
SonicBoom said:
Just talking about this tonight, I switched from Mobil 1 to castrol syntec just to check it out... Mobil 1 burned quick and needed to be added halfway between intervals, and looked like sludge when draining at 3k. Castrol didn't burn a drop and looked clean after 3.5k. Thinking about a permanent switch????
try royal purple syn.....you'll never go back mobil 1 or castrol

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Zach STI said:
What is the best weight to use for all around weather? 5w30, 10w30? I'm too lazy to go look in my owners manual. :p
5w 30 when cold.

10w 30 in summer.

if your too lazy to switch go 5w30 all the time.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
The manual calls for 5W-30.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

·
Gunnin' it.
5,148 Posts
Quaker Synthetic...I always thought those commercials were bs, but it actually does let all of your horses out. Q FTW!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
+1 for german castrol synthetic 0w30

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use Amsoil with their special filter.

EL

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I usually use Mobil 1 5w 30, but I'll probably try the royal purple this coming oil change. I've got to do one soon and a place near my house sells it, so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Amsoil 5w30

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
SonicBoom said:
For some reason it seems like our cars really don't like Mobil 1 based on how many people have problems with the engine making it disappear. Castrol has been good for me so far. The only oil the engine loses gets lost through the worn out crush washer on the drain plug that I need to replace.

reeksti said:
try royal purple syn.....you'll never go back mobil 1 or castrol
Do you have oil analysis results suggesting that Royal Purple is *that* much better than Mobil 1 or Castrol?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
LightWerkz said:
I noticed Mobil 1 burns too fast. Switched to Castrol Syntec and couldnt be happier. However I am trying Royal Purple Tmrw..
u'll love it man

1 - 20 of 92 Posts