IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Not sure where to post this..

Im looking for feedback as to which gen is best suited for fairly moderate track work?

My previous car as an FRS that was heavily modifid and before that I raced an S2000 and was pretty involved.

Now Im looking for a 4dr that will b modded to ‘street’ class spec, or thereabouts.

Is the multi link rear suspension a huge upgrade?
Did the ‘15+ gain anything worth mentioning?

Im looking for something as low cost as possible that will turn a decent lap time on R comps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Welcome d k,

Ok first things first. This is not the ideal chassis for TA. Heavy chassis, unreliable engines that run hot.
You can make it work but how far will depend on your budget.

For moderate track use and "street class"and assuming you are set on Subaru as starting point:
GC is the best chassis, small compact and light weight.

Get a straight two door shell, put GD subframes and 5x114 suspension in, 6 speed and get a closed deck motor from a good builder: P2P, IAG,...

To be competitive you need around 550whp on your high boost plus a well sorted chassis and reliability...

If you cant find a GC shell, clean GDB.
VA is a heavier chassis, needs serious stripping to reduce weight to 1400kgs (you can get 1200s in GC easily). However a very good and stiff chassis. Sally has built one and looks fast and promising however, she has IAG backing.

In my books:
GC>GD>VA>rest

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Agree with everything TBAG said. Sooo much money to make an EJ "reliable." bu5 if you're dead set, earlier models are much lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys!

Im not ‘set’ on anyhing at this point.
Ive done a buttload of research and thats what has led me here.

My FRS started off the same way, nect thing I know, its a trailer queen but at least winning races.

This time around Im ‘limiting’ myself to no going past the street class and Id like it to be a 4door (2dr/4seater ok)
(I tried to post a pic of my frs, but my photobucket is being weird)

Im not ‘married’ to any brand or any chassis att his point. I figured an awd would be a better starting point and I looked Evo X, but the dual clutch rebuild is xpensive/scary.

So not sure where to go from here....
If you have suggestions, Im all ears

I would like 3200lb race weight or less, a car that will fit 285’s, a car that will b competitive in the street class and either rwd or awd.

FYI, another chassis Im researching is the BMW M235i

Thanks

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
+1 for TBAG's advice. Spot on.

If you must have a Subaru, plan on spending some serious dough and face reliability issues if you want to be 'reliably' competitive. With the money it will take, there are other platforms that will take a lot less time (for the same money) to keep them on the track. I see a lot of road course guys get frustrated and go to GT3s, as you spend the same money keeping a Subaru intact and far more often need to winch it onto the trailer at the end of the day.

I love these cars, but knowing where their natural capabilities lie will save you some serious money and frustration.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To be competitive you need around 550whp on your high boost plus a well sorted chassis and reliability...

If you must have a Subaru, plan on spending some serious dough and face reliability issues if you want to be 'reliably' competitive. With the money it will take, there are other platforms that will take a lot less time (for the same money) to keep them on the track. I see a lot of road course guys get frustrated and go to GT3s, as you spend the same money keeping a Subaru intact and far more often need to winch it onto the trailer at the end of the day.

I love these cars, but knowing where their natural capabilities lie will save you some serious money and frustration.
Where do these cars' natural capabilities lie? KillerB, are you talking about spending GT3 money to make the car reliable at 550whp+ level?

I'm in a spot where I love this car and like the idea of performance driving, considering Time Attack like the OP. I know I need a lot more seat time though, and the car is still nearly stock. Would love the input from two forum members who have "been there/done that", so to speak.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Where do these cars' natural capabilities lie? KillerB, are you talking about spending GT3 money to make the car reliable at 550whp+ level?

I'm in a spot where I love this car and like the idea of performance driving, considering Time Attack like the OP. I know I need a lot more seat time though, and the car is still nearly stock. Would love the input from two forum members who have "been there/done that", so to speak.
Read my journal, you can get an idea.

550whp street is doable reasonably easily. On track its completely different. And I confirm IT IS GT3 money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Another point:

A friend of mine used to have an Evo9 and he won Clubsprint AND Open class of WTAC with it. He eventually sold the car and now runs a manual Evo X, simple 450-480whp build. Not as fast as the Evo 9 but he drives to track and back. Talking to him, he said he learnt from his mistakes.

There is a lesson in there for all of us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I do not HAVE have a Subaru....I only figured thats what a lot of guys run, so it must be good.

What are some of the other platforms that you speak of?

GT3 money is not only large to start, but Porsche motorsport consumables are ridiculous and for that speed/money, Id rather go with a C6 Corvette.

Are Evos easier/cheaper to make fast?

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
DK are you on the book of faces? Ask this question on the Global Time Attack Page/Group or Track Subies or Track Midwest ( where a bunch of Gridlife members congregate ). Put on your big boy pants as they don’t hold back. Good responses here, but you need to see the World view. Also there is the Time Attack Builders Group over there. See also what the WTAC guys are doing, join there group.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I do not HAVE have a Subaru....I only figured thats what a lot of guys run, so it must be good.

What are some of the other platforms that you speak of?

GT3 money is not only large to start, but Porsche motorsport consumables are ridiculous and for that speed/money, Id rather go with a C6 Corvette.

Are Evos easier/cheaper to make fast?
As much as I despise GM, Corvette is the answer.

I was listening to The Smoking Tire podcast when they had the guy that runs the Airlift STi, talking about his "fully built" car doing x.xx times at whatever track they were referring to. It was hilarious when Farah mentioned he had a bone stock, press ZR1 at said track, and it put down better times. Dude was speechless.

I enjoy my car as a project/toy, but the Subie bros over-sell the capabilities and I'm glad to see the honesty in this thread, from the people that know.

For what I have into my car, I could have boughten a C6 Z06, done some small mods, and had a faster/more capable car. Hindsight is 20/20...not to mention, LS's are stupid cheap for performance parts.

·
Registered
725 Posts

I was listening to The Smoking Tire podcast when they had the guy that runs the Airlift STi, talking about his "fully built" car doing x.xx times at whatever track they were referring to. It was hilarious when Farah mentioned he had a bone stock, press ZR1 at said track, and it put down better times. Dude was speechless.

I enjoy my car as a project/toy, but the Subie bros over-sell the capabilities and I'm glad to see the honesty in this thread, from the people that know.

For what I have into my car, I could have boughten a C6 Z06, done some small mods, and had a faster/more capable car. Hindsight is 20/20...not to mention, LS's are stupid cheap for performance parts.
Someone else mentioned the Camaro, and I'm not here to say that the Camaro or Corvette platforms aren't extremely capable, but everything I've read about just the vette is its still very expensive to run.

From Jack Baruth's articles talking about the C5/6 being a performance bargain (except to watch out for brake/tire consumables that those cars love to eat), to an instructor I know that has lost three engines on his C6 Z06 with headers in Auto-X, to the last GridLife event where the top three SM competitors were 2 Corvettes and a VA STI, and both vettes lost their motors (to be fair they're both F/I, and the STI lost its trans :lol:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Someone else mentioned the Camaro, and I'm not here to say that the Camaro or Corvette platforms aren't extremely capable, but everything I've read about just the vette is its still very expensive to run.

From Jack Baruth's articles talking about the C5/6 being a performance bargain (except to watch out for brake/tire consumables that those cars love to eat), to an instructor I know that has lost three engines on his C6 Z06 with headers in Auto-X, to the last GridLife event where the top three SM competitors were 2 Corvettes and a VA STI, and both vettes lost their motors (to be fair they're both F/I, and the STI lost its trans :lol:)
Not saying I know what the answer is...at the end of the day, everything comes back to money :D

d k - were you primarily looking for AWD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am on the book of feces actually. Member of the GTA group too.

DK are you on the book of faces? Ask this question on the Global Time Attack Page/Group or Track Subies or Track Midwest ( where a bunch of Gridlife members congregate ). Put on your big boy pants as they don’t hold back. Good responses here, but you need to see the World view. Also there is the Time Attack Builders Group over there. See also what the WTAC guys are doing, join there group.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 2 C5's currently. One is a crashed Z06 and the other is a caged base car that I'm swapping drivetrains with.
That's a wheel to wheel car.

I hate Corvettes and what Corvette owners stand for, but you can't argue with bang for buck platform that it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Couldn't agree more, however the LS7 would not be my engine of choice...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not saying I know what the answer is...at the end of the day, everything comes back to money :D

d k - were you primarily looking for AWD?
Everything does come down to money, buut you can either spend it wisely, or try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit....

I'm trying to do the former.

Doesn't have to be AWD (hence me looking at the M235i), but it helps since I can't think of too many COMPETITIVE 4 seaters without going to an M3 et al.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Evo X manual, mild tuned 400 to 450whp is my bet. However, you can still make a STI do the same, with a perfect tune, extensive monitoring and maintenance (which you would for the Evo also).

However, at that power level you willnot win GTA, SLB, WTAC.

You will find out GTA/SLB front runners in street class who run Subarus, go throught a large number of motors reasonably regularly. However, they can testify themselves.

I can tell you though, I run WTAC and I would like to think I a front runner. My impression is: it is NOT CHEAP. Essentially a high strung 500whp+ 4 cyl STI or Evo would not run for more than a few seasons before engine rebuilds as a minimum.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts