IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I think the lag of a FMIC is based on your hp and turbo you're using. I think with 400-500 horsepower, no there wont be a lot of lag, but i bet if you just threw on the aps 500 fmic on stock, then ya i bet it would a little, but probably nothing serious. My vouch goes for APS too, although perrin's looks pretty dang huge aswell, so Im not sure yet.

Robert~

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh, that why the EVO has a little bit of turbo lag?

would it be about the same as the EVO's?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
no no, the evo is a whole different thing, little bigger turbo on a smaller engine.. thats why its got more turbo lag. As their FMIC isnt small, but isnt huge to cause problems I dont think. Also after reading that the perrin FMIC requires no modification and is a "plug and play" mod that even supports the stock BOV (which means all aftermarket BOVs for the WRX/STi) then that sounds like an awsome peice. The FMIC is over 3"s thick and covers the full length of the grill... defnintely worth looking into.

Robert~

"The high polish intercooler piping will work with the factory blow off and retains the valve in the stock location. This allows for easy connection of the blow off valve recirculation pipe, retaining proper air fuel ratios between shifts." - which is pretty cool and nice, wont mess up your A/F ratio.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
yoshar said:
So, what is the Best Front Mount Inter Cooler for the STi?

:D

and price?

Thanks
I don't know, call up all the manufacturers and ask for their testing procedure and data. Post them here, and I'll tell you : ) I see some data here and there under specific circumstances, but nothing that I would consider adaquate to make an informed decision. What we really need is an independent test.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
would the perrin work w/o engine management? From what they're saying it seems like it wouldnt affect any of your A/F ratios and such and would allow you to just run high boost on the stock turbo (kinda like the alcohol injection). Just wondering what you guys think?

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would want to tune the car after installing the FMIC. It will be safe but not necessarily work the best without some fuel and timing tuning. The largest FMIC is by far the APS DR650 but it is also the most expensive. I am using it currently (you can do a search if you want to see pics). With only DR650 FMIC, a short ram intake and minor tweaking, I managed to get from 248 to 270 whp without any other mods at all. Not too shabby but to really get any power out of the FMIC you need a bigger turbo on this car. The stock unit is tiny.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hehe you always complain about how small the turbo is ;) so whens the bigger upgrade kits coming hehe ;) hint hint wink wink. Im really interested in your garrett stuff, as garrett seems to be the BEST in turbo technology.

Robert~

·
Registered
10 Posts
yoshar said:
ahhh, that why the EVO has a little bit of turbo lag?

would it be about the same as the EVO's?
I think the EVO also suffers from turbo lag because the car doesn't have variable valve timing right? It's a 2.0L just like a wrx. That's why the wrx has some low end lag before the boost hits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as the intercooler a current tuner mag(can't remember which one) put a top mounted APS on their wrx and had some problems which they had to tune out at the shop. Their car was modified though. I would think that you would be best to tune any aftermarket intercooler modified car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For front mounts, I think the Perrin is the best buy right now. $1450 for everything and it is bigger than the TXS FMIC. APS is also nice but $300 for not that much more IC.

Does anyone have the dim on the Perrin unit? I know it is over 3" thick, APS is 4.5".

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'd go with the Perrin, it looks like a promising deal. As stated earlier you can get it for $1400+ w/supplied bumper beam and its substantially bigger than the TXS, Blitz, and Greddy units.

***BTW, the Evo suffers from lag because it is running a bigger turbo(compared to STi's...hence, manic STOCK boost levels) on a smaller engine(2.0 = less torque).

-STiLL

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed the Perrin recently, and it is a big IC. The install was okay, there are some slight fitment issues (off by a few mm here and there, but it does go on).

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hatchy,

The intercooler looks awesome, thanks for the pics. I see that you had to remove that black plastic bar from the front bumper, what tools did you use for trimming it out?

Thanks again,
-STiLL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts