IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the best fmic for 05 sti?
im just looking for best quality and fitment. also least cutting stuff.
and should i go with black or silver for my white 05?

·
Registered
10 Posts
JKonquer said:
what's the best fmic for 05 sti?
im just looking for best quality and fitment. also least cutting stuff.
and should i go with black or silver for my white 05?
I'm a big fan of the Perrin. It went in smooth as silk and seems to fill the nose better than the TurboXS. The latter has some areas where air could blow by.

I may powder coat mine black.

Russ

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also which fmic will work with jdm fog?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm almost positive the APS FMIC will work with JDM fogs. Also the WRB FMIC is said to be able to work with them as well.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's better perrin or aps? i heard bad things and good things about aps.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
does anyone know where to get a vmount thats cheaper then 4k?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really don't think v-mounted intercooler isn't efficient on sti. its technically, not even true v-mounted. in order for it to be v-mount, intercooler has to face down , not front. not to mention the front bumper isn't big enough to scoop the air in.

PE makes one for 4k, and there is another company that's almost finished up making up for sti.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I prefer Perrin over APS only because i have heard of APS's cracking down the welds on the end tanks and i've nenebr heard that from perrin.. Plus i think the perrin one is a better design but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hows the installation on perrin? is there lot of cutting involved?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
the wbr flows air counter-clockwise which i like.. but some have said that it wont make a diffirence.. plus its not that bad priced either.. i think 925 shipped.. plus they make a gt30 kit to match it..

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030906&highlight=ebay+fmic

seems like lot fo people are happy with ssautochrome fmic. its only 400 bucks brand new, i know its ebay product, but you cna't beat that price.
people are saying its fits good and works great.
that goldish/greenish bug eye on magazine with sun auto sticker on the side was using the same fmic..

any feedback on this product?

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
STimo said:
I prefer Perrin over APS only because i have heard of APS's cracking down the welds on the end tanks and i've nenebr heard that from perrin.. Plus i think the perrin one is a better design but that's just my opinion.
the quality of the aps ic is first rate. you are implying there is a widespread weld issue with it and that is not the case.

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
aps requires a lot more cutting than any of them.

the perrin fits pretty good the only thing you cut are some tabs and parts of the bumper....get it in the wrinkle red finish!

·
Registered
184 Posts
aps is the largest other than hyperflow. aps quality on my cooler is impecable had it for two years now. if you get the car tuned you will only have 100-200 rpm's more lag and noticeable top end power. if you get the aps you will be happy because in my mind quality is the best way to go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The ONLY thing I don't like about the APS is the intercooler piping. It's stainless steel rather than aluminum. Other than that, the APS is a first rate IC. Also, IIRC, the APS website says that there is no cutting required since it comes with it's own bumper beam. It's "supposed" to be a straight bolt in affair. But we all know how that goes. :lol:

I don't think you can go wrong with either the APS, Perrin, or WBR FMIC's. It's a matter of personal choice between them.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
adesso said:
the APS website says that there is no cutting required since it comes with it's own bumper beam. It's "supposed" to be a straight bolt in affair. But we all know how that goes.
just a clarification; the aps actually replaces the front bumper beam; it doesn't come with one (unless the dr525 is set up differently). also, there is substantial cutting of the plastic bumper cover required. the good news is, they include a template that makes it very easy to do. there are also two metal mounting tabs on the frame that must be cut or ground off.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
i would try the APS or perrin FMIC

·
Registered
217 Posts
BruceChapman said:
just a clarification; the aps actually replaces the front bumper beam; it doesn't come with one (unless the dr525 is set up differently). also, there is substantial cutting of the plastic bumper cover required. the good news is, they include a template that makes it very easy to do. there are also two metal mounting tabs on the frame that must be cut or ground off.
Well, see. There you have it. It's never as easy as they say it is. :lol:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It depends what size turbo your going with also. I got the TurboXS, which I am happy with for the size turbo I have. But if I decide to go bigger, i'll have to upgrade.
If I had it to do over again I would go with the DR725.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts