IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i am bout to go st2 (TXS TBE and AP) and am alreaady planning my next mods. I was planning on getting FMIC, 255lph fuel pump and 700+cc injectors. Now for the FMIC, Im not to sure how big i will need, the capabilities of different intercoolers, quality and fitment of product. I plan on running a LARGE turbo in the short future as well such as gt30/35r, green, red, or APS/DB s49 or larger. Im pretty much looking to max out the stock block and internals safely. So with this plan in mind, which intercooler kit is best? TXS, ARC (pretty pricy!), APS 525, APS 625, Perrin? And Ive heard bout injen being too small and blitz not being very efficient, so im not even going to mention them.
Thanks for all the help lately,
Alex

·
Registered
421 Posts
well if you want to go all out you can go V-mount but i think its a rip off

i really like how the aps has the black fmic so you can keep it looking stealth

but i REALLY like how perrin has the crinkle red tubing and you can always hi temp coat the fmic black

·
Registered
876 Posts
My experience has been that there is very little operational difference between TXS, Perrin, and APS. Which one is best for you is often a matter of aesthetic requirements and plumbing preferences. The implication is that APS has a CAI solution that works with one or more of their intercoolers. Some intercoolers work better with various foglights than others.

If you have few requirements other than operational efficiency, check out the E-bay FMIC thread.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I personally like the TXS FMIC. The core is a little smaller than the APS and Perrin units. The TXS is a good size to use with a large or smallish turbo. You could also look into the XS Power FMIC on ebay. They seem to be getting great reviews from those who use them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
JDM-STI said:
I personally like the TXS FMIC. The core is a little smaller than the APS and Perrin units. The TXS is a good size to use with a large or smallish turbo. You could also look into the XS Power FMIC on ebay. They seem to be getting great reviews from those who use them.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909584&page=10&pp=25

that is the thread for the XS Power FMIC on ebay. like stated above, many people love it and are giving it great feedback. its almost identical to the TXS, but much cheaper. i would go over that thread and see for youself.

its also called the SSautoChrome FMIC.

-Taylor

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
does the aps fmic require cutting of the bumper to get to fit?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I prefer Perrin because of the couplethreads i have seen now of APS intercoolers splitting down the welds. It doesn't happen often at all but the couple that did crack, APS wasn't willing to warranty. Plus i have NEVER heard of a perrin FMIC splitting, and mine works great so i prefer them.

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
KiTsuNe said:
does the aps fmic require cutting of the bumper to get to fit?
all fmic require cutting, however aps gives you a template so show you exactly where to cut and how much so you're not constantly fitting it on and off.

in comparison to my perrin, the aps build is just awesome...it's setup to not be a pain in the ass imo.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
VSGTS14 said:
all fmic require cutting, however aps gives you a template so show you exactly where to cut and how much so you're not constantly fitting it on and off.

in comparison to my perrin, the aps build is just awesome...it's setup to not be a pain in the ass imo.
i just read on aps's site that the 725 doesnt require cutting?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
KiTsuNe said:
i just read on aps's site that the 725 doesnt require cutting?
APS's site is dead wrong about that. You even have to cut the front bumper on the Injen FMIC. And it is tiny in comparison.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
well it seems to me that if your going to get a rotated kit, most likley you will get a perrin (just assuming) so why not get a perrin FMIC.

i spray painted my perrin core black with some standard issue flat black rattle can i got from supply. i porbly touch it up once a month or soo just so it looke like a ratiator to the shmucks

·
Registered
421 Posts
BrewPubeaver said:
well it seems to me that if your going to get a rotated kit, most likley you will get a perrin (just assuming) so why not get a perrin FMIC.

i spray painted my perrin core black with some standard issue flat black rattle can i got from supply. i porbly touch it up once a month or soo just so it looke like a ratiator to the shmucks

doesn't paint of any kind take away from the cooling efficiency? i know on dirtbikes there is this black coating that acutally helps heat transfer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts