IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the Accessories below, which ones are worth it? I'm 6'2" and will use the STI as a daily driver. Do the extra boost/gauges help?

Thanks

Armrest Extension: Helpful for taller people?
Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass
Battery Warmer: Always wondered about this..
Carbon Fiber Patterned Trim: How does it look?
Fog Lamp Kit w/Body Colored Trim Cover: HID's good enough?
Hood Protector -
Lighter Element:?
Performance Gauge Pack
Rear Bumper Corner Molding (2 pair)
Rubber Floor Mats - Heavy Duty
Turbo Boost Gauge

I'm having trouble finding bronze wheels in MA, only silver at the local 4 dealerships.

Lee

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
leebanger said:
...which ones are worth it?
i didn't want any options with mine and have had no regrets thus far. the armrest is the only option i've somewhat considered getting. i'm 73.5" and am worried about it intefering with shifting.

i see you didn't list the security sytem. is this already on the car?

the consensus about the extra oem gauges seems to be that they're not really worth it. but it depends. i'm planning on getting a 3gauge pod setup so i didn't want the stock boost gauge.

the sti is my daily driver also.

leebanger said:
I'm having trouble finding bronze wheels in MA, only silver at the local 4 dealerships.
hmm. i've been wondering is there are fewer gold-wheeled cars than silver. i imagine so, except maybe for blue. what's the body color?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Swap silver wheels/tires for gold, Southeast US

dont forget DRIVING SCHOOL...

best "accessory" you can buy and it will follow you forever...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly do these driving schools teach you to do, take corners, braking, etc.

Sounds like fun, but they seem to be very expensive.

Any located in MA?

The dealer said that subaru told them it was 50/50 for silver/bronze, but took that back and it's 75/25 silver/bronze.

What do you guys think of the color? I like the bronze.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
leebanger said:
What exactly do these driving schools teach you to do, take corners, braking, etc. Sounds like fun, but they seem to be very expensive.
depending on the kind of driving school you take, it'll *introduce* you to the skills needed to drive fast: safety, car control, braking, skid pad, racing lines, technique (steering, shifting), yada yada. note i said "introduce"; you're not gonna walk away being able to consistently drive fast. you'll have to go practice.

regarding price: it depends on which school you do. the big names like skip barber and bob bondurant are *not* cheap. but there are others that are more reasonable and are highly recommended; e.g. www.carguys.com. i plan to do one of these next year. i personally want a school that will let me drive my own car; why learn how to drive a mustang really fast if you have a front/all-wheel drive car or a car with less performance?

in the meantime, i'd say get a good book to introduce you to the concepts, if you don't already know 'em. there are many to choose from. one inexpensive book that i like alot is paul frere's sports car & competitive driving. only $14. i loaned mine to a friend years ago; guess it's time to get another one. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Driving school

ldivinag said:
best "accessory" you can buy and it will follow you forever...
:) agreed. i've heard it called "driver software". definately a priority, especially with a potent car like the sti.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been to the Bondurant 3 day course. It was very worthwhile. They let me bring my Camaro SS on the track. It really made me a better driver.

I'm due in for a refresher pretty soon. I'm thinking 5 day advanced road racing :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
New H&R springs for the 04 STi installed, PICS!!!

BONDURANT RACING/DRIVING COURSES
Call - Lee Siltala - 480-403-7614

1, 2 or 3 DAY ADVANCED ROAD RACING - $1495.00, $3195.00, $4850.00
Cars Driven: SVT Cobra or Bondurant Formula (For licensed racers!)

3 & 4-DAY GRAND PRIX ROAD RACING - $3250.00 & $3775.00
Car Driven: 3-Days C5 Corvette & 1-Day Bondurant Formula
The most popular course at Bondurant!

3-DAY POST GRAD - $2995.00 (For 3-Day High Performance Graduates)
Car Driven: 2- Days C5 Corvette & 1-Day Formula

2-DAY GRAND PRIX SPECIALTY - $2195.00
Mustang 1&½ days, Bondurant Formula ½ day (Great 2-day course!)

2 & 3-DAY HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING - $1895.00 & $2850.00
Cars Driven: CTS or Personal Car (Subject to Restrictions)

4-DAY EXECUTIVE PROTECTION / ANTI-KIDNAPPING- $3995.00

2-DAY TEENAGE DEFENSIVE DRIVING - $1595.00

1-DAY TEENAGE DEFENSIVE DRIVING - $650.00

1-DAY HIGHWAY SURVIVAL TRAINING - $895.00

1-DAY ZO6 Experience - $1295.00
Cars Driven: ZO6 Corvette (WOW!)

1-DAY INTRODUCTION TO RACING - $925.00
The perfect 1-day Mustang program for "first-time" race enthusiasts!

LAP THE OVAL - 2&½ HOURS - $350.00
Bondurant Formula at Phoenix International Raceway ( March 28, 29 or 30, 2003 )

4-Hour Fun Driving - $300.00
Mustang & Karts (Dec.31, 2002 & Fathers Day Only)

SHIFTER KART COURSES
2-Hour Shifter Kart Experience - $200.00
3-Hour Ultimate Shifter Kart - $300.00
2-Hour Lapping - $250.00
½ Day Advanced Karting - $450.00
1-Day Advanced Karting - $825.00
2-Day Advanced Karting - $1625.00
3-Day Advanced Kart Clinic - $1875.00

Lee Siltala
Lead Sales Associate
Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
800-842-7223 ext.614
480-403-7614 Direct

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Maynard/AZ said:
SHIFTER KART COURSES
2-Hour Shifter Kart Experience - $200.00
i took this course. it is soo much fun! highly recommended if you happen to be in phoenix and have a few hours to spare. when i did it, i was the only student. hard to beat a 1:1 teacher:student ratio. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
driving karts is a great way to get used to high cornering forces, and really quick acceleration/braking. i race 125 shifters, and pretty much everything you drive after that seems like it's a little on the slow side. but, nothing will prepare you for driving the sti except for...driving the sti. with a really competent instructor sitting next to you. ideally on an autocross course and then a road course. the autocross course will teach you a lot about how the car behaves(or misbehaves) when you get on the gas really hard while still trying to turn the car (it understeers like a...i'm not sure what, but...whoa...) and how when you do it right, it behaves just perfectly. the road course will get you used to much higher speeds, and sustained high speed cornering. i'm a fairly quick kart racer, but i learned so much in 1 hour the other day w/ a friend of mine who has been an instructor for skip barber for over 10 years, it was amazing. that was just on a 2nd gear autocross course in the paddock at laguna. oh, and by the way, 40 psi frt/30 psi rr cold seems to work really well w/ the stock bridgestones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
has anyone here done the audi driving experience? they have it at sebring (only 45 minutes away from me), and its done through Panoz. Looks pretty good. You drive A4s and TTs. One nice aspect i noticed about this course is that you use 4 wheel drive cars.... Should apply fairly well to the STi (with the exception of the 80 hp diff b/w the A4 and STi).

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
norcal-sti said:
driving karts is a great way to get used to high cornering forces, and really quick acceleration/braking.
what surprised me the most about karting was what it was like to drive with *zero* suspension. talk about getting thrown around and having to say on your toes to react. it was the smallest glimpse into what an F1 car must be like (...given that many F1 drivers stay in shape in the off season doing karting.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts