IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - HHR Storytime...

Almost lifting that inside rear?
Looks like it. Wish I could afford something like a KW Competition Suspension :rolleyes:
With hindsight my driving that day was crap. I shouldn't drive with only 2 hours of sleep in my bones. :lol:
One of my instructor buddys will drive the car and coach me next time I'm at the track to see what needs to be improved.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

Haha, 2h sleep that's nuts.

Drug dealing can fund all your passions!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

Nah, Drug Dealing is only efficent on a big scale.
Talking about becoming an arms dealer Lord of War Style. That would be sufficent for financing my passions :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #126

True dat although we're the #4 country in exporting weapons.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I had a very similar incident after doing a short pull when I first got my STi, the upper coolant hose got cut by the fan blades and I'm still not sure how because there's plenty of clearance. That was the first problem I had in a long line of problems and mistakes on my end (don't switch the upper reservoir and radiator caps if you flush your coolant!) that led to my eventual head gasket issues. However my car got hot at this time and other times after.

Glad to hear nothing serious happened. the fact that you were still losing coolant when you go back to the pits makes me think you didn't lose too much on the track. Coolant probably got on your power steering belt and allowed it to slip, resulting in the understeer. If the car didn't get too hot I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

Kyle, I'm pretty sure the understeer was caused by the coolant being spilled infront of the wheels. The side of the brake calipers facing to the engine are all dirty from coolant.
A slipping power steering belt would have been felt as a loss of power steering, there was no such thing.

Yeah if you mix up the both caps you're gonna have a bad time.
To be precise, when I opened the hood in the pits, there was spilled coolant in the engine bay and nothing more coming out of the hose.
After I filled it back up all the way there was still some coolant in as the water mixed with the pink coolant. I poured a good 5-6 Liters in there.

Looks like I got away with it without any serious damage.
Now I just need to locate the weird whistling noise I have on full boost.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Ah gotcha, I misunderstood what you meant about the understeer. What sort of undertray/splash panel are you running?

Glad to hear it all seems well though!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

No undertray right now as I want to monitor the header, oil cooler lines and sandwich plate for leaks. Might ask Lars to fabricate one.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Damn, you lucked out with likely not causing any damage. I'm honestly surprised that happened. It's great that you had people helping you out in a pinch and such short notice like that. Glad to see things coming along. And, yeah it definitely looks close to lifting a wheel:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)

So I ordered new hoses from the Dealership. Upper and lower hose are 26€ each. +4 Clamps + 10 Liters of Subaru Coolant.
Hope I can pick it up tomorrow.

Here are three Pictures from Friday:

Here's the Porsche behind me after I overtook him on the Parabolika:

20151009.SoR.HHR.4244 by Ben M., auf Flickr

Maximum brake force applied (well I guess the KW V1 aren't that stiff lol):

20151009.SoR.HHR.4246 by Ben M., auf Flickr

Well thank you Porsche for almost dive bombing me:

20151009.SoR.HHR.4252 by Ben M., auf Flickr

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

Maximum brake force applied (well I guess the KW V1 aren't that stiff lol):

The lean from braking is more spring than it is the dampers, dampers only resist "movement" so continual braking ends up having your dampers doing nothing after the first second or so...

Besides a setup stiff enough to not lean under braking that hard would be spine-shattering on regular roads... LOL

Although it looks more like the rear lifted rather than the front diving to me ( I could be wrong...)

Nice pictures tho! Even if that porsche did try to play bumper-cars...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #134

Had a talk with one of my driving instructor friends about the Suspension.
Basically what you said, Blue. :)

He'll drive the car soon and will give me advice about the suspension.
Off to the garage, to do list:

-Find source of whistling noise on full boost
-Maybe replace inlet pipe :eek:

-Drain coolant
-Remove Radiator
-Dremel the #2 Fan Blades for more clearance to the coolant hose
-put Radiator back in
-Use NEW Hoses :D
-Coolant in & vent

-Dremel Mudguard openings for 100mm brake vent hose
-Make Foglight covers be able to have 100mm brake vent hose connection
-Put stuff together

-Don't freak out
...at least the Beer stays cool at these temperatures (~50°F) :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #135

"Don't start! No coolant!"
GF doing the moral support.

Decided it was too late to annoy the whole neighbourhood with an idling Subaru venting the cooling system. Will continue after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)

Holy guacamole...
Inlet pipe...what a f*in pain.
And that thing doesn't even fit properly.
I wouldn't be suprised if the power breaks down on full boost. I mean, it has the rings to strenghten the hose but because of that bullshit fitment I really wouldn't be suprised.
Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow once I have the car ready.
Need to vent the Power Steering again because I had to remove the hardline from the pump.

Looks like the RHD Cars have wiring running over the Inlet Pipe between Intake Manifold and PS Hardline which the LHDs don't have?!
At least in that how to from Mishimoto there is no such thing.

If that thing doesn't run well on monday I'll rage quit :lol:

Edit:
Any recommendations for an inlet pipe with confirmed good fitment?
Aim for a hardpipe?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

What brand is the silicone inlet you're installing? I had to trim the silicone Gimmick inlet I used to have a bit on the air intake side to get it to sit right.

All inlets are a pain to fit, unfortunately. Hard inlets are worse. I have an AMR hard inlet and the fitment is garbage, especially when combined with a 3" inlet turbo. I've heard the APS isn't much better, and the Agency Power is about the same as the AMR.

Us LHD owner have a wiring harness under the manifold there too. I had to leave mine unbolted from the bottom of the manifold to fit with my AMR. I believe it was as big of an issue with the silicone gimmick inlet I had previously.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #138

No idea.
I got it off ebay two years ago brand new and had it laying around.
Well, test drove the car just an hour ago.
It runs. Tomorrow I'll connect the laptop and do 1-2 logs for Alex to check the map. He'll be at the Trackday on Monday too.

Back home the car pushed coolant where the return line from the reservoir at the turbo connects to the radiator.
Will try to source a proper hose clamp and hope it's fixed then.

Aparently the car still makes a weird noise under boost.
I tightend the nuts on the uppipe, downpipe, header and the v-band on the header-uppipe connection.
It builds boost nicely and feels as always. So I just leave it as it is. If it affects the car itself I/Alex will see it in the log.

If it is the flexpiece Lars welded into the uppipe I'll have a word with Stepjan who recommended the piece.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

As a long term option, have you considered Litchfield imports UK at some stage?

Need a bit of travel and boating ;-)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Well, a Litchfield Hawkeye would be pretty sick. There's a guy from Switzerland selling one...for like 35000€ :lol:

Engine wise I have enough Subaru Knowledge with Fred and Alex at Hand so I'm not worried if I have to rebuild.

Well, bring yourself and TBAG over here, we get that thing to work and can test it at the Nordschleife and Hockenheimring :D

121 - 140 of 838 Posts