IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Lars' progress #74

Sounds like a solid plan, Kyle :cool:
Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever plan on visiting. I'll show you around then :)

edit says:
I forgot to mention we're going carberry soon :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Nice and productive! I'm sure you'll notice the difference in feel and response with the Spec C rack. I agree with Kyle though, I need to move there or something. I've already been to Germany though back in 2005 for ~8 months; it was one of the best times of my life so far. It helps that I speak and write German too, although I'm a bit rusty now :) When me and the GF travel there eventually, I'm hitting you up and we're going to the Porsche HQ/museum!

I'm glad it's going forward too :)
Since I've been told there is no real need for an EGT Sensor on my car, there is no sensor in the Headers at all now. So nothing in there that can break and destroy the turbine.
What I meant was having sensors in the downpipe that close to the turbo :)

Can't wait for an update of your Journal, Baron :):tup:
I am about to update my journal, come check 'er out after! Bis später!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

Nice and productive! I'm sure you'll notice the difference in feel and response with the Spec C rack. I agree with Kyle though, I need to move there or something. I've already been to Germany though back in 2005 for ~8 months; it was one of the best times of my life so far. It helps that I speak and write German too, although I'm a bit rusty now :) When me and the GF travel there eventually, I'm hitting you up and we're going to the Porsche HQ/museum!

What I meant was having sensors in the downpipe that close to the turbo :)

I am about to update my journal, come check 'er out after! Bis später!
Ah great! :) the Porsche HQ/museum is really worth visiting & also the Mercedes Museum and BMW Museum! The Mercedes Museum has the most Info on German history and they have cars there from EVERY episode of German Car Engineering! The BMW Museum itself is a piece of art for itself. Very well done and worth a visit! Also: Bavarian Beer :cool:

Oh, gotcha with the Sensors! Well, Alex, who will map the car, said the O2 Sensor around 10-15cm behind the Turbine is fine. I trust him. He's preparing the new version of the Carberry Rom for his car right now. He's waiting for his Flexfuel Sensor to arrive.

Bis dann :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

For sure. That sounds like my kinda trip. I trust you guys know what you're doing. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)

I don't trust many people with my car.
But I do trust Lars, Alex and Fred with Fred being the walking Subaru knowledge tank.

Fred is in his mid 50s and a walking Subaru encyclopedia. Super nice & chill man with his own huge garage all for himself. A White Blobeye Spec C Type RA Tracktool and a crazy STI swapped 450+horse Type R Tracktool. People like him are hard to find and everyone who knows him truly enjoys his company :)

So I'm kind of nervous/excited to pick up the car from Lars this weekend. :D
And Alex and I just figured, we need to get rid of the Ringcard he bought with 16 Laps left on it. So we aim to go to the Nürburgring on September 20th.
I'm off work the next two weeks so I'll tackle the Steering Rack swap in my garage by myself after my Buddy with the Lift told me he won't have time the next few weeks...
Also I'll connect the Oilcooler with the Engine and do an Oil swap (It's about time anyway).
Once the new Rack is in I'll immediatly do an Aligment to be ready for the Ring on the 20th.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Sounds awesome, we need pics of his cars!:tup:

Man...I wish I lived near the Ring. I hope you guys document your experience!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)

I'll do my best to provide some pictures and hopefully a video.
Hope it won't rain. I have so much respect for the Green Hell especially in the wet!
Don't get me wrong, I love driving in the rain and I love driving in the rain at the Hockenheimring.
But the Nordschleife is crazy :D

The front crash beam is almost finished.
Oilcooler sits at the exact same location as with my modified OEM Crash Beam :)
Now he just needs to add the last few locations for the bumper clips to go in.

He won't mount the beam once he's finished so I can take it to the studio and take some good pictures. So the next proper journal update will be with DSLR Pictures only...you guys have seen way too many crappy phone pictures in the last couple of days :lol:

edit:
News: The Type UK STI doesn't have a rear bumper beam :confused:
So uhm, no weight savings on the rear end :(

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)

So I picked up the car from Lars on Sunday and after I got home I had quite a bit of coolant under the car.
Turned out the Coolant Line from the Coolant Tank to the Turbo was loose.
No idea how that happened. Fixed it & my GF and I went to the drivers training at the Hockenheimring the next day.
She did allright :)

Today I finally tackled the Steering Rack.
Wasn't too difficult, just time consuming.
Love that all the screws came off nicely, no surprises or setbacks :tup:

Took the car for a quick lap around the block. Noticed that the steering feels kinda weird when you turn it quick while being stationary. It's like "pulsating" when you're turning it. Otherwise it drives fine.

The car sounds pretty nice with the new header. Lost some of the deep tones and it is a bit higher pitched now.
Will mount the Oilcooler and Crash beam on Saturday on a Lift. Will take some pictures then.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

Noticed that the steering feels kinda weird when you turn it quick while being stationary. It's like "pulsating" when you're turning it. Otherwise it drives fine.
Thats a symptom of having air in the system... Check your PS reservoir for bubbles. I'd put the front end up on jacks and turn the wheels lock to lock like 20 times with the car both off (first) then on. That aught to get the air out :tup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Car back & Steering Rack in #89

I thought I turned it enough but will do it again tomorrow, thank you for the hint :p

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Thats a symptom of having air in the system... Check your PS reservoir for bubbles. I'd put the front end up on jacks and turn the wheels lock to lock like 20 times with the car both off (first) then on. That aught to get the air out :tup:
Yep, that exactly. Also check the tension on the p/s belt, it can have the same effect :cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Car back & Steering Rack in #89

Thanks guys, there was quite some air still trapped in there. Managed to get it out, now it's smooth as always :)

Alex said something that I'll need a switch he can wire in for the carberry rom.
I think I go for this one: 02 07 Subaru Impreza WRX Dash Cruise Control Switch Button Factory | eBay

"Press the CRUISE Switch to enable Anti Lag" :rofl:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Golden TMIC & Oilcooler in #94

First, I have to apologize.
Still crappy phone pictures. I need a phone with a better camera.
It's just so much quicker pulling out the phone than the DSLR.

So Saturday, I had time to do the Oilchange & mount the Oilcooler.
Had a lift available at the Dealership's Garage my Dad works for.
Good thing I bought 2 extra 90° Angles otherwise it would have been impossible to connect the lines to the oilcooler.

Need to relocate the ambiet temp sensor. It now sits between the Oilcooler and the Radiator & is reading a bit high. Saturday, 9pm, it had like 100°F...atleast between the oilcooler and the radiator :lol:

Today I tackled project NASA TMIC:

Need to get new screws & seals for the Y-Pipe.
You can also spot the new IAT Sensor Bung Lars placed at the lower side of the TMIC.
Lars needs to work on the header some more. It's leaking at the V-Band.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Someone's a copycat. Just kidding! :D

Looks good though. I felt like a NASA worker too when putting that on mine as well, haha.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)

I only copy good things I like so...:lol:

Car has an Oil Leak somewhere and it still leaks coolant, it's just a tiny bit, like 2-3 drops after I park it in the garage. Not what I like to see though :(
Looks like I need to spend some €€€ towards some new water hoses & clamps & check the Oilcooler System.

Anyone on here familiar with Bob Rawle?
Met him two days ago at our Club's Mapping Day.
Super nice british bloke, had some good talks about Subarus :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

I love that alignment-place I went to last time.
Just gave them a call:

"I need an alignment for toe in/toe out on both axles!"
"Why do you need that?"
"Swapped Steering Rack & rear adjustment bolts are seized, got new ones ready to go in."
"Allright, how about an appointment tomorrow at 4pm?"
"Sounds great!"

:)

edit:
Saturday back on the lift to figure out the oil leak.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,565 Posts

great journal youve got going, ben! love what youve done so far.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Alignment done! #99

Thank you Bruce :) Glad you're back to good health & kickin' :cool::tup:
I really enjoy the IWSTI Forums and the responses from you guys here in the journal. :p

So I just got back to the office from the alignment.
Dialed in the Toe In/Out for the front because of the new Steering Rack.
Same Mechanic as back in April, he was happy to see the progress on the car :)

Front:
Left: | | Right:
Toe In: -0°10" | | -0°10" (so it's 0°10" Toe Out)
Camber: -2°00" | | -1°98"
Caster: 4°30" | | 4°25"

Rear:
Left: | | Right:
Toe In: 0°03" | | 0°05"
Camber: -1°28" | | -1°32"

Now the steering wheel is straight again and the car drives straight :lol:

81 - 100 of 839 Posts