821 - 838 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Roof Vent, Quick Latch and Exhaust #818

Little update on here.
Hope y'all are doing fine!

I was going to replace the front right wheel bearing and ended up replacing both front wheel bearings + bushings...because why not while at it anyway, right?

Next on the list is replacing the rear bushings.

Also Sam & Holly visit every now and then when I'm sitting in the driveway programming the AIM Display. Gotta say, some things on AIM Dashes aren't really thought through.
For example, using a math channel to get my cars milage onto the Dash doesn't work because the function used only allows for an offset of 37....

Anyway I ordered a new map sensor and another IAT sensor to get the Data directly into the AIM Dash. I target to get rid of the OBD Plug so when pulling logs with Romraider you still have all the values on the Dash and not miss out on the ones pulled via ECU.

Also thinking about adding Steering Angle Sensor...those string potentiometers are expensive :eek:

I'll also get an Izze Racing IMU to measure all the Gforces :naughty:

Next up is ordering proper hoses for the Radium Catch cans.

Ben over & out

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

The new bearing and re bush will make the front feel like a new car.

Are you dailying this car?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #825

The new bearing and re bush will make the front feel like a new car.

Are you dailying this car?

Drove the car for 100miles / 160km today. I can't say I really feel a difference. Noise is the same, it just feels great to drive. Precise as always besides still running winter tires :D

I use it to get to the office on thursdays and fridays. Still waiting on the company car which should arrive in September.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - an offer I couldn't refuse #826

Last week I was browsing the Subaru Impreza GT Club Forums I'm a member of and notice a sales add from a great member of said Club. I know Uwe for a while now from monthly Club Meet Ups that used to happen more regularly in the past.
He found a brand new STI Gearbox sitting somewhere in northern Germany and had it in store for a while now. To complement his 6 Speed Swap in his WRX, he also got a R180 Diff, the last new one from Subaru in the whole of Europe and with those parts he's on the path to refurbishing his WRX to better than new conditions.
He also bought a PST Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft two years ago and had it in storage ever since. Now this year he started putting things together and his Shop doing the work for him found out the PST Drive Shaft doesn't fit properly.

So I saw the sales ad last week and immediately messaged him since it's a 2004-2007 STI Drive Shaft and I have an 05 STI...

Luckily he just lives about an hour away so I went to his place and picked the Drive Shaft up this past sunday, put the car on the lift on monday night and installed it.

It's basically brand new, has zero miles on it and the price was unbeatable so I HAD to get it :naughty:

Driving home the 2 miles I instantly felt a smoother ride and clutch engaging while the car also accelerates way effortlessly now...at least thats the first impression and I'm due for a proper shake down :D

I also did the rear suspension with PU bushings.

Not 100% happy with the PU bushings as the metal "spacers" you press into both bushing halves seem a tad to short. When tightening screws it takes way too long to get them to torque spec and you squeeze the pu bushings quite a bit.
Also the Spacer/insert which goes over the excenter screw to adjust toe in/out on the rear has too much clearance to properly hug the excenter screw snug for a very precise adjustment...if you catch my drift.

Now I asked my brother if he can mill me some proper fittings / spacers to get everything right. I'll show you once the parts are made :)

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Ben, be sure to inspect the driveshaft after putting some kilometers on the setup. You may find contact to the driveshaft. I'll find the picture later from my journal. Might require you to clearance the driveshaft tunnel and leading edge of the crossmember IIRC. So many years ago for my install.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Ben, be sure to inspect the driveshaft after putting some kilometers on the setup. You may find contact to the driveshaft. I'll find the picture later from my journal. Might require you to clearance the driveshaft tunnel and leading edge of the crossmember IIRC. So many years ago for my install.
Exactly. I fit my pst and it was perfect but I have heard some have had issues. Not just PST but also the other brands too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
Yeah I noticed some tight space where you said it is while installing it. Already massaged the tunnel with a Hammer. The front of the Rear Subframe will see the grinder to make some more room... Just for the sake of it.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Yeah I noticed some tight space where you said it is while installing it. Already massaged the tunnel with a Hammer. The front of the Rear Subframe will see the grinder to make some more room... Just for the sake of it.
I finessed the tunnel (read hammer, LoL) twice and did some grinding of the subframe beak and still the DS shows contact. I pretty much gave up and have been driving it. I paint marked and dated the area to see if it was still making contact. I'm almost thinking there is some flex (read bow) taking place under initial acceleration. At least in my mind. :lol:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
Happy to announce:
Booked the X-Mas Trackday with the School of Racing on December 1st!

Car is on the lift right now, it will get fresh oil, filter, clutch bleed, brake bleed, final checks and then we should be able to have some fun at the Hockenheimring :)

The car has been sitting in the Garage since we went on Vacation mid September.
I pulled the battery, charged it up and stored it inside the house to keep it nice and warm.
Put it in the car the other day and with the first turn of the key it started right up :tup:

BTW Daryll,
I have scratch marks on the CF Driveshaft where the Guard Plate is where the Diff Mounts to the Subframe. You know there is this little Guard Plate protecting where the CF Shaft is bolted to the Diff. Guess it needs some power tool finessing for extra clearance.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
Allright, here are some Pictures:
I bought some Oil...Ravenol (German Oil Manufacturer) Racing Oil 15w50:

My Golf Wagon company car is an excellent Parts Hauler, these are 8x18 Wheels with 225/40/18 Michelin Cup 1s:

The tires are the ones I bought back in 2016 for the Timeattack. They still have some thread left so I figured I might get this set of ATS Wheels from a Club-Buddy for a really good price.
I'm not sold on the black but for now it'll do. Thread wear Index 80 Baby!

I got these Porsche 997 GT3 Air Ducts which I made fit on to my Prova Brake Ducts. They cost me 18€ from the Porsche Dealership:

Also added a legit Oswald Performance Tow Hook to my selfmade Bumper Beam. Buddy bought the Oswald Beam for his daily but couldn't mount the Tow Hook because of TÜV concerns.

My Brother is still a beast with the Welder. He built me a new Battery Tray. This isn't even final. He wants to powdercoat it after the Trackday.

I fabbed this little Heatshield to give the Clutch Reservoir and Master Brake Cylinder some extra protection. Brother welded it together.
It'll either be powdercoated or wrapped in Gold...we'll see.

My brother, without him all of this wouldn't be as much fun:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
For whatever reason I forgot to post the recap from Hockenheimring here:

So the car ran great all day!
We only ran into a problem with the exhaust tip melting the Carbon Fibre Exhaust Cover on the Rear Bumper because of the Stainless Steel Exhaust expanding under heat.
Nothing to worry about.
On the Downpipe we broke a support bar which bolts the downpipe to the gearbox. Just caused some annoying noises, nothing else though. It's already been fixed by my brother.

With the AD08Rs I was were I wanted right from the get go.
The Michelin Cup 1s are way beyond their best times. I couldn't get them faster than the AD08Rs so they'll be given to some drifter buddies of mine.

It was dry all day. No incidents to report at all. It was great to be out on the track again and I am looking forward to being on track the next time and getting my new suspension dialed in.

Here are some killer shots from my Buddy Sebastian:

My favourites:

And here is a ~20minute turn:
https://www.youtube.com/v/3lBX1hbm7CM

https://www.youtube.com/v/998RYP305bM

821 - 838 of 838 Posts