IW STi Forum banner

401 - 420 of 838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI

Looks good right there. Be careful, don't want to lose any digits.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #402

I had the 50€ Snap Off in the Mail the other day.
It actually looks very well made and the Manufacturer states it's FIA Certified.

Another test fit of the Momo Hub with the Snap Off:

Turns out, I won't need another spacer.
Seating position is about perfect for me now.
I could move my seat aroudn 10cm aft and together with the Steering Wheel and Snap Off everything's perfect.

I'm also not touching my legs with my hands anymore when I do heavy work on the wheel...which was one of the most annoying things ever.

Had to take this picture. Isn't that the reason why the cool kids buy snap offs? So you can hang your steering wheel on the rear view mirror? :lol:

Now the only thing I need to figure out is where to mount the battery switch.
I was thinking about one of these positions:

I'd prefer the place in the second picture as it's out of reach for passengers and easier within reach for Marshalls at the Track.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #403

Started preparing the switch panel so we just have to wire it up into the car on Saturday.
Finally mapping the car the day after tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

I'm curious how you plan to wire all of those up, some of the items seem like they are internal to the computer rather than physical wires... (I obviously am not knowledgeable in this area and am genuinely curious)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #407

Well, as far as I'm aware, you basically wire it in on existing lines (which are not needed anymore or blank anyway) that set a one or a zero (12V or 0V) in the ECU.
Then you can use those ports and set the carberry rom to recognize them.

For example, if you get rid of the second O2 sensor, you can use that Signal and wire in a flex fuel sensor and set the carberry rom to use it as a flex fuel sensor instead of a after cat O2 sensor.

I'm no expert in that department either. Alex just told me how I should prepare it.
He did a few cars that run on the carberry rom and have features like the Anti Lag, Flat Foot Shifting and so on.
Wiring in the Flat Floor Shifting will be a bit of a pain as we have to mount a switch to the clutch pedal which tells the ECU the Clutch is pressed / not pressed.
It's easier on the JDM Models because they have switch there because you need to have the clutch pressed in order to start the car.
EUDM Cars don't have that.

We're going to do a documentation on saturday. I'll post pictures here. Maybe that'll make things clearer :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

You should probably mount the killswitch where the marshals can get to it easily :)

That panel is cool. I look forward to seeing more updates!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts

Well, as far as I'm aware, you basically wire it in on existing lines (which are not needed anymore or blank anyway) that set a one or a zero (12V or 0V) in the ECU.
Then you can use those ports and set the carberry rom to recognize them.

For example, if you get rid of the second O2 sensor, you can use that Signal and wire in a flex fuel sensor and set the carberry rom to use it as a flex fuel sensor instead of a after cat O2 sensor.

I'm no expert in that department either. Alex just told me how I should prepare it.
He did a few cars that run on the carberry rom and have features like the Anti Lag, Flat Foot Shifting and so on.
Wiring in the Flat Floor Shifting will be a bit of a pain as we have to mount a switch to the clutch pedal which tells the ECU the Clutch is pressed / not pressed.
It's easier on the JDM Models because they have switch there because you need to have the clutch pressed in order to start the car.
EUDM Cars don't have that.

We're going to do a documentation on saturday. I'll post pictures here. Maybe that'll make things clearer :)
Oh, ok that makes more sense. so you are basically programming into it the switch operation. Sounds like a lot of work... lol

USDM cars also have the clutch pedal switch. If you install an alarm with a remote start, you have to bypass it in order for the car to start.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #410

Well, the day started early and the day ends early.
After we finished up all the wiring we were going to map the Carberry Rom onto the ECU.
Plugged in the test connectors, switched the ignition on aaaand...

...no Fuel Pump and a Flashing DCCD Light.

The car cranks but gets no fuel so it's not my immobilizer. My Alarm System doesn't let you start the car if you're not disabling it so for whatever reason...there is no connection to the ECU.

We undid all the Wiring changes but still no luck. Tested the main relay on Alex' car...works as intended.

So it looks like the ECU is toast. :(

Happens to the best I guess and no one is at fault here. It's part of the process of building a fun toy that sometimes something breaks. :D

This time it's an ECU, next time it might be something more expensive maybe, who knows.
At least the car is at Fred's Place together with a Spec C Type RA, GC8 STI Track Car and some other GC8 Project shells so the Fat Cat won't feel alone :D

Now I need to source a 2005 16bit ECU...

·
Super Moderator
10,695 Posts

Upper HVAC duct just inside drivers door. Easy reach in case of incident.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #412

Upper HVAC duct just inside drivers door. Easy reach in case of incident.
Yup, that's my prefered point to put it after some thinking.
My buddy just reminded me, I need to wire in the killswitch between the Alternator and the Fusebox/Battery. Since wiring in to disconnect the ground would just disconnect the battery but not kill the ignition in an emergency.

Still puzzled about why the ECU quit Saturday.
Since the car is 1h30m away from my place I can't just go and check things.

On another note, the Hawkeye Diffusor and all the mounting hardware should arrive this week :)

·
Registered
101 Posts

I really must make a switch plate like yours, looks perfect there and I could use the controls for my fans!

Looking good!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #415

I got an ECU off ebay uk for 80€ including shipping.

I also asked a Clubmate who has a Subaru Parts Dealing buisness and they usually sell them for 230+ € here in Germany.
His offer for me is 180€.

In case the ebay uk ECU won't show up / would not work I take his offer but 180€ right now is too much for me to buy a second ECU besides the one I already ordered from ebay uk.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #417 (Edited)

That sucks man.

Will you be able to use the other ECU even though it's not paired with your immobilizer?

Not sure if this would be of any use to you or not, but here's a thread on unbricking an ECU:
How to Unbrick an ECU. Like A Boss!
The Carberry Rom will get rid of the Immobilizer so there is no Subaru Select Monitor Action required :)
If we would need a Subaru Select Monitor, there would be at least 3 People we could get one from temporary. So this is not as bad as it seems.

Plug in the ECU, hope that it works and the devil is not within the wiring, Flash Carberry Rom, be happy!

Thanks for the link though! Gotta forward it to Alex and see if it's useful for him in case someone else has a bricked ECU and wants it unbricked. :tup:

My ECU did not get bricked in the flashing process. My ECU just died for whatever reason.
Other guy from the Club who is a big Subaru Nut also said he had that happening too. Dead ECU like out of nowhere without really knowing why.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - GTAM HHR Gueststarter signed up

So the ECU did not come until last weekend so nothing happened yet.
I was trying to source another ECU and then decided to buy the one from a club mate. A bit more expensive but I can be sure it's in good working condition and also be here before next weekend.

Besides that,
the car has to run on October 7th because I signed up as a Gueststarter for the German Time Attack Masters on the Hockenheimring.
They'll do the sprint / short layout which I have never driven before,...well at least I know 3/4th of that layout well enough to be fast.

Not sure if they do the chickane at Turn 5/6, there's an option to just have one corner there which would result in requiring balls to be not scared of the wall :D

I just hope it'll be dry.
I doubt I will get the Michelin Cups to work properly but I take the whole thing as a learner on how competition feels and everything.
Don't really have the funds right now to buy another set of wheels.

401 - 420 of 838 Posts