IW STi Forum banner

361 - 380 of 839 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Dry Ice is cool! #358 & #359

Thank you, Bruce :)

Alex will ship the Switches and some goodies tomorrow.
So the switch panel will be completed soon :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Good work man, every bit helps! I'm not surprised the dry ice blasting started to strip the manifold, that paint is horrible. All the more reason to do a custom color later :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Good work man, every bit helps! I'm not surprised the dry ice blasting started to strip the manifold, that paint is horrible. All the more reason to do a custom color later :D
Agreed!

Boy, the lighting in that garage sure is nice n' bright.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #364

@Kyle
Yeah, when I have to take the Intake Manifold off one day I'm gonna have it painted/coated :)

@Gavin
No, not really. That was just the camera. The better quality ones where taken with my DSLR on the tripod. F8 / 1sec / ISO 800.

That picture where I remove the sound deadening in the driver foot area, I could barely see because of the vapor from the dry ice and the bad lighting :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #365 (Edited)
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Travel log

Laying in bed in a motel in Fort Bragg ,CA, after a long day of driving I thought I put a write up of the last couple of days together.

Wednesday we headed off to Stuttgart Airport at 0330am. My mom dropped us off at STR and we went to the check-in, through security and waited for boarding at 0535am.
Boarded the KLM Embraer 190 and push back started as scheduled on 0600am.
0605am we had to hold position on the taxiway because crossing traffic. All of a sudden the plane started to shake weirdly for a short time.
Looking out to the left side of the plane through one of the windows, I spot a A319 Airbus fairly close.
Well, to keep it short:
The guy in the pushback truck pushed the Germanwings Airbus backwards and somehow misjudged the wingspan. So the right wing got rammed into the APU Outlet between the horizontal stabilizer on the Embraer 190 damaging it quite significantly.

Well, I didn't expect to be back in Stuttgart Airport this quick :D
Besides a long waiting time on our luggage because, official word, the police held the unloading back for accident report reasons, I got an email we've been rebooked onto new flights.
All in all we just lost 3 hours and got to fly with the KLM 787 Dreamliner! A great bird I gotta say. Loved flying with it :)

After what seemed to be a neverending flight, 10.5 hours, we landed in SFO.
Everything went smooth going through immigration and customs, went to the car rental place and pick up this bad boy:
IMG_2388 by Ben M., auf Flickr

2.3L Ecoboost :lol: Doesn't pull a salami off your bread like we use to say :lol: But drives and handles surprisingly well. Did a lot of apex hitting today driving from SFO to Fort Bragg along the coast on Highway 1.

So there you go, a couple of pictures I took the last few days:
IMG_2141 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2157 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_1970 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2249 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2203 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2262 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2319 by Ben M., auf Flickr
IMG_2348 by Ben M., auf Flickr

Fort Bragg, CA by Ben M., auf Flickr

Fort Bragg, CA by Ben M., auf Flickr

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Travel log

Laying in bed in a motel in Fort Bragg ,CA, after a long day of driving I thought I put a write up of the last couple of days together.

Wednesday we headed off to Stuttgart Airport at 0330am. My mom dropped us off at STR and we went to the check-in, through security and waited for boarding at 0535am.
Boarded the KLM Embraer 190 and push back started as scheduled on 0600am.
0605am we had to hold position on the taxiway because crossing traffic. All of a sudden the plane started to shake weirdly for a short time.
Looking out to the left side of the plane through one of the windows, I spot a A319 Airbus fairly close.
Well, to keep it short:
The guy in the pushback truck pushed the Germanwings Airbus backwards and somehow misjudged the wingspan. So the right wing got rammed into the APU Outlet between the horizontal stabilizer on the Embraer 190 damaging it quite significantly.
[URL=https://abload.de/img/img_19491wjoc.jpg]Image Link
[/url]
Well, I didn't expect to be back in Stuttgart Airport this quick :D
Besides a long waiting time on our luggage because, official word, the police held the unloading back for accident report reasons, I got an email we've been rebooked onto new flights.
All in all we just lost 3 hours and got to fly with the KLM 787 Dreamliner! A great bird I gotta say. Loved flying with it :)

After what seemed to be a neverending flight, 10.5 hours, we landed in SFO.
Everything went smooth going through immigration and customs, went to the car rental place and pick up this bad boy:
[URL=https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7254/27666635411_542aa50341_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2388 by Ben M., auf Flickr

2.3L Ecoboost :lol: Doesn't pull a salami off your bread like we use to say :lol: But drives and handles surprisingly well. Did a lot of apex hitting today driving from SFO to Fort Bragg along the coast on Highway 1.

So there you go, a couple of pictures I took the last few days:
[URL=https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7184/27720161695_62bc2ebff3_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2141 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7582/27109741023_21a8e7255f_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2157 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7711/27720129285_f87b544a74_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_1970 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7357/27110264784_cd2104957a_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2249 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7476/27648406571_5ab3b576fd_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2203 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7305/27112325813_bf81d3d218_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2262 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7293/27707355616_d01ed832f1_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2319 by Ben M., auf Flickr
[URL=https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7514/27666638341_c7c90e35f0_h.jpg]Image Link
[/url]IMG_2348 by Ben M., auf Flickr

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Travel log #365

^ what he said!

Welcome to the states, I hope they treat you well! How long are you here for, and do you have the Rustang the whole time?

I took a flight last year in an Embraer RJ145 and it was sketchy to say the least, Fortunately the flight time was just over an hour.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Travel log #365

Thanks Kyle, yeah it's been awesome so far!
Our trip north was decent! After Fort Bragg we stayed in Gold Beach and Florence over night.
Weather was allright and all the people we've met on the trip were nice. Had some good chats with strangers about us, the trip, the beautiful sights and all. :)

Yesterday we finished the tour of Oregon Highway 101. we can officially say we made it all the way from the California / Oregon border to the Oregon / Washington border.
No regrets :)

We're now at my friends in Portland with his family until the 6th of July. Just loving it here. Subaru Country is awesome. Missing my STI though! Didn't expect to see so many 2015/2016 WRX / STIs!

Tomorrow we head south to crater lake and come back to Portland on Thursday.
I'll post some more pictures once I get back on my laptop. Right now I'm just enjoying some Dr Pepper in the Sun :cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Travel log #371

Otherworldly is indeed the right word for Crater Lake, Goose!
It was mindblowing.
The part I liked the most was after we arrived at the Rim drive, we immediatly parked the car and walked towards the crest. Coming over the crest, starting to see the whole of Crater Lake, I just stood there in awe.
You have to see and feel it for yourself. There aren't words to describe how awesome it is!

Crater Lake, Oregon by Ben M., auf Flickr

Sorry I didn't really respond early.
The time flew by faster than I wanted and coming home, second day in the office we get the big news that our department was sold and we'll be moving workplaces half a mile down the street into a new building. But it's actually good news all in all and I'm looking forward to the new opportunities that will pop up there. Everyone will keep their jobs so that's a good thing :)

What else can I say?

From Fort Bragg on northbound, we followed CA Highway 1 until it met Highway 101 at Leggett. The last few miles of Highway 1 are epic driving roads through the woods.
The Avenue of the Gigants, which is a Scenic Byway of Highway 101 is pretty cool too. The Redwoods are so gigantic, I doubt we have anything near as tall as those trees in NorCal.
The only thing I disliked:
Every time the Mustang needed Gas I had to go inside the Gas Station to see the Cashier because my Credit Card didn't work at the Pump.
That's one thing where Oregon wins with their Service People at the Gas Stations. So much more convenient :D

After the Redwoods we arrived in Eureka. But since Steffie didn't scout out any places to visit there, we just drove through it heading for Gold Beach, OR.
At the State Boarder there was a checkpoint where they checked cars coming into CA which was kinda surprising for me.
Anyway, Gold Beach is a lovely little city on the Oregon Coast. The Motel there was just as the one before in Fort Bragg. Nice cozy room with a Bed and a TV.
The cool thing though, they have a huge outdoor projection wall where they show their own movie about the Oregon Coast. The movie itself is outstanding! Gave us goosebumps :)
Ended that day enjoying the sunset on the beach...
Gold Beach, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

The next day we headed further north with our first stop at Otter Point State Park.
Otter Point, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Otter Point, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

Didn't see any otters but the park itself was pretty cool. There was no one there and you could hike around the coastline up and down. Wish we would have had more time to explore.

Next up was Face Rock.
It took me a while to see the face but Steffie pointed it out to me and some time then it clicked in my head.
Face Rock, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

Our destination and final stop on the coast was Florence.
A neat little city with one of my favourite sea food restaurants: Mo's
Dang I just love the Fish & Chips with their fresh fish.
I would eat more fish over here but it's just not as good as it is knowing you just have 5 minutes to be at the sea.

Florence, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Florence, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
South Jetty, Florence, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
South Jetty, Florence, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

The next they we on our way north the first stop was at the Sea Lions Caves.
We paid 14$ each to be able to head down to the cave via an elevator. I hate elevators but down there it was pretty cool to see the sea lions up close. It just was too dark to take proper pictures. I had no time to do a 400 second exposure :lol:

Sea Lion Caves, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Sea Lion Caves, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Sea Lion Caves, Heceta Lighthouse, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

Along Highway 101 we stopped at Thor's Well. We missed it the first time because there were no signs but thanks to google offline maps we got there with just a 5 minute detour :D
Thor's Well, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Thor's Well, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

Onwards we went northbound. Next stop was in Tillamook where we visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They also have my favourite icecream so we went to get some. Not being aware of what I got myself into I ordered a waffle cone with two scoops of Choclate Chip Mint and Huckleberry.
Well...not sure if the guy making my waffle cone liked me or that's was a usual thing but the scoops of iceream on my cone where HUGE.
So tasty though...
After an ice cream food coma we rode the stallion onwards and upwards...until we hit Astoria which is Oregon's northern most point along Highway 101. It is also where the Columbia River starts to seperate Washington State and Oregon.
I didn't take any pictures because we still had another two hours of driving back to Portland ahead of us. But here just have these two from two years ago:
Astoria Bridge Panorama by Ben M., auf Flickr
Youngs River, Astoria, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

We spent one day in Portland at my friends house just doing nothing because the next day we would head out to Bend and Crater Lake.
Decided we first stop in Bend to Check in at the Motel and then cruise further south to Crater Lake was the plan which executed without any hickups.
Crater Lake, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Crater Lake Lodge, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

We went back to Bend after a few hours of gasping and went to bed.
After a restful night we decided to go to the Dechutes Brewery for Breakfast. And what a breakfast it was! Great beer, great food, a wonderful thing to start the day!
Hung out a little at Drake Park and than drove back to Portland in the afternoon.
Drake Park, Bend, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Drake Park, Bend, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Three Sisters, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

We just loved it.
The whole trip from SF to Crater Lake...it was just SO worth it! I wish more people could just do trips like that and enjoy the beauty of the country. Although I never really had much time at one place I made sure to soak it all in while my camera was capturing light.

I could go on and on on how much I love the places we've been to, the people we met(again), the laughs we had and the stuff we did together.

I'll end this post with some pictures of and around Portland:
Mount St Helens and PDX by Ben M., auf Flickr
Portland, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Portland, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr
Mt Hood, OR by Ben M., auf Flickr

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Good safe trip.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Incredible shots, Ben. Glad you enjoyed it over here and congrats on the new opportunities at work. I forsee more racecar parts in your future :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #377 (Edited)

Gigs,
to be perfectly honest, In N Out doesn't live up to it's internet hype!
For a fast food restaurant the burgers are ok/good, but they're not as good as the internet makes you want to believe :lol:
We stopped by an In N Out north of SF before we made the left turn towards the coast.

Goose,
Fish & Chips at Mo's...ugh I'm so bummed I can't get those here :lol:
That was basically my Number One food source once we got in range of Mo's on the Oregon Coast :D

Kyle,
I hope you're right :D We keep our current contracts but I think they'll be re-neogotiated by the end of this year.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI

Quite some time with no updates.

Been busy with the company move and I'm waiting on parts to put on the car.
Actually the only thing missing are the brake pads but those are ordered.
Will get Carbon Lorraine RC8s front and rear to go on the Godspeed Rotors I got from the UK.

I got this Steering Wheel from my Buddy in Switzerland to test fit on my car.
If that helps and I can find a Tüv Engineer that would accept 4 Point Harness + Bucket Seat + Steering Wheel I would go with the fixed 4 Point Harness and throw out the OEM Harness.

And just the other weekend, we heard a cat meowing in our garden in the morning but couldn't find it at first. Then I saw it peeking out of the bushes but we left it.
When we got back home in the afternoon, the little one was still screaming outside.
After an 2 hour rescue attempt we finally caught the kitty and took care of her.
At the point she was around 6 - 7 weeks old, looked healthy but no mother was in sight and also none of the neighbours was missing the meowster.
We already have two cats and decided we can't have her. Especially since we're looking for a bigger place to live and it's always tough to find a landlord that accepts cats...

So we said we'll give her to the animal shelter since that's the most logical thing someone missing a kitty would go first.
This was one of the most emotional and tear filled decisions we had to do in recent times. :(

In the end it turns out no one was looking for her and my GF actually called the animal shelter to ask if we can have her back and take care of her. The animal shelter said yes to my GF and we were super excited...
2 hours later they called and said they made it mistake, the little one already found a new home by someone else who stopped by the shelter to get a new kitty...

I mean, just look at her. I dunno how we could even think of giving her away. We would if there was someone missing her but since there was no one we just should have kept her :(

Here's a picture of the car sitting in the new company garage :)

And this is just a random flightdeck picture I snapped with my new mobile phone.

·
Super Moderator
10,699 Posts

Nice all of it. Cute kitty, glad you got it back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #380

That's what I was trying to say. We didn't get the kitty back in the end :(

361 - 380 of 839 Posts