IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 839 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - 1997 Colin McRae WRC Car for sale! #295

Thanks!

The Aeroflowdynamics ones look crazy! I was just sitting in the car and getting out of the bucket seat, I figured I don't want any that would stick out more. I'd step on them by accident and break them off the car haha.

Never seen them on a car. That picture on their page is the first I ever saw with those.
Yeah thats what i was afraid of... #becauseracecar is awesome until you break it because you stood on it...

I see you're meme game is strong today :D:tup:
Haha, thanks!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #302 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Progress! #302

Used this cold and windy Saturday to do some wrenching on the STI.

First off, I started by removing the AC Lines in the Engine bay followed by removing the AC condensator.

Stuff weights around 10.5kg!

My Engine Bay is still a little bit messy from the coolant spill that happened that one time at the Hockenheimring, so I gave the Airbox, Intake, Water Spray Tank and Battery undertray to Steffie for some cleaning. (I forgot to take pictures) :rolleyes:
Still, the engine bay needs a proper cleaning. I kinda want to find someone who does dry ice cleaning.

Mishimoto Radiator visible through the grill, me likes:

I continued to remove the necessary parts to be able to remove the carpet.
Glovebox, the Cover under the Steering Wheel, Center Console around the Handbrake and shifter and the Trim on the B Pilars.
Pretty standard stuff, I didn't break anything so we're good :lol:

Removed the Blue Carpet and did some cleaning with the vacuum cleaner.
I was about to vacuum what I thought were the remainings of a leaf but decided it needs further inspection.

Saved this guy from ... well, not death but..whatever:

We decided, since he's been riding shotgun in the STI for such a long time, there's only on place we can put him:

Interiour without the carpet:

Removed the sound deadening around the shifter area.

And with the Black Carpet in:

Now I just need to pickup the black doorboards from my buddy and all interiour blue is gone! :D

I took some shots with the DSLR, I just need to fix my PC and install all the Photo-editing software again until I be able to post them.

Decided it was too much of a hastle to remove the Dashboard in order to get to the AC Evaporator. That's a task for another time :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - AC removal & Black Carpet #302

Looking good Ben! the black carpet looks fantastic. Are you planning to put anything behind the front grille to protect the radiator now that the condenser is removed?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)

Looking good Ben! the black carpet looks fantastic. Are you planning to put anything behind the front grille to protect the radiator now that the condenser is removed?
Hey Kyle,
Nothing. Never had a shot condenser on any of my cars before. My first car did have a AC at all and that radiator was some 15 years old and still in good shape.

LOL Idin, I can check of the haircut point you mentioned :lol:
No bald cut though haha

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

That all black interior always looks classy, very nice! But I can't bring myself to get rid of the blue. Call me a bit boy-racer. :)

Lizards - they get into the tiniest areas.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

That all black interior always looks classy, very nice! But I can't bring myself to get rid of the blue. Call me a bit boy-racer. :)

Lizards - they get into the tiniest areas.
I know, I really like the black too! but I cant bring myself to do it... haha

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #309

So, bad news. Not Subie related but AMG related.
The journey on the HHR was cut short when the AMG started smoking on the Parabolika.

It's either engine, gearbox or power steering oil that went onto the exhaust turning it into a decent smoke generator.

I'm a bit sad for dad because it was in the first 20 minutes of the first stint.

On the other hand, there's a lot of things dad can learn in terms of driving style, braking, turn in and so on. We brought the car to a Mercedes Dealership here in Hockenheim and I will taxi dad back home.

In other news, my goddamn phone somehow can't handle Harrys Laptimer. There are always stutters when I run it with the external GPS & and Remote controlled Gopro. Need a new phone lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI

No idea for how much that thing will sell.

Anyway,
I received the HT Auto Sideskirt Extensions yesterday and mounted them after I got home.
Some Dremel action was required to make the clips fit properly but it was just a minor operation so no big deal.
Those skirts indeed look great! Makes me want to buy a set :D

Didn't get the rear bumper "skirt" extensions too? I probably wouldn't either ... looks great from the side combined with the front lip and side skirts but awkward when your looking at the rear of the car.

Those look great! I've been wanting those as well! Although I found out that Aeroflowdynamics has a set of those that stick out further which probably benefit the car aero more than the HT Auto ones HERE. Similar pricing, and they seem to stick out all the way to the face of the wheels. I don't think I'd want them to stick out further than the wheels though.... that'd look crazy. haha I'm not sure if anyone has them on here to see how they look though :(
Those seem fragile ... and a bit too thin and wide for my liking. I believe the HT auto's are a much better match with the rest of the car (though probably all show and serve no real purpose)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI

Those skirts indeed look great! Makes me want to buy a set :D

Didn't get the rear bumper "skirt" extensions too? I probably wouldn't either ... looks great from the side combined with the front lip and side skirts but awkward when your looking at the rear of the car.
Thanks, yeah I really love them! Haven't thought they'd turn out this good! Good investment, go get some! :)

No I didn't buy the pieces for the rear bumper. I plan on adding a diffuser that runs over the whole rear bumper, similar to BlueScooby's one :) Those skirts wouldn'T really fit on the bumper then.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #312

Here's a proper shot of the black carpet.

And here's my dad and me trashing the AMG. One of the 4 Laps :lol:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

You already had the interior apart, get that fuel pump in there!

Sad about the AMG...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #314

The walbro that is in there is fine. I just don't know how old it is.

The AMG is fixed, 390€ including labor.
Next tryout at the Hockenheimring with Dad will be mid May :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #316

Gearbox Oilpan Seal failed and oil was pushed directly on the hot exhaust.
Merc Tech said it's a common weakness on the R171 SLK 55 AMGs.

Good thing it was only that.
The 7G Tronic is just weird. I feel like we should use the C Mode next time and not the S Mode.
In S Mode it wants to give you more revs but when you hit the limiter it takes too long to switch to the next gear. It's just weird.
Like it doesn't know it's bolted onto a torquy V8.

The engine sounds so good though :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #318 (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - TPMS fitted & Michelin Cups 1 mounted

Last saturday I brought the car to a tireshop to have the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 1 mounted onto the OZ Wheels. In the same process we mounted the Metal Valves with the sensor for the TPMS.
You can put the display on rotate so it switches through the available sensors every two seconds. We'll see how happy I'll be with that.
I have a feeling I want a displaying unit that shows pressures and temps on all four corners at the same time :D

First impressions on the cold & wet streets:
Compared to the AD08R, the PS Cup 1 gives more response due to the stiffer sidewalls. Feels nice although if I had adjustable coilovers, I'd soften them by 2 clicks...

In terms of grip:
T intersection onto a country road. I'm at the stop sign to turn left onto the country road.
Well.
Getting sideways is easy...:lol:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - TPMS fitted & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 1 mounted #318

You ran AD08R's previously?

How long did they last for you? I just picked up a set with my new wheels.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - TPMS fitted & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 1 mounted #318

You ran AD08R's previously?

How long did they last for you? I just picked up a set with my new wheels.
Yeah I did!
They are still lasting, just taking a break now :)
Bought them in April last year, did 5-6 trackdays + ~7000km on the Road. They still have plenty of rubber left!
I'd say they're the best all around tire you can get. Plenty of Grip on Track, forgiving in the Wet and not too stiff to make the ride to and back from the track a pain.

I just wanted to test the Michelin Cups because I got them cheap and a few people told me to run them because they are the best tires out there for Trackdayheroes like us.
Will see if that statement stands or falls in the second half of 2016 :)

301 - 320 of 839 Posts