Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Hockenheimring Recap 2019 #838

182K views 838 replies 33 participants last post by  ScoobyGT 
#1 · (Edited)
Index:

--------------2015--------------
#3 3" Downpipe dent to clear steering linkage in tight lefthanders
#7 Studio Pictures
#11 2 Laps Video at the Hockenheimring
#13 Turn 2 and 3 at the Hockenheimring (Full Videos!)
#15 NUERBURGRING Pictures
#24 Hockenheimring Pictures
#28 Oil Cooler mounted
#31 Home made Shiftknob & Shiftknob Extension
#32 Blown Radiator
#40 Mishimoto Radiator installed
#47 Header progress
#55 UEL Header build - ready for welding!
#63 Rolling Shots!
#66 The UEL Header is ready!
#70 Drift Training footage & Car dropped off
#94 Golden TMIC & Oilcooler in
#99 Alignment done
#102 DSLR Pictures Crashbeam & Oilcooler
#150 Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - GT86 Hotlap
#152 Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - more videos & pics
#163 ADR 2 Multi GoPro Videos
#185 Brake Cooling
#195 Last Trackday for 2015 is in the books! - Video
--------------2016--------------
#229 2016 News
#239 New Seats in
#245 Lightweight LI-ION Battery & TPMS incoming
#255 New Resonator & polished Muffler
#264 Race Navigator & Video on a wet HHR
#302 AC Removal & Black Carpet
#318 TPMS fitted & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup mounted
#344 GT3 Video
#350 Switch Panel WIP
#358 Dry Ice Cleaning result
#359 Sound deadening removed
#365 Travel Log
#371 Travel Log
#384 My Buddies Hatchback WRX - Rolling Shots
#438 Corvette Z06 Brake Ducting
#441 Fire Extinguisher & Battery Holder
#451 German Time Attack Masters - Video inside!
#455 GTAM - Race Day Report Inside!
#529 Last 2016 HHR Event is in the books - Videos!
#547 Last 2016 HHR Event is in the books - Pictures!
--------------2017--------------
#558 Battery/Ignition cut off switch
#570 Sweden Video inside!
#577 Sweden Pictures inside!
#580 New Shoes
#588 Rear fenders modified
#593 new Alignment done
#595 Main Brake Ducting
#595 New HHR personal lap record!
#600 HHR Videos
#616 HHR Pictures
#617 The Racecar Steering Wheel Job
#618 ETS TMIC
#629 News & Vacation Pics
#636 AP Racing BBK
#642 Header Heat Shield armored
#647 Harness Bar wip
#651 Harness Bar wip -
progress

#672 AIM MXL in | DEFI GENOME STI out!
#674 Trackday Prep
#681 Trackday Report
--------------2018--------------
#704 CAD Drawings
#713 Friends on Track
#751 Bosch Hockenheim Historic Event Pictures
#758 Autosportlabs Podium Connect & Radium Dual Catch Cans
#771 Simracing fun!
#787 Rallye Fun Day Video w/ Overlay
--------------2019--------------
#802 AIM MXP Strada
#808 Singulär Hood Vents isntalled!
#818 Roof Vent, Quick Latch and Exhaust
#826 an offer I couldn't refuse
#838 Hockenheimring Recap 2019
----------------------------
Since I love following journals on here, especially the ones from Bruce, Idin and David, it's time to make my own not so build-crazy STI journal :cool:

My name is Ben, currently 26 and I'm doing IT Stuff for a small Agency some miles south of Stuttgart, Germany.
My affection with motorsports started most likely after I was born. My dad always watched the Formula One races. In the early nineties his Brother joined BMW Motorsport in the Super Touring Car Championship for some Team Management. Aparently I wasn't really old enough to remember the times we went to the Racetrack back then and cheer for BMW. The only thing I can remember that we went to an STW Race in August 1995 at the N�rburgring.
When the BMWs plans for the Formula One got more precise, they ask my uncle if he wants to join the Formula One Circus for BMW.
Aparently his wife and himself prefered not to travel around the world so he quit his Job at BMW to make a living in France and Italy with speculating on the Stock Exchange Market.
After watching the Documentary ADRENALIN on Blu Ray yesterday it made me quite thoughtful of what might have been if...:rolleyes:

Anyway, my Dad and his Brother were probably the two people affecting me with Motorsports. Before I had my driving license I always used to play the Simulations on PC like rFactor, GTR, Nascar Racing, CART, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix and what else I got in my hands. I always raced agains my dads times and was usually faster than him. I remember him breaking the steering wheel one time because he just couldn't get close to my lap time on the Hockenheimring in Grand Prix 2 :lol: Good times!

So when I turned 18 I made my driving license and bought a cheap as Seat Ibizia 1.6 from 1996 to get some experience and from A to B. Two years later the German Government came up with that great idea that they give you 2500� cash if you get rid of your old car (scrapyard) if you buy a brand new car. So in the end I chose the 2009 Fiat Grande Punto T-Jet 1.4L which is quite a fun hot hatch. 1.4 Liter Turbo with quite some torque to have a lot of fun with torque steer. I can't remember how, but one day I found myself on an Airport Trackday slaying tires, killing brakepads and trying to get faster which was quite the fun in a crappy fiat :D

I was on one of the Trackdays where I made myself friends with a Subaru Crazy Couple from Switzerland. I don't know if Carlo ever owned something different than a Subaru, I think if you would ask him he would deny it badly :D
So after more Trackdays also on the Hockenheim, money spend on the car to make it faster and myself improving in driving I came to the point where the "Pizzabox" (that's what Carlo's wife always called it) wasn't pleasing me anymore.
That was 2013.
In 2012 I met my "brother" through my flatmate. My "brother" is from Portland, Oregon, a crazy BMW car nut and from the first day we met, we were like, well, brothers. :)
Same year I went to the US of A the first time in my life. A dream come true! I don't have to tell you guys how beautiful the PNW is.
One thing I kind of didn't expect was: It's Subaru Country!
So go figure where, in my small brain, the idea of owning a STI got incepted. :D
I got to drive Carlo's crazy GC8 STI swap one day. Instantly and 100% sold that my next car will be a Subaru STI.
So skip forward to October 2013 and I sold my Fiat. After reading a lot in the Forums to get familiar with "things & stuff", I found a good option.

2005 WRX STI Type UK imported by the owner, Alex, himself in 2011. NO RUST.
No I'm not lying. It's from the UK and THERE IS NO RUST! Yes, I couldn't believe it either. The only rusty thing is my brothers E30 the STI sometimes parks next to :lol:
Alex spent the Car KW V1 coilovers, OZ Superturismo Wheels, a HKS Super Hi Power TI limited exhaust, Alcantara wrapped Steering Wheel and some DEFI Genome STI Gauges.

This is how she looked after I picked her up:

Subaru Impreza WRX STI

The License Plate was a gift from my buddy from OR. It's pretty cool to have for shooting pictures :cool:

Now, have some more pictures you may have seen around here already:

And the most recent:

MY05 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

What I did to the car:
-Retrofitlab Retrofit Kit H4 with 4300k Xenon Bulbs
-JDM Titanium Strutbrace
-Sparco Pro 2000 Seats on Buddy Club Super Low Down bases
-Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever
-Perrin Wing Stiffies
-Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
-AD08R in 225/40/18
-Tarox F2000 Rotors front, Tarox Zero Rotors rear
-Pagid RS14 Pads all around
-Custom Brake cooling ducts/plates
-Fischer Steel Brake Lines all around

Fluids:
-Motul Power 300v
-Motul RBF 600
-Motul Gear 300 for the Gearbox
-Motul Gear 300 LS for the Rear Diff
-Motul Multi ATF for the Steering once the new Rack is in

Good thing my buddy I met through the Subaru Impreza GT Club knows how to map the Subarus safely. He helps me with tuning the car.
As I don't aim for big horsepower numbers I at least have someone who can adjust the cars mapping if something pops ups.

I have a Spec C Steering Rack at home I wanted to have in for Friday. But aparently the guy who told me he will help me putting it in on his lift told me the day before my appointment, that he has to cancel it. So no Quick Steering Rack installation yet.
Which is a shame as I have my first Trackday with the car on this Friday at the Hockenheimring.
Still excited though!

On Saturday we went to a good friend who is a total Subaru Car nut. We went there for some corner balancing.
Put the car on the scales and this is what the computer showed to us:

Turns out I did a pretty good job setting the suspension with the measuring tape :lol:
She still is a FAT B!TCH with 1450kg. 3/4 filled fuel tank.
I hope we can drop around 100kg through removing unnessecary weight like sound deadening, replace the battery for a lightweight one, Carbon Fiber drive shaft, myself getting rid of 10kg of body fat ?, Spec C Windows, replacing the front and rear crash guards with lighter ones, removing the U-Subframe, AC, and whatever we can find...
But without getting rid of the rear seats and carpet.
I mean, you gotta have reasons to spend money on the car, right? Right? :lol:

Good thing my Girlfriend supports me. I'm not sure which one of us is more excited for friday. :cool::tup:

Turns out this is the only interiour shot as of right now:

My buddy from Oregon is visiting, he'll get to drive the STI on Friday at the Track too :cool:

So, that's it so far from myself.
I hope you enjoyed reading my little story and I hope I can keep you guys satisfied with future updates.
Feel free to ask me any questions!

Cheers from Germany,
Ben :)

Attachments

See less See more
#148 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015

Got enough GoPros:

:D

Never been there so it's a new Track for me. Really excited!
Won't be as hard on the Brakes as the Hockenheimring GP Course.

Yeah Bruce, really hope you'll be back in the racecar soon. Same for Idin :)
Can't wait to have shitloads of fun, there is nothing better than trashing your racecar around the track, every cent is worth it. No ragrets :D:cool::tup:

#149 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015

Got enough GoPros:

[URL=http://abload.de/img/imag151017lh7.jpg]Image Link
[/url]

:D

Never been there so it's a new Track for me. Really excited!

Won't be as hard on the Brakes as the Hockenheimring GP Course.

Yeah Bruce, really hope you'll be back in the racecar soon. Same for Idin :)

Can't wait to have shitloads of fun, there is nothing better than trashing your racecar around the track, every cent is worth it. No ragrets :D:cool::tup:

Have fun and drive safe.

Looks like we will get enough footage with five go pros. Haha

Thanks, it will take a while in my case...

#150 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - GT86 Hotlap

So the Trackday yesterday was 100% success!
Nothing failed and we had tons of fun :)

I drove Alex's JDM STI and Hanns' GT86. Really interesting to get a comparison.
The twinscroll on Alex's STI makes it different to accelerate out of corners. So to say: His drives more like a Turbo car as mine handles more like an NA.
In the end we're equivalent fast. Until he put on the Michelin Cups and went all crazy. He then took 2 Seconds off my time :D
But his driving style is so different to mine.

The GT86 really surprised me on Track! I just had three laps with it but the feedback you get from the car instantly reminded me of the 991 GT3. He has AD08Rs on the 86 and those go so well with the car. Here's the Video:

Alex tuned out some knock I had and after all the driving the learning table shows zero knock :)
Now we just have to figure out a date to tune my car for the carberry rom and make some power :D

There'll be more videos coming. It takes some time to put it all together :)

#152 ·
Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - more videos & pics #152

We had tons of fun! It was over way too fast.
I just LOVE "wasting" my money on this, such a reward trashing the car across racetracks :D

A couple videos:

Teaching my SO how to drive the car during the Ladies Turn:

Myself driving Alex's MY03 JDM STI:

Alex driving my car:

I also snapped a couple of pictures. Follow this link to the Flickr Album: click me

It'll take some days to get the multi GoPro Videos together.

#154 · (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - More videos & pics #152

:D :lol:
If I'd know how to add subtitles easily I would have added them. Real pain to do in the GoPro Studio :lol:

But glad you like 'em!
Like I said, will take some time to put the multi gopro videos together.
And the bad news I got from Sebastian is that the Driftbox didn't record any data. So aparently no speedometer within the videos :(

#158 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - More videos & pics #152

I only let those drive I know they have track time. So Alex was the first to drive it on track. He really enjoyed it :)

Anyway, I just figured that the car is sitting in the garage still packed up from when I came back from Anneau du Rhin. Where's my mech crew to take care of it? :lol:

Still waiting on the videos from Sebastian. He's pretty busy these days so it might take another couple of days. If he gives the video material to me I can try it my self to put it all together since I have Adobe Premiere which should be capable of doing multi-view gopro action stuff :D

If the School of Racing is offering the X-Mas Trackday this year again that'll be the last Trackday for the year in December. Haven't heard from Paul though if they offer it this year.

Other than that, I really consider throwing out unneccesarry stuff like rear seats, sound deadening, carpet, and so on. Because less weight equals faster laptimes :D:tup:
Plan for next year is to run Michelin Pilot Sport Cups :)

#159 ·

Man if we all just had a racing crew.....a man can dream, eh?

As far as weight-shaving, I think there's a guy here in the GD section who got his STi all the way down to just over 2800lbs. Crazy. I'll find the link to his journal if you want.

#161 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Last Trackday for 2015: HHR 12/05/15

Today I booked the last Trackday for 2015.
This is a special one in terms where the money goes.
It's a charity event by the School of Racing for their customers!

The money earned with the Trackday will go to Kinderkrebsstiftung: Home
It's a place for children to fight cancer and was opened by the German Childhood Cancer Foundation.

I'm happy to get the oportunity again to support Kids with what I love the most: Trashing my car around racetracks.

I hope to get some non-racer-friends and my Mom & Dad there too offer some ride alongs :)

I still don't have the videofootage from ADR.
Hope to pick it up on sunday and then process it. Sebastian is a busy busy man these days :D

Have a great weekend guys!

#163 · (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - ADR 2 Multi GoPro Videos #163

I got the raw footage from Sebastian and here is the first video from ADR:

The GoPros in general seem to have some issues with longer videos. They usually cut long videos after 17 Minutes and should then seamlessly record to a new file but somehow 2 of the 5 GoPros didn't in this Video.
So sorry if it feels cut short...it actually is :(

Enjoy watching though :)

edit:
Second video added:

#165 · (Edited)

I guess those GoPros will be on the car again on the 5th December at the Hockenheimring :)
Secretly I hope for a wet track for some more dynamic action :D

Btw, what do you mean with audible stability control warning at 3:45 in the first video? I don't hear a thing at that time mark :confused:

edit:
Forgot to mention:
The Driftbox somehow didn't save on the memory card, otherwise I'd added a speedometer.

#172 ·

Prefer the Schroth.
The Adjustability of the Shoulder Straps works better. There is also a foam insert at the end of the adjustment straps preventing the straps to slip through the metal piece.
The Buckle is round. On the Sabelts there is a notch standing out which is Kinda weird.

So would go with the Schroths any day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.