IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 836 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - DSLR Pictures!

No phone pictures incoming!

_MG_8595 by Ben M., auf Flickr

_MG_8596 by Ben M., auf Flickr

_MG_8599 by Ben M., auf Flickr
_MG_8600 by Ben M., auf Flickr

_MG_8604 by Ben M., auf Flickr

Last Thrusday was probably one of the best days ever.
On Monday my Photography Buddy gave me a call and asked if I'd be available on Thursday. Assist him with Photo and Videoshoot for the Driving Facility on the Hockenheimring.
Well I had time and it turned out assisting him was basically driving cars all day long.
What cars you might ask.
Well...
:D
Porsches.
The Driving Facility has a new Product called Porsche Fun & Action Training.
So I drove an 991 GT3 all morning long and in the afternoon Boxter & Cayman.
:cool:
Will post some pictures once I get some from him. Also I hope I get the video when I threw the GT3 around the Driving Facility :D

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - DSLR Pictures Crashbeam & Oilcooler #102

Amazing experience Ben!

Can not wait to see pics...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Aaaaannnnd now I hate you.....er, I mean jealous.:lol:

Sweet pics though. The bumper and oil cooler look great!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Looking good Ben! How has the oil cooler affected your temps while tracking the car? or have you not had it out since adding it?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

Looking good Ben! How has the oil cooler affected your temps while tracking the car? or have you not had it out since adding it?
Haven't tracked the car since. I'll be at the Hockenheimring Friday next week. I can tell you more then.
But driving it to my parents and back, the Temps in the City don't go above 90°C, outside City driving they are at around 85.
Even speeding things up on the Autobahn Temps did not go over 93°C.
There's a 90°C Thermostat in the Sandwichplate.

So I'd say it's pretty efficent but I can't wait to see temps at the Track either :)
My guess is I'll never see Temps higher than 120°C again.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Gotcha. I see about 210-220F (~100-105C) just under normal driving, and have seen up to 240F (~115C) on hot days, so I imagine track duty would be even worse. I've been thinking about getting a thermostatic plate and running lines for a cooler up to where the top mount used to be. We'll see.

You setup is looking good, I'm loving the custom fabbed parts.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Yup 100-105°C were a regular on hot days.
I saw all the oil cooler setups where guys put most of the oilcooler behind the crash beam blocking airflow and making the system inefficent.

I guess the Oilcooler at the TMIC Position would work well too. Maybe a little less efficent at higher speeds (above 130mph). But then again how often do you drive above 130mph? :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

My FMIC core takes up all of the lower bumper opening, I guess I could put it behind the grille but I'd have to find a new spot for the hella horns then. I don't think i'll be hitting 130 very often, if at all!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #110

I'd say you can't go wrong with an oilcooler. Especially you guys with built engines and everything keeping them cool is what you want.

My Friend Carlo from Switzerland is selling his 05 STI and has some leftover parts which he offered me for a price I couldn't say no.

The white pieces are custum fabbed for Blobeye Fronts. Go to the backside of the cutouts below the Fog Lights.

:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

oooh neat! Are you going to run ducting from those to the back side of the brakes?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

oooh neat! Are you going to run ducting from those to the back side of the brakes?
Not sure yet.
I need to make some test fits direct on the car and see what seems the best solution for me.
I want maximum air at the brakes.
I still have the big foglight housings I want to use to route 100mm Piping from to blow air onto the hub/brakes somehow.

I'll post some pics once I tackle this and have some practial solutions. :)

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts

Not sure yet.
I need to make some test fits direct on the car and see what seems the best solution for me.
I want maximum air at the brakes.
I still have the big foglight housings I want to use to route 100mm Piping from to blow air onto the hub/brakes somehow.

I'll post some pics once I tackle this and have some practial solutions. :)
Whats your plan for ducting from the bumper to wheel hub? Just running hose, or getting a transition duct? I bought the RooDucts myself, and they are amazing! FWIW, you will need a 3" (76mm) hose to fit them though... You could go with a 4" (102mm) and taper down to the 3" to connect with the RooDuct, but unless it is a long smooth transition the airflow disruption will probably ruin any advantage of the slightly larger hose.

Even though I have not tracked my car with the brake ducts installed I can tell by the change in the brake dust distribution that they are definitely moving some air through the wheels!

Also, either remove the dust sheilds or cut extra holes in them so the rotor has access to more free airflow.

I"m really diggin the progress you have made so far; I want to do all the things!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)

Sorry for the delayed reply:
I have been thinking about having Lars build something like the Rooducts.
Routing Air from the Fog Lights through the Rooducts and having them blow onto the wheel hub/brake rotors in general.

Removing the dust covers behind the rotors/have something fabricated to mount air hose from the white ducts that go on the bumper onto.

+ mounting the Prova Style Brake Ducts.

Hope you get the idea.
That would be maximum cooling effort. But I guess it would be worth it.

So I'm kinda nervous.
Tomorrow I'll be at the Hockenheimring again and will track the car for 1 or 2 20 minute turns.
Wanna use it as a shakedown before the Subaru Club Trackday on the 26th.
Nervous because I never really found out why the car was leaking coolant (seems gone now, don't have any drips on the floor at the garage, maybe I've overfilled it when replacing the radiator, not sure).

More nervous because the header at the V-Band isn't 100% sealed. We wanted to find two compensators to weld in. One in the uppipe, the other one in the downpipe (downpipe piece not having anything to do with the uppipe V-Band being not sealing 100%).
Finding a reliable parts source was harder than we though. Lars will visit me on Sunday and we weld em in.

I wanted a compensator (not sure how you guys call em) like the left one for the uppipe. They are more rigid and not as loose as a regular flex piece. It seems though nobody is really using these things in germany.
Lars did his best to source parts but all we got was that flex piece for the uppipe. The flex piece on the right is Made in Germany and from what Lars said seems to be of a better quality than the pieces they use at his workplace.

So we'll see on sunday if we fix the uppipe with or without the flex piece.
We fear the temps in the uppipe might damage the Flex Piece and it'll kill the Turbo/leak in no time.

The 3" compensator piece is for the downpipe.
When I was working on the car, I figured there is some noise coming from the downpipe when you slam on the exhaust. Sounded like a rattle from the Muffler but together with my brother we narrowed it down to be the downpipe. So I hope that solves that.

Also my middle resonator is done. Because low race car setup. Too much scraping on that damn thing when going into a parking garage for example.
The thing is: It's certified by the Tüv and in my papers(lengh, diameter, manufacturer) so I should have it on when getting stopped by the police and need the exact thing to have it replaced with. Good thing Simons still makes them and they only cost around 100€.
Maybe I'll mount the "doom pipe" Lars made for me and just see if I'm too loud or not. If too loud I'll just screw in the silencer. Not attacking any time tomorrow.
It's basically a cat & middle resonator delete pipe :D

There is no pre-trackday noise test. They have the measuring equipment hard mounted on some spots at the track. One point is like 17 meters off the ideal racing line.
There never really was somebody blackflagged because the car was too loud. And from my times at the Hockenheimring I remember some cars being WAY louder than my Subaru.
So I guess I just have to find out :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #115

I would recommend anyone thinking about those Prova Brake Ducts to buy an extra set of nerves.
Holy shitballs those things are the opposite of a good fitment.

Installed the resonator and cat delete...
...I dunno what to say.
I can't drive around like that...it's insane.
Sounds so good with the UEL Header though.
Raspy Rally Car-ish. Doesn't drone on the inside and is stupid loud on the outside.
From my gut feeling I can do one lap tomorrow and get black flagged for being too loud :rofl:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

Haha exactly!
Put the Resonator & Cat back on.
The Trackday on the 26th in France, the noise levels there are less strict.:D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - HHR time

What's pink and causes understeer?
Coolant.

So after maybe 9-10 laps today, I noticed some understeer. At first I thought I was pushing the tires too hard. Did a slower lap to have the tires cool down, went back on it, still understeer.
Figured it's gotta be the tire pressure being to high.
Back to the pits, stopped the car: Steam coming out of the hood scoop.
Oh shit, not again was my initial thought.
Popped the hood and found a VW Diesel...wait, no...I found my EJ207 having spilled coolant EVERYWHERE in the Engine bay.
My face then: :mad:
You can't do much with a boiling hot engine so I had to wait for it to cool down.
Other guy found me some tools in the meantime.
After removing the air intake I figured the Number #2 Fan cut the hose from the water bridge to the radiator. :tup:
Friend suggested to call the nearest Subaru Dealership.
"Hey, I'm at the Hockenheimring and my coolant hose is done, do you guys have a spare part in stock?"
Answer:
"Sadly we don't carry those special items..."
Me: :lol:
Well, in the end, Fred saved my day.
He's far away on holiday and read my forums post about the problem, called me and told me if I can drive to his Garage (10km away), he'll have someone unlock the front door and I can take on coolant hose from one of the cars resting behind the shop.
Drove there with my Friends E36 M3 Trackcar, found the front door unlocked, found the said GC8 STI Swap, loosend the clamps, pulled the hose off and went back to the Hockenheimring to fix my car.
Hooray for knowing the right people :cool::tup:
So many thank you's to him!

In the end, I'm glad I was able to drive the car back home. I REALLY hope that incident did not damage the engine. Car was running normal, no weird new noises.

In terms of the oilcooler:
I feel that thing might be a tad too effective.
I never saw temperatures going higher than 90°C while driving. Highest temp the Defis had stored was 97°C. Taken at Cylinder #3. (Hot car standing in the pits, engine on)
Maybe a 100°C Thermostat would be better than the 90°C?
Read some things about condesated water in the oil not being able to evaporate and things like that. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

On another topic, my Sparco Pro 2000 is crap. No matter how I set the seat I always have a bad seat position in terms of arms to steering wheel, arm to shifter, feet to pedals. The only legal way to have my steering wheel closer to myself (swap it with an OMP/Momo/etc one) is to get a cage & 4 point harnesses mounted all the time.
If I'd know how to finance that I'd do it I guess.

The worst part is...I should have never driven that 991 GT3.
I'm spoiled. :lol:
My car just feels so mushy and numb in terms of suspension response and I always thought it's doing alright. I might need to get KW V3 or alike.

And...it needs to loose weight.

Also I almost got dive bombed by a Porsche 996 GT3 Cup. I guess my experience saved me. I overtook him on the Parabolika because he had a bad line through the Parabolika Entry / wasn't quick anyway. So I went for a clean pass and prepared for the hard braking for the Spitzkehre (Hairpin). Stepped on the brakes, heal toe downshifted like a boss and in my peripheral vision the GT3 wasn't where I expected him to be. He was almost outside of my right mirror. So I reached the turn in point and was about to turn in when I turned my head slightly to the right to see where the GT3 is...at the same time I realized he's WAY to quick to make a solid overtake on the brake and opened up my steering.
Otherwise he would have dive bombed into my driver side door.

Hope Sebastian snapped some good pictures during my few laps I had today.
I need to sleep. Up since 0430am, only had 2 hours of sleep last night.
Story time over.
Cheers Guys :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - HHR Storytime...

So yesterday, Lars came over to weld the Flexpiece into the Uppipe & the Compensator into the Downpipe.
While we were doing the teardown, we also removed the Turbo to inspect it.
Shaft play is at a minimum which is good and the overall condition of the Blades and everything looked allright too.
Put everything back together and then I filled the coolant system one more time and waited till all bubbles were gone.
Drove back home and on the way I figured, if I boost over 1 bar, a weird wining noise appears. Not sure what's the cause yet. Car is fine on power though and boost comes up nicely.
I suspect maybe something with the inlet pipe is off. But I doubt it would cause that noise. I'll replace the inlet pipe soon. Have a 3" silicon one laying around since a long time.
Just need to source proper hose clamps that don't eat up the silicone when you tight them down.

Will stop by the stealership this week and order a new coolant hose and clamps so I can give it back to Fred.

My brother suggested I should just cut the fan blades so there's more room between the hose and the blades. The ends of the hose are already cut so there is already more room, I just want even more room.

Tbh I'm a bit confused about the coolant incident at the HHR.
There was NO indication that the car ran out of coolant. No smell, no steam while driving, nothing. No temp indication...Just the understeer I thought was the tire pressures not right.

Would monitoring the water pressure help? Is there enough pressure in the coolant system to be monitored? I don't want such a stupid thing happen again causing damage to the engine.

Not sure if I should just skip the club trackday and call it quits for this year.

Well, sorry again for the crappy phone pictures. There was no time pulling the DSLR out yesterday.

101 - 120 of 836 Posts