IW STi Forum banner

441 - 460 of 836 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Fire Extinguisher & Battery Holder #441

I'll do the rest of that brake cooling after the Time Attack. Brother needs to built the hose mounting brackets for the spindle.

Today he made me a Battery Holder and 2 Brackets to mount the Fire Extinguisher.

The Battery Holder is painted with Primer, I'll spray it and the Fire Extinguisher Brackets black sometime next week.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Corvette Z06 Brake Ducting #438

Tuned the car today. Max Boost is 20.3psi and with the 3 Port and the header (these two weren't tuned for last time) it's f**king fast.

I don't have any numbers but I'm happy with how it runs :)
An improvement to the last tune indeed!

I just hate Ecutek.
The replacement ECU I bought had Ecutek on it. Alex was able to flash the carberry rom onto it with ecuedit but you still can't use ecuflash to flash the map. Always gives you an "Is this ecu locked?" Error witch means I can't flash maps Alex sends me.

And you need the expensive ecuedit admin version to flash over Ecutek Roms. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts

I've heard its a great tuning aid, but I'm not a fan of supporting software which locks out the end user from hardware. If my car didn't come with an AP I wouldn't use one, and simply use carberry.

New tunes are fun right? lol

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #444

New Tunes are fun :)

Figured it out, am able to flash again!

Tested the GoPro while doing some logs.
How would you guys like this perspective for the Time Attack together with HLT Overlay?
would you want the GoPro to sit lower to see more of what's infront of the car?

Also:
Fuel Cut LC:

Didn't launch it though, don't want to break stuff before friday :lol:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

Are those 60mm STi Genome gauges ?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts

looking good!

I think the camera position should probably be a little lower and more forward if you can swing it... Ive had issues with cameras back that far in the past where everything outside the car is just drowned in light and hard to see...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #450

The boost gauge was a 52mm one but the others were 60mm so you are correct.

Pretty expensive dealer option too !
Yeah they are traded for a good coin :)
Would not have bought them if they didn't come with the car.
Won't sell them now because I like them :cool:

looking good!

I think the camera position should probably be a little lower and more forward if you can swing it... Ive had issues with cameras back that far in the past where everything outside the car is just drowned in light and hard to see...
I set the spot mode on the GoPro so the outside should not be over exposed.
I will see what I can do. It get's dark pretty quick these days. I come home from work at around 0630pm. Not much time to test stuff at daylight.
Just want to make sure I don't have to fiddle with settings on race day.
I just ran into trouble with the GPS Mouse. It was on and connected to HLT but HLT didn't get any data.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #451 (Edited)
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - German Time Attack Masters - Video Inside!

Allright my Subaru People :D

Let's start this German Time Attack Masters journey with what you all have asked for, a video!
So here it is, the Hotlap Final from the Club - 4WD Class run. Out lap - flying lap - in lap.

At the End of the Day it was P3 in the Club - 4WD Class for myself :eek:
This is just unbelievable for me!
I took all of this as an experience and see how I do and wasn't expecting much.
I wouldn't have been sad if I didn't make it into the finals because realistically, you can't just drive a track layout you've never driven on before, it being the first competitive event ever for me...I mean, what would be the outcome?
Frustrated?
Way too slow because of "those aliens" on the top of the timing list?
Well...
Turns out I might be one of those aliens actually :lol:

Here are the times from the warmup with the Club 2WD and Club 4WD mixed (P3):

And these are the qualy times of Club 4WD (P3):

Here I am, holding my first ever competition trophy!!!

:cool:

I'll write a more in detail post about how the day went went I find some time to do so.
There'll be more videos and hopefully more pictures soon!

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - German Time Attack Masters - Video Inside! #451

Congratulations Ben! Great results look forward to your write up.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - German Time Attack Masters - Video Inside! #451

Nicely done!

Awesome results for modification level.

Can't wait for the race report.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #455 (Edited)
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - GTAM - Video Inside! & write up - #451 & #455

Thank you guys, it's still hard to believe I pulled this off :lol:

So recap:

On Thursday my Buddy Sebastian told me I can stop by his house to grab some GoPros so I can make videos for you guys ;)
Since I was driving the car every day of the week after work to get log data for Alex, I decided to take the STI out again for some more logs.
We were having a little bit of trouble with overshooting boost target. So I drove some patterns for Alex so he'll be able to tune it out.
After I picked up the GoPros I went onto the highway to drive back home. I was just cruising when I saw a Mercedes behind me flashing his highbeams.
Pulling onto the next Rest Area I took a look around the car and it seemed fine.
Popped the Hood to find out it's pushing coolant on the lower Radiator hose.
Drove back home carefully and inspected any closer then only Idea I had was tightening the Hose Clamp more.
Found out on friday that it actually did the job. Don't know why it loosened itself as I replaced it together with the hose when I installed the Mishimoto Radiator.
Before I went to bed I made sure I loaded tools, carjack, jackstands and everything into Steffie's Support Vehicle Audi A3 S-Line.
I just wanted to be able to hop in the cars in the morning and take off.

After a solid four hours of sleep we got up at 4AM on Friday.
Hopped into the cars at 5AM and took off.
Uneventful 1h30min tour to the Hockenheimring.
We arrived at around 0645am after I filled up the Subaru with 98octane (that's 93 premium for you guys). Basically everyone in the Paddock was still asleep or still in their Hotels.
It was very peaceful with some decent cars parked in the Paddock.
Most of the cars were in the Pitboxes behind closed Gates and quite a few people slept in their cars and in the Pit Boxes.
Proper #gridlife there :)

The paddock started to become filled with life some time after 7am and a constant flow of even more Rigs (SUV pulling Trailer with Car on mostly) began.
Registration began at 8am.
We got our stickers and the transponder and made our way back to the car to put those on. Luckily I brought some quick wax and towels to clean the areas we put the stickers on. Because she's not a trailer queen and get's dirty being daily driven :D
So after we were done doing that we waited for the drivers briefing which happend to be at around 0830am.

The Race Director of the Hockenheimring had some words of wisdom and motivation for us in the typical fashion the locals of the Hockenheim area have. You just gotta love their dialect :)

First Training Session started at 0900am for Club 2WD and Club 4WD Classes which went for half an hour.
We hopped into the car and drove a few laps to get in the groove. Somehow I wasn't really happy because I felt like I "don't feel the car". Times said 1:19 something + sometime mid first session my 5hz GPS mouse stopped working + I noticed the GoPro I had synced to Harrys Laptimer wasn't recording. For whatever reason.
I was testing it the day before and it worked fine.
This was even more convincing for me to get something like the Racecapture Pro Box.
Proper data aquisition is an important part of motorsports and a good tool to educate yourself about your driving.
And I feel this is just nothing that will always work 100% on a smartphone...

Anyway we went into the second training session and managed to do more laps. I had adjusted tire pressures and it went better but still I wasn't 100% confident about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 1 tires.

Also another thing I haven't figured out was, where they were showing the times...because why else would everyone get a transponder?!
It was about shortly before the warmup ended when my Buddy Florian approached me and said something like: "You're doing well!"
I was a bit puzzled and said: "How do you know?"
Flo: "There's a tv showing times in Pit 2"
And indeed...I couldn't believe what I saw.
P4 overall with Club 2WD and Club 4WD in the mix...
And ignoring that Club 2WD Corvette which was from the Swiss Time Attack, I was even on P2 in my class!!
1/10 faster than a Swiss Time Attack R35 GTR and half a second faster than the first Evo 9 of our Club 4WD Class.
The only car faster at that point was the Evo X which was 2 seconds quicker. But that's not surprising. What surprised me more was that all the other Evos were slower than us.

The only advantage I have is knowing the Hockenheimring very well because it's my favourite racetrack and I'm there quite often. But then again I have never driven the short layout before.
Those other Evos had some coin put into and my buddy said it's easy to go up to 400hp at the crank with a Stock Turbo Evo.
So at least a few if not all of them also had a power advantage.
And I saw Dunlop Direzzas and Toyo R888 in use too.
Also I doubt any of those guys is running KW V1 Coilovers like I did.
Maybe in the end it was just because I knew the track better than anyone else...I don't want to judge people because everyone I talked to was showing a good motorsports attitute and you felt instantly at home at that Time Attack Event. So good vibes there in the Pits :)

I went out for my qualifying session at 0230pm. Again, mixed Club 2WD and Club 4WD Classes which meant a lot of traffic and it'd be difficult to get a free lap.
Because that's what I noticed during practise.
SO
MUCH
TRAFFIC
So the important thing was to find a time slot where I was able to set a fast lap.
I wasn't really happy how it was and then at one time mid qualifying I got fuel cuts because fuel got lower than half a tank and somehow I thought I would make it on fuel with what was left in the tank after the Warmup.
That inlap I was quite down because of how well everything went during warm up. I knew I had a 1:16:344 on the board because my laptimer was acutally working, but I don't know how fast the others went.
So back in the Pits Steffie came to my car and thought I broke something.
I just said: Fuelcuts...there's not enough time to refuel and go back out...
She said: "You're P4 and there are six and a half minutes left..."
Then Flo chimed in: "You're actually second because there's one Club 2WD Car faster and the other one is a Club 4WD Swiss Time Attack Car"

This was just unreal!!!
Did I really make it into the finals?
REALLY?
After the remaining time was over:
YES I DID...I DID IT.

This whole thing that started as a: "hey that's a lot of track time for that money let's just see how everything goes" suddently turned into a "We're fighting for the podium!!"

The final drivers briefing was at 0345pm and they told us that they seperate the Club 2WD into Club 2WD Swiss Time attack and Club 2WD German Time attack. No changes to the Club 4WD Class so this meant starting order for the Final in the Club 4WD Class was:

1. Evo X
2. R35 GTR (Swiss Time Attack)
3. myself
4. Evo 8
5. Evo 9
6. Evo 9
7. Evo 5

5 seconds starting delay out of the pits so there was enough seperation between the cars on track.

Sitting in line in the pits waiting was probably the most nerve wracking thing all day long.
I also noticed the Evo X was not first but second in the order so I told one of the staff members and they made sure cars are in the right order.

The Evo X launches.
The GTR launches.
I'm about to be next: DON'T FUCK IT UP.
Flag waved and off I went.

Accelerating out of the pits I was fully focused and aware my tires are cold.
I know I can test how much grip they have out of Turn two with some Power Oversteer.
That test showed: oh shit, they are THAT cold :rofl:
Now how do I find the fine line between heating them up and not overheating them.
I went for the slow approach and settled with: rather too cold than too hot.
Out of sachs corner I went for some power oversteer again and in the last turn, the Suedkurve, I felt confident.
WOT on the Main straight I shifted into 5th and focused on the braking point into turn one.
I didn't want to fuck it up now so I said to myself: do 98% and not 100%
I felt happy with Turn one and maxed 4th before braking into Turn 2.
Brake early and don't overshoot!!!
I did and I felt the rear coming alive as I trailbraked into Turn 2.
At the same time I hit the high side of the inner curb which unsettled the car. Once it dove back in I instantly knew from training this will be a wide line with a lively rear.
And how lively that rear end was!!!
Colin McRae's famous words were ringing in my head:
"If in doubt, flat out!"

I was in third and floored it. I went sideways and heard the rear left tire hit the outside curb.
I corrected the sideways action and was still moving in the right direction :D

Thank you outside curb for saving my ass.
If there would have been dirt I'd probably would have spun out :D
Big moment right there, but I made it through and was flying into the fast 5th gear left hander before hard braking into the slowest point of the track, the chicane that get's you back onto the GP course.
You loose a lot of time here if you overshoot your turn in point but I felt I hit it right.
With my old tune I would have downshifted into second gear, but with the new tune, the spool was so much better I was able to leave it in third. A short shift into fourth and I went into the long righthander that brings you back into the Motodrome.
Sachs corner ahead, I know how to take it, but I would prefer some oversteer out of there over understeer.
Little bit of steering input and pedal to the metal and off we went...I bet the people on the grandstands loved it :D
Next the left-right combination and the long, wide righthander. Felt I hit it perfectly and carried good speed into the last corner. All in fourth gear!
With my old tune again, this would have been a third gear corner.
Start-Finish line ahead, one last shift into 5th and it was over.

Laptimer showed a 1:17:08 which was fine for me considering my first ever Time Attack Hot Lap Finale :)

But I didn't know how fast the others were.
So it was back into the pits and the waiting game began because they said they'll announce the winners at the podium ceremony at 0530pm.

Standing there with all the other Drivers I still had no clue.
I mean, the lap was a solid 0.7 seconds slower than my fastest.
Would I end up on the unthankful fourth place?

They were doing the Swiss Time Attack Winning Ceremonies first so it was another 15 minutes of waiting until they started with the Club 2WD German Time Attack Masters ceremonies.

And then we came to the Club 4WD Class.
The announcer: "And for third place, with a time of 1:17:154..."

Boy was I happy!!!
I was told afterwards, the Evo X didn't get the memo and has been disqualified because he went for TWO fast laps...well thanks Evo X driver because that earned me the third spot on the Podium :cool::tup:

I'm not even sad for not being quicker because the Evo on P2 was faster than my fastest time that day.

Tunrs out my time was fast enough for P2 in Pro 4WD and faster than Pro 2WD.
Could I ask for more at my first Time Attack Event?
Well...

NO :)

Glad I could hold the Subaru Flag high that day, it was an EPIC experience with a very unexpected outcome for the positive :)

Thank yous go out to:
- Steffie, my SO for supporting me and living with my moods :lol:
- Felix for giving me all his proper driving equipment for this event :)
- My Dad for being my zero interest bank from time to time :D
- Alex from our little company called tracktoys.de for the awesome tune on my car
- Lars for the header which seems to do an awesome job in exhaust gas flow
- You guys for all the support, tech talk, trash talk and browsing through here :)

Here's the same video I posted yesterday but with Multi View and Data Overlay for the hotlap:

Full Qualifying session:

Full Warmup session:

I'm cutting more video material as I type. So you can expect more to come from the Warmup and Qualifying soon :)

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - GTAM - Video & Race Day Report Inside! - #451 & #455

Great writeup the iPad mini won't let me view the video, so will look later when I'm on the laptop. Felt like I was almost there from your writeup. Let's see a closeup picture of your trophy.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
Re: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - GTAM - Video & Race Day Report Inside! - #451 & #455

Great writeup the iPad mini won't let me view the video, so will look later when I'm on the laptop. Felt like I was almost there from your writeup. Let's see a closeup picture of your trophy.
There you go:

Dunno why the Ipad won't let you view the video!?
Search for tracktoys.de on youtube. You should find it there.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Nice trophy and now the YouTube link works, thanks for the ride along.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #459

I added the full warmup session for your viewing pleasure at the bottom of post #455 :)

Full qualy session to come soon.

441 - 460 of 836 Posts