IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i've been looking for some info on which one works better for our stock turbos and will still run well with an FP green later on down the road. i currently have a screwed up catted helix DP which is clogged from running over 6 gallons of oil through it in two years ( subaru finally replaced my motor ) so the question is, must be catted; the bellmouth desgin open design/ with splitter for the wg OR a true divorced style system with two seperate pipes meeting further down the dp. ..

has anyone tried or have the MadDad(TM) Metal V2 two-piece Downpipe?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
pimpsti said:
I have it...excellent quality. But, the PITA part about it is that while you can switch out the catted section to uncatted, that section attaches to the turbo. The TXS has the catted section at the lower portion of the dp which is much easier to change. If I had to do it over again, I would get a set-up like the TXS.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am currently running the maddad V2 and the 3CE Midpipe. The workmanship and welds are very good! I had no installation issues...it was a perfect fit. I have had it on for 8,000 miles now with absolutly no problems. Oh yes...Absolutly NO BOOST CREEP either!!! I would definitely recommend it.

Freddie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome!!! thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
The Maddad piece is a very well made pipe... I did not want my cat that close to the turbo, so I opted a different route. But I did go through MadDad for their catback portion of the exhaust.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Sniper, i know what you mean about the cat being close to the turbo. The helix catted dp is the same, it's only a few inches from the turbo... i know i should probably just get another helix dp but i just thought this would be a good time to see what others are running and if there's something a bit better....

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
pimpsti said:
thanks Sniper, i know what you mean about the cat being close to the turbo. The helix catted dp is the same, it's only a few inches from the turbo... i know i should probably just get another helix dp but i just thought this would be a good time to see what others are running and if there's something a bit better....

I personally recommend the Crucial piece... ceramic coated, twin-dump, and allows the choice of catless racepipe or catted midpipe. I like Cobb's offering of downpipes, but cannot run a pipe with a 2.5" taper...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JJ18Sniper said:
I personally recommend the Crucial piece... ceramic coated, twin-dump, and allows the choice of catless racepipe or catted midpipe. I like Cobb's offering of downpipes, but cannot run a pipe with a 2.5" taper...

cool i just email Crucial for the full scoop and also the availablity. If not i may end up giving the MadDad a go. thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
pimpsti said:
cool i just email Crucial for the full scoop and also the availablity. If not i may end up giving the MadDad a go. thanks again

[email protected] will definitely take care of you... best of luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also thanks "Quick" and "Freddie" for the great input. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JJ18Sniper said:
[email protected] will definitely take care of you... best of luck.
oh snap!! that's right! i just saw him at a local meet not to long ago!!!! you are da man!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Phil from Element showed me a very cool divorced downpipe. He was explaining to me the problem with most divorced dp's, and how they don't allow the wastegate flapper enough room to fully open.

I'm not sure if his new dp is available yet, but I'd give him a call.

·
Registered
92 Posts
pimpsti said:
I have had the MadDad for a couple of weeks, and I love it. Highly recommended, great quality, easy to install with good fit. I like the cat close to the turbo, it warms up quickly, and the mid pipe is designed to look like a "cat". Would buy all over again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a MadDad v2 downpipe. It's almost a work of art on how well that thing is put together. And there is no boost creep at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys. i think i have made my mind up to get one too :)

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
The maddad having placement of the cat closer to the turbo results in a cleaner burn for emissions, but compromises the benefit of it further from the turbo. Take a look at the cobb downpipe, where the cat is located in the midpipe region. This allows more flow and less restriction straight out of the turbo directly into the downpipe. The semi-catless design on the maddad though is extremely innovative and one of a kind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ok guys i have heard the same all over but i want to hear some numbers like how much more hp does it make over simular downpipes (invidia v3) and regular downpipes. Also what will a cat do to those numbers? which setup does it effect more? I wanted he aps but i cant get just a catback and this dp so i need to know if its worth it or should i just say f it and just go w the aps tbe? let me know guys, thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
bhp808 said:
ok guys i have heard the same all over but i want to hear some numbers like how much more hp does it make over simular downpipes (invidia v3) and regular downpipes. Also what will a cat do to those numbers? which setup does it effect more? I wanted he aps but i cant get just a catback and this dp so i need to know if its worth it or should i just say f it and just go w the aps tbe? let me know guys, thanks
I read alot about this topic over on Nasioc. In conclusion...for a stage 2 STi, all well made downpipes make the same amount of power whether the cat is near the turbo or whether it is in the mid pipe section or whether it is divervorced or bellow. Take it how you want though. It just comes down to what you perfer an want to spend your money on. For me....id rather save the 200 or more and just get the helix. If someone is gonna prove me wrong please post dyno plots please. Im going to try to find some of the post from Nasioc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts