IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first ticket in this car.... :evil: :oops: :x

No need to say it, but I am pissed. Well, I guess I got what I asked for, but still. Not happy.

Anyway, the officer claimed to have used radar and also paced me using his speedo. His read higher than mine, definitely. But I don't believe he used radar because my Bel 985 never even flinched, no noise at all, and no visual.

Anyone ever have a close range, direct hit from any type of radar currently in use NOT register AT ALL on their detector? Please don't get into a V1 vs. Cobra vs. Bel type discussion if possible. :D Thanks. I basically am finding it hard to believe I could have been directly radar'd at close range and not have it pick up on my detector and just want to sanity check myself.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Could have been a plane.... they use planes to time you between set markers sometimes....

I would definately take it to court, because the fact that your gun didn't go off is enough to show, at least with some doubt, that you might not have been radar'd at all.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this was in town at night in the rain and we don't use planes around here anyway. I think he saw my radar detector and it rubbed him the wrong way, although in his defense he was very courteous and polite and didn't give me any attitude about that or anything else.

Actually, I probably would have pulled me over too, my only dispute is the radar and the fact that I was hoping he would see my driving record (good) and decide to just warn me instead. :D I have a feeling the Sti is not a "I'll let you off with a warning" type of car. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Update

I had 2 different Bel radar detectors and 1 just stopped working after only 1 year and the other one seemed to seldom go off or warn me of radar after about a year. Got a V1 and never looked back.

BTW, if the cop knows you have a radar detector I can almost guarantee you will get a ticket regardless of the kind of car you are driving.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinner is better?

Yeah. Unfortunately I couldn't help it. The thing is mounted beside my mirror and I couldn't really remove it w/o being obvious.

I've only had this Bel a very short time, but I don't know. Maybe I should ebay it. I still don't believe him because I have had it warn me on other occasions and he claimed he was pointing the gun at me from a short distance away. Problem is he was traveling at the time and my understanding is that makes their reading less accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah you don't want to start fumbling around with something if the cop can see you. If I have time after I pass a cop and see him turn around I grab mine and throw it in the back seat or something but there was a time I did not see the cop till he was behind me so there was not much I could do with the detector but turn it off so it was not beeping as he was talking up to my car.

I once got pulled over and the cop said he clocked me going something but my V1 never went off. Even if he could not get an accurate reading or no reading at all I should still have been notified by my detector, so I asked to see his radar gun's readout. I never asked this before but I seriously doubted he used his radar gun. I was in my Supra and hammered it on this straight I just turned onto, my Supra is loud so I know that got his attention and it was probably pretty obvious I broke the 25 mph limit. Anyway he said no I could not see it and that he did not have to show me and a judge would not say he had to either. He did totally change his tone after that and let me go without even a warning. So I don't know, I trust my V1 and if it does not go off and the cop says he got me on radar I am going to question him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a 985...

It's worked well for me so far. I live in the mountains and it has saved me a number of times.

But this morning I experienced something that has never happened before. As I was traveling down a curvy road my detector began to chime, there was nothing in site, but the signal was becoming stronger. I was amazed as a newer prelude(modded) swept the corner heading towards me. As he went by the detector peaked and then quieted just as it does with police radar.

Could this be the effect of a jammer?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Probably. That is all they really do is set off everyone's detector around you. In heavy traffic it can kind of defeat the purpose giving everyone around you the idea that a cop is nearby. They will all slow down causing you to have to slow down behind them. When I was using the POS jammer I had, I sometimes had people in traffic give me hand signals to slow down when I would pass by or come up behind them and I could see their radar detector all lit up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting.

Will a Valentine react in the same way?

One thing I do wish is that the detector could tell the difference 'tween a highway patrol and a grocery store door opener. :-?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
No it won't. The V1 is a radar detector that does not leak any signals. What I had was an active radar jammer that sent out a signal that supposedly jams police radar. It supposedly sends out a signal that is suppose to be identical to the cops radar gun. Since the radar gun then gets 2 identical signals back it confuses the radar gun somehow so it does not display your speed. Anway the POS I had was always sending out a signal so it always set everyones detector off around me. I would sometimes run into a fellow coworker on the commute home and he would say he always knew when I was around because his detector would start going crazy. I used to occasionally see if I could see radar detectors in cars around me and when I would look they were always light up as I passed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts