IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really have a passion for STI's and Subaru but where do I start to learn about STI engines and their parts and how to work on them

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
download the FSM for your particular car or if you dont own one yet, pick one as the EJ has pretty much stayed the same from 04 with some minor tweaks throughout the years.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on building/disassembling etc.

Stay off Facebook groups.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Depends on where you are starting from. If from the beginning then generic knowledge of reciprocation engines and basic mechanical experience such as checking and changing your cars oil are good staring places. Don't do anything that you are not sure you understand. Putting water in your oil pan or oil in you radiator are not good things . . . and since my kids are gone, if you live in SJ the you can help me pull a Savana trans :)

Reactions: Jay11STI

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I mean learning and understanding is different from actually doing. You can learn alot of information right here on the forums. There are tons of threads and post about all kinds of issues and moddifications. There are alot of helpfull people on here with actual knowledge and experience.

Now when it comes to the doing part, well thats something you will have to develop over time. Being mechanically inclinded does not translate to being mechanically capable.

What is it exactly that you are trying to do/learn about?

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
It was too difficult :)

and our smart ass answer should have been in a garage . . . .

Reactions: Jay11STI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems to be pretty much every thread by a new member on here now a days.
Not my thread but I have a question, just bought my first STI (2009) is reading the dipstick the same a any engine? Not sure with it being a boxer engine and don’t want to over fill it. Also does anyone know where the 02 sensor fuse is?

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Doubt there is an O2 specific fuse

Checking oil level in a Subie:

These days manual says check warm.

If you want consistent readings stop the engine hot at a level location. Wait a short period, check, and adjust. Doing otherwise can produce significanty different results.

Reactions: Scargo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doubt there is an O2 specific fuse

Checking oil level in a Subie:

These days manual says check warm.

If you want consistent readings stop the engine hot at a level location. Wait a short period, check, and adjust. Doing otherwise can produce significanty different results.
Should the oil level show as any other car (oil should be between the two markers on the dipstick) not sure with it being a boxer engine

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Should the oil level show as any other car (oil should be between the two markers on the dipstick) not sure with it being a boxer engine
The oil should be at the full mark of the dipstick as it would on any other enginer. The full mark on our dipsticks is the upper dot. If your oil level is between the upper and lower dot (the middle) then you need to add oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The car had a major service in December, I bought the car yesterday and the dipstick is saying no oil (I wipe it, dip and check it again in flat surface with engine off after 10 minutes) I put some in to top it up (half a litre) and still nothing but there is no oil warning light and the car sounds fine after a 100 mile trip

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd keep adding more until it shows. Something is not right. You can drain it and put same oil back in worse case.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I’ve never come across this before and could only guess there is no oil and a dodgy oil sensor or somehow blocked dipstick hole (wasn’t sure with it being a boxer engine)
Another question. Does the cruise and sport mode icons always flash when engine management light is on? Came on yesterday and now I can’t change drive modes but everything is the same to drive. Also where is the diagnostics port on a 2009 hatchback model?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Pretty sure that it is indicating that something is not right. This happens to my BMW.
If you have a boost leak it will go into limp (no boost) mode. This is likely similar. Might be bad gas. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
I am too late - but if you just drove it off the lot with no oil on the stick - I would have recommended to to return the car that way and find another - somewhere else. Now you have additional problems too.

Reactions: Scargo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts