IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I had put this post some were else and copied it here.)

Hi guys... Well I have a serious question for serious replys...
I'm soon to purchase a new car, and I'm having trouble chooseing which car to purchase. It's between the STI, regular WRX, or EVO. I know you's get these questions all the time, but when someone is spending over $30,000 on a car I need to get the most for my money.
I know all the specks of each car and test drove them all. They are all great in their own special way. But my main question is to those who own these car's is, Which one is the most RELIABLE, has the best durability and longevity, and least amounts of problems?
I looked at reviews and forums but I'll be their for ever looking for so-so information. I'm looking for owners responses. Which car has came up with the most common problems that I need to change, fix or look forward to?
For example: I hear of Problems with the new STI having detination problems. I also hear that Mitisubishi's quality and reliability is poor. But both are great cars.
These car's last for so long... then how long do thay last?
Please help me in making my decision.

Thank yo so much....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
It all depends on what you want. If you don't need tons of power then the base WRX is good enough. If your looking for a near super car go with the STi or EVO. Personally I need more power so Im going to buy an STi next year. If you need somthing that practical, reliable, and uses less fuel go with the base WRX. The quality of the base WRX is better then STi or EVO. Personally, I think the STi is the best "Bang For Buck" car on the market right now.

So it's up to you, Reliable/practical/quality/good performance=base WRX
Fast/Fun/god like performance/head turner= STi or EVO
Good Luck :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Pete
I had an Acura Integra with 200,000 Miles before I bought my STI. I needed a car that would take that kind of use with no problem. So far I have 1000 miles on my STI. I have not heard the Detonation problems people were talking about. And I haven't had serious problems with the car. I think Subaru is a very reliable car. Good luck making your decision
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Hi, I have an Blue gold STI and White silver EVO8 . The STI has about 1300 and EVO at about 800 Miles. I love both cars. The STI has that good looks of exterior and interior design. Performance is exceptional. Definitely a head turner.My opinion the Evo has better handling and better ride for daily driving.Performance is very good . I believe both cars should be reliable. This are their WRC Cars.I have a few vehicles so i don't drive them everyday. If you have a daily driver,buy the STI ... if not it's just your personal preference. Either way you will not go wrong. Goodluck
MIKe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info.
It's really hard trying to make a decision with these cars.

Mike TBF, if you had to make a choice as a long term car, a car that over-all fell's like it's going to last for a long time, a car that you don't have no 2nd thoughts of having, just one car. Which would you choose, Evo or STI? WHY?

What are things you's guys dis-like about the STI or WRX?
I live in CT, it snows here. So the first thing I would like to do is change to a more usefull tire, to a Ultra high performance-all season tire.

Truthfully, I'm a Subaru fan. I've been wanting this car for a long time, WRX or STI. I know I'm going to do small mods to the WRX if I were to purchase it. Like a better brake kit, Better lubricants, Stabilizer and suspension mods, ect:... But for that, I would just by the STI and have something rare, something hard to get, or even see.

The STI has it all. I really don't need to modify the car. But you got to :D.

Then comes the EVO in every review I read, they just keep talking about it's controll, It's abillity. I really don't hear of reviews of the STI compared to other cars.
Q? Where do you see these two cars (EVO & STI) in 5 years. having the same mileage. Which would go down as a better long term car and less money being put into it?
It's really a hard choice. I test drove both and really couldn't get to fell them like I wanted to. The dealer is strick on the test drive. Overall, the STI sounds, looks, and overall fells better. But I see people reporting problems about the STI on forums. I really haven't read problems on the EVO. ARE there any for the EVO?
I'm a little upset that the STI when it was announced to be sold in America, that it had more better specs than the EVO, then when compared, was slightly rated a little lower in overall performance. I don't get it. :(

THANKS AGAIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
**INITIAL D** DVDs

Subaru has come out with a fix for the pinging, which is the major issue. I've heard that EVOs have been having clutch and tranny problems. With 19.5 pounds of boost, I have a hard time believing that the EVO will still run well after 80,000 miles. I could very well be wrong, though.

As for the handling, my friend had an alignment done on his STi and now the thing corners much better. A more aggressive alingment puts its handling on par with the EVO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
windmill said:
As for the handling, my friend had an alignment done on his STi and now the thing corners much better. A more aggressive alingment puts its handling on par with the EVO.
What did your friend do to his alignment that made it better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
hughbob said:
windmill said:
As for the handling, my friend had an alignment done on his STi and now the thing corners much better. A more aggressive alingment puts its handling on par with the EVO.
What did your friend do to his alignment that made it better?
I think it was a little negative camber adjustment (or something like that? I'm not the alignment pro :oops: ). It's now very responsive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Pete47 said:
Thanks guys for the info.
It's really hard trying to make a decision with these cars.

Mike TBF, if you had to make a choice as a long term car, a car that over-all fell's like it's going to last for a long time, a car that you don't have no 2nd thoughts of having, just one car. Which would you choose, Evo or STI? WHY?

What are things you's guys dis-like about the STI or WRX?
I live in CT, it snows here. So the first thing I would like to do is change to a more usefull tire, to a Ultra high performance-all season tire.

Truthfully, I'm a Subaru fan. I've been wanting this car for a long time, WRX or STI. I know I'm going to do small mods to the WRX if I were to purchase it. Like a better brake kit, Better lubricants, Stabilizer and suspension mods, ect:... But for that, I would just by the STI and have something rare, something hard to get, or even see.

The STI has it all. I really don't need to modify the car. But you got to :D.

Then comes the EVO in every review I read, they just keep talking about it's controll, It's abillity. I really don't hear of reviews of the STI compared to other cars.
Q? Where do you see these two cars (EVO & STI) in 5 years. having the same mileage. Which would go down as a better long term car and less money being put into it?
It's really a hard choice. I test drove both and really couldn't get to fell them like I wanted to. The dealer is strick on the test drive. Overall, the STI sounds, looks, and overall fells better. But I see people reporting problems about the STI on forums. I really haven't read problems on the EVO. ARE there any for the EVO?
I'm a little upset that the STI when it was announced to be sold in America, that it had more better specs than the EVO, then when compared, was slightly rated a little lower in overall performance. I don't get it. :(

THANKS AGAIN.
I'm also in a similar dilemma on the STi vs. Evo decision. If your browse the evolutionm.net site, you'll see that some people have been having clutch issues as well as some transmission problems. The clutch issue has me the most worried.
And Mitsu did issue a recall for Evos because of bad ECU wiring or something like that, but I don't know how many cars are affected. I've never owned cars from either make before but I personally think Subaru might be the better choice
in terms of reliability. I now there isn't another car in Mitsu's line up that I would consider buying except the Evo, while I would seriously consider buying a regular WRX besides the STi (or maybe the Legacy STi 8) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Re: Thanks for the reply.

yes, i went and tuned in the most -camber i could get on the front (stock was 0).....now its much sharper...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
As of right now ,I don't have any Tranny or clutch issues.But it has less than 1000 miles. As far as depreciation, I think the STI will hold its value, Looking at mitsubishi's history. But then again , this is the first time the Evo is available in the US market. From Asia Europe Australia and the US it got excellent reviews. That's the reason why I bought the 2 cars. Modesty aside. I have owned and driven, AMGs , Porsches, Bimmers, NSX etc...which cost about 3 times the STI or EVO . And I have the same excitement and enjoyment .If you're leaning towards the Subaru and you have the budget ,Get the STI. Don't get the regular wrx. I think for 6000 more you get a hell of a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly Yuknoart, For $2500 I can Buy the Brembro's for the WRX then I have to Install them, Who know's how much that goes for... and if you add up that money so far doing that mod alone- Then I'm just better-off getting the STI.

Hey MATADOR? Can you explain to me about the recall on the EVO and where did you get that specific info from? Doesn't it suck deciding which car is overall better?
I guess the STI is really the winner in overall battle comparing it to the EVO. People only speake about how great it handles. Isn't it possible to bring up the handling on the STI with just a few suspension parts like, stabilizers, sway bars, ect...
Wouldn't it compare to the EVO's handling then?
 

·
So Gangster It Hurts
Joined
·
3,521 Posts
To be honest. . . shhhhh. . . . I've been battling with the recent development of also considering a 350Z Track. I'm 31, single, no children, etc, etc. . . . and the insurance costs are the same for both the Z and the STi as it is for my 2002 Civic! :lol:

Practical side of me says: "Get the STi. . . AWD, 4 doors, trunk, easily and relatively-cheaply modifiable. . . "

The kid in me says: "Get the Z Art! It's a real sports car, you've never had a sports car before, it's got way sexy lines, almost as much power, and there's already a supercharger out for it."

Here's the catch. I've been reading on some sites about concerns over the Nissan paint. . . and how it orange-peels and easily chips off the car. Also, lots of small rattles early on, and other little nit-picky things. To be frank, I was about ready to go for one until I started reading all that hooplah. I really don't know how much of it is true, just yet. . . but it IS pushing me to the STi again really fast. I've heard of almost no problems with the STi's mechanics, etc. . . just that little ECU reflash.

Really, I couldn't go wrong with either car. I test drove one of each just 20 minutes apart. Both were fully broken-in and if anything, the test drive just went to show me that the Z is a top contender in its own right. I really wish I could ignore all the aparent issues owners are having with the cars. . . but in the end, the STi seems like a bulletproof car to choose among all the "iffy" competition. I'm not downplaying the STi in ANY WAY. The performance scared the bejesus out of me (in a good way) and I know I'll love owning one. I would, however, be shortchanging myself if I didn't give all the competitors that interest me in this price range an equal and fair chance at my potential ownership. :)

Oh, and since one of my very good friends already has an Evo (since April) I quickly dismissed it from my short list. Why have two of the same cars in our circle of friends when we can enjoy a variety? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
TR11 said:
yes, i went and tuned in the most -camber i could get on the front (stock was 0).....now its much sharper...
TR11,

What was the -camber value? Did you do it at Subaru?
And... how's the balance now? (under vs. oversteer..)

Thanks,

Rich
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top