IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all. Been lurking for quite some time. I almost got a WRX last year but decided to wait until the STI's came out. I still need a few questions answered to help me decide between a few cars.

1. The cup holder issue - the upper flip out one sucks. What is the little "pocket" in the middle section by the emergency break? Is that also a cup holder?

2. The flapping rear wing issue - is it distracting or do you get used to it? Any ideas about an aftermarket "stiffener" that can be attached or inserted into the wing?

3. The ICE - if there is no factory radio, what about the speakers? Anyone try the factory "ugraded" speakers? Worth the money?

4. The fog light issue - how is it that some STi's come with them and almost all others don't? It doesn't appear to be available as a factory add-on. Is the switch for the fogs where one of the blank buttons are next to the headlight leveler?

5. The maintenance issue - what is the schedule for changing the diff oil (center and others) and the regular oil (assuming synthetic)? I saw sombody posted an interval of 7.5k miles for the engine oil, but that seems extreme for a turbo car.

6. Related to #4 above, the blank button issue - there appears to be several do-nothing buttons in the dash and console of the STi (two by the ligh leveler, and on by the manual diff control switch). What were supposed to be there?

7. The factory boost gauge issue - any idea how it is attached? Would it be impossible to move it off the stock location and transplant it elsewhere. Also, if I by an aftermarket gauge, can I simply unplug the stock gauge and plug the new one in?

Thanks for the info in advance.

--AEM

·
Registered
311 Posts
3. The ICE - if there is no factory radio, what about the speakers? Anyone try the factory "ugraded" speakers? Worth the money?
Im pretty sure no one wants the factory speakers or stereo. Go out and buy yourself a good system with the money you "saved" from buying an STi instead of something else :p

4. The fog light issue - how is it that some STi's come with them and almost all others don't? It doesn't appear to be available as a factory add-on. Is the switch for the fogs where one of the blank buttons are next to the headlight leveler?
I guess you will just have to ask for the fog lights to be installed, or get your own installed.

6. Related to #4 above, the blank button issue - there appears to be several do-nothing buttons in the dash and console of the STi (two by the ligh leveler, and on by the manual diff control switch). What were supposed to be there?
Theres always blank buttons in ever car. Its so you can add your own junk. Like that auto turbo spray thing someone was talking about.

·
Registered
176 Posts
1. The cup holder issue - the upper flip out one sucks. What is the little "pocket" in the middle section by the emergency break? Is that also a cup holder?

Yes it is. It actually fits more sizes than it looks like it can. I fit a Taco Bell Giant sized cup in there. Anything with a wider bottom won't fit like 20oz platic bottles.

2. The flapping rear wing issue - is it distracting or do you get used to it? Any ideas about an aftermarket "stiffener" that can be attached or inserted into the wing?

Not distracting to me. Mine is silent. You'll just get vibration if you look in your rear view at 50mph+

Aftermarket is always better when it comes to sound.

Nope, I'm sure one can be added.

5. The maintenance issue - what is the schedule for changing the diff oil (center and others) and the regular oil (assuming synthetic)? I saw sombody posted an interval of 7.5k miles for the engine oil, but that seems extreme for a turbo car.

It's 3000 mi. and the factory oil is not synthetic. The dealers recommend the switch to synthetic at 10,000mi.

Who knows? There are no blank spots by the man. controll diff. There is a switch there for auto on/off, the manual switch roller, and the left/right mirror controlls.

7. The factory boost gauge issue - any idea how it is attached? Would it be impossible to move it off the stock location and transplant it elsewhere. Also, if I by an aftermarket gauge, can I simply unplug the stock gauge and plug the new one in?

Don't know. The stock boost gague sucks tho. Not worth the money and the color doesn't match the cars illumination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: 330hp 2.0L STi

They installed mine on the steering column(was there when I bought it). It sucks because its numbers are small, its in bars, it doesnt match the stock inst. gauges, and it looks cheap. Even the autometer ones look much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts