IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those little side lips are kinda fragile.

I've been manking on mine a bit pulling out of the driveway. I don't mind a few battle scars, but those lips are integral with the side skirts, so a full blow-out would be problematic.

The lips are praticularly susceptible to scrape damage when backing down a convex (up) surface. They're just clipped to the plastic above.

M

·
0 Posts
I've scraped the crap out of my front spoiler lips already, :)

Nothing like a minor elevation change at high speed to take another layer of the paint off the bottom! It's pretty much the reason I decided not to get the front spoiler lip thing from Japan, since I figured out I would destroy it really quickly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
ya, I pulled off the lips and put on the JDM spoiler after scraping them up a few times. Even though I've been careful I've still managed to scrape the lip but its not noticable unless you are under the car.......I can still take pics like this though.....

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's a nice clean look. I like it.

'Course you're losing at least 20whp by giving up the USDM splitters. :wink:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your cars lowered?
If you mean me, no mine's stock height. I'm sure that I will lower it when I start working on the suspension though, hence the concern. I've got just about exactly 1" of clearance when the car is at the end of my driveway, so I guess I'll either be looking for an asphalt plane or puring a new apron before I do the coilovers.

M

·
0 Posts
I live pretty close to some nice and crazy roads that go through the foothills/mountains, and I have scraped mine at least twice during high speed driving.

In normal white man driving mode around town, I don't have any clearance problems.....

·
Registered
343 Posts
mistkerl said:
It's pretty much the reason I decided not to get the front spoiler lip thing from Japan, since I figured out I would destroy it really quickly.

I have the pinks and haven't scrapped the stock lip yet. I do have the black front lip on order and I'm starting to look at every dip in the road and every driveway with paranoia.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just got my front spoiler in yesterday(1/23/04) from Gruppe-S..gotta love their 2 day 'standard' shipping(well, I live in CA as well so I get parts from them quick!). My bro and I are putting the front lip on as well has the STi pink springs and STi Group N strut tops. I will post before and after pics, hopefully by the end of today.

-Matt

·
Registered
343 Posts
STiLLWILL said:
Just got my front spoiler in yesterday(1/23/04) from Gruppe-S..gotta love their 2 day 'standard' shipping(well, I live in CA as well so I get parts from them quick!). My bro and I are putting the front lip on as well has the STi pink springs and STi Group N strut tops. I will post before and after pics, hopefully by the end of today.

-Matt
Promises...promises... :)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bent valves

The spoiler panels are attached to the front panel with metal clips and small bolts. These are the weak link if you scrape hard. I scraped mine hard enough backing up to tear through the plastic at the clip. I drilled another hole and used a 3/16" machine bolt with fender washers to re-attach the spoiler. It's much stronger than stock now - more like if would be if the spoiler and front were cast as a single piece.

IMO it would have been better if they had designed a lip that ran across the entire front of the car. This would be much more resistant to scraping damage. It would also be nice to have integral color in that piece so the scrapes didn't show as clearly.

My car is silver and I'll probably be adding some blace accents = wheels, tint, possibly carbon hood. What I might eventually do is look for a black front lip (just a small piece) to unify the front end and protect from scrapes.

My CRX has a black lip (stock) that works great. I beefed it up with machine bolts. You would pretty much have to rip the entire front end off the car to damage it. Wheelstops and curbs are no problem. You have to be pretty careful with curbs when parking the stock STi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts