IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I should get to starting a journal since...well...all the cool kids are doing it!!

Nowhere near as interesting as some of the other build I have seen on here, but little by little I will make this car my own with some nice twists.

I can't describe how much I have grown to love this car over the past 7 months I have owned it. I knew I would enjoy it, but there's just something about these cars...

A little background for those who care! Had a 2009 cobalt coupe base that I bought while in University. Cheap, decent looking, fun. Well it wasn't long before I got to modifying that...did everything from a full sound system, full SS bodykit, and a full turbo kit as well. Car was fun, but eventually had some problems with clutch/master cylinder, and, well, I didn't even have A/C or anything in the car since it was such a base model. So I figured, it was time for an upgrade, as I had already graduated and been working for a year at my job as an Automation Engineer.

After some searching, and heavily debating a new WRX sedan, I luckily found this 2011, PBP STI, from Ontario originally, and only 32,500 km on it. Paint looked great, interior overall was pretty mint as well. No mods far as I could tell. Engine was so clean! Price was also pretty low, much lower than any of the other dealers I had checked. Plus the salesman was a friend of a friend so I knew there was no bull. I bought the car the same day. Here's pics from when I picked it up the week later;

Not much done to her yet, and will be a slow process but I'll get there eventually!

Parts List:

Exterior;
-Yellow DRL/high-beam bulbs (nokyan)
-Retrofitted S2000 AP2 projectors with XB35 35w 5000k and morimoto 3five ballasts
-Rally Armor mud flaps (black w/grey lettering)
-debadged trunk with exception of 'STI' logo.
-wrapped trunk trim in black vinyl (friend did it while I was gone to the store lol)
- Hella Supertones GOLD painted

Interior;
-Weathertech Digital Fit floor mats for winter
-Ingenious Gauges triple-pod moulded dash trim
-Redlinegoods shift boot and e-brake boot, leather and alcantara w/ red stitching

Audio;
-Pioneer x850bt head unit with custom-made 'Subaru STI' splash screen
-JBL P660c components in front, stock location
-JBL P662 in rear doors, stock location
-JBL W10GTI in sealed enclosure
-JBL GOT1004 amp for speakers
-Clarion DPX11551 amp for sub
- Kinetik HC1400 battery in place of OEM
-'Big three' wiring upgrade done

Engine/Drivetrain:
-Kartboy Short shifter and front/rear shifter bushings combo

Wheels/Tires:
-WINTER SETUP: OEM rims/tires (Falcon Eurowinter HS439 235/40/R18)
-SUMMER: Gold Enkei PF01 18x9.5 +45 (custom painted SP404 flake gold), Hankook Ventus V12 245/40

Suspension:
-Whiteline 24mm front and 24mm rear sway bars
-Kartboy endlinks all around

Future plans;
-Exhaust (corsa catback)
- stage 2 (protune) next summer

Now the first thing I had to do was get rid of the awful head unit. Had good experience with pioneer head units in my first car (civic) and liked the look of the new units, so picked up the pioneer x850BT;

I was happy with the new head unit, and stock speakers sounded better already. But as I am an audiophile, it wasn't good enough for my daily driving experience. I had a lot of gear left from the cobalt, carried some of it over. Full details on my sound system can be found here;
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-ice-security/260655-bboytaktixs-modest-sti-sedan-sq-sound-system-build.html

but here is a pic of finished product;

Now, in between this, since I am a huge fan of custom/retro headlights, I had to build another set for my STI. Took me a few tries since my original setup wasn't working for me (fx-r projectors too big for our housings) but found a sick deal on S2k projectors at subiefest so I had to buy them and install them! Very happy with the results! Also painted housings fully black, looks much more badass IMO. Here are some pics of the retrofit;

projectors/bulbs;

Mock-up stock halogen projector to mark OEM cutoff;

OEM crappy cutoff;

New cutoff with S2K projectors (bulb wasn't seated properly, cutoff less sharp than should be);

new projector mounted in stock housing for aiming

painted OEM covers flat black (were gloss black before with the chrome shroud ring);

finished product;

some pics of the cutoff (need better ones, these are so wide!!);

Eventually I would like to do a clear lens upgrade on the projectors to get even more light and sharper cutoff out of them.

Next, and most recent, was my 'winter mode' setup. Ordered winter tires, rally armor mudflaps (thanks to J.S. Auto design!) and Weathertech Digital Fit floor mats :D

And then got to installing the Rally armor mud flaps too (excuse my filthy subaru :p);

Well, so far that's all. Loving the car so far and hope to continue loving it for many years!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: Bboytaktix's 2011 STI sedan - Starting Small!

Don't get into too much trouble this winter with it;).

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its about time you started a journal. Looks like your off to a good start.

Your audio set up sounds pretty legit! :tup:
thanks man! audio sounds amazing! but even with big 3, at higher volumes the lights dim. No like haha. New battery will be purchased soon. kinetik KHC1800 to replace OEM poop.

Also, haven't rly done much sound deadening. Planning something legit to reduce the noise floor in the vehicle as well as prevent exterior noise. Basically a mix of sound dampening and MLV products (but not too much to weigh vehicle down) to try and cut the sound and get rid of any rattles. That will probably only be next summer or later though! exhaust first :D

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

"Subscribed"

Congrats on starting the Journal, Evan :D :beer:

As Nate stated... Bout' time son ! ;)

"Cough"

12V AGM Battery, Max Amps 2,600A, CA: 725, Ah: 44, 1500W / 3000W --> MSRP $349.99

D1200 | XS Power | Real Power, Unreal Performance

-----------------------------------

"Cough" "Cough"

Rockford Fosgate Caps and Power Products: stiffening(tm) capacitors, power inverters. Car Audio for Fanatics. - RFC1D - Rockford Fosgate®

Rockford Fosgate ® | Mobile Amplifiers: Prime, Punch & Power Car Amps

-------------------------------------

"Cough" "Cough" "Cough"

https://www.dcpowerinc.com

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/vafproducts/list/?year=2008&make=Subaru&model=Impreza+WRX+STI&engine=2.5L+H4+Turbo

No more headlight dimming / amp clipping / killing batteries / unwanted weak-sauce distortion

Tight SPLs and great longevity on amp lifespan :tup:

Clearly you've been bitten by the SPL bug :D

Just though I would share seeing you've done such a great DIY job so far in the audio department and you know what you are talking about

PS: Let me know if it's a little much, Evan... I'll gladly edit :tup:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

No more headlight dimming / amp clipping / killing batteries / unwanted weak-sauce distortion

Tight SPLs and great longevity on amp lifespan :tup:

Clearly you've been bitten by the SPL bug :D

Just though I would share seeing you've done such a great DIY job so far in the audio department and you know what you are talking about

thanks man! Reason I never started a journal earlier was mainly because, well, I had nothing done yet!! Wanted to get a little done (and a few decent pics) beforehand!!! Not that there is a lot done already!

I have been into car audio for a while! I have been a member over at stevemeadedesigns as well, learned a LOT from there as well as my past audio build in my previous cars! And although my sub can pound, my current build is less SPL-oriented and more a mix of SPL and SQ. Doesnt have to be enormous bass, just a hard hitting system that can get loud.

I already scoped out all the remaining stuff I need to finish the audio (batteries, sound deadening, potential alternators). Second skin makes some good sound deadening, as well as MLV products. I'll be using the 25% coverage of dampener on the metal (read 'sound deadening showdown') and making an MLV barrier in the doors and trunk floor (to start). That should lower my sound floor significantly to start. Also looked at alternators but they are pricey and a rep from DC told me that with 1200-1400RMS, a good battery + big three would suffice.

Right now, what is stopping me from doing any of that is MONEY :p Next thing I want to buy is an exhaust :D and then I will start slowly purchasing what I need to eliminate all dimming. System already sounds badass though and I don't generally crank it super high.

Working on paying off my bike early (by next spring) which will give me a little more money each month to play with :p some for saving, some for the STI :D

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

so...as some of you may know (cough Al!) from my facebook upload :p I got nailed heading up north to my dad's house to work on the car (mudflap install and oil change). Was not very cool...

Guy followed me for a little while, came beside me, looked at the car for a bit, then put his lights on and pulled me over. For what you ask? no, not speeding! He couldn't get me for that. Front window tints. Yeah. Even though they came from the dealer like this (previous owner must have done them). ALWAYS SOMETHING!!

So in addition to installing my mudflaps and changing my oil, I also removed my two front window tint. Then called a friend who had a good friend who does inspections in Qc. He can pass some things (IE exhaust, low suspension) but tints is hard so that's why I just removed them. Got inspected today, took 10 mins, I passed, and was on my way.

Oh well, the driver side tint had some very small chips in the tint anyway...guess I will re-tint them again soon, but lighter this time to avoid issues :p

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Here's a random shot from a few weeks ago after giving her a bath and wax. Love the colour when it's clean!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Oh well, the driver side tint had some very small chips in the tint anyway...guess I will re-tint them again soon, but lighter this time to avoid issues :p

Evan,

The following is purely personal opinion of course...

I find aftermarket paper tints to be lame and non-functional TBH ( Cause Racecar )

The more you see...the better pilot you are FTW

I get though that you are prob thinking of being stealth with the audio equipment and all

Kind of a grey area I guess

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Evan,

The following is purely personal opinion of course...

I find aftermarket paper tints to be lame and non-functional TBH ( Cause Racecar )

The more you see...the better pilot you are FTW

I get though that you are prob thinking of being stealth with the audio equipment and all

Kind of a grey area I guess
well yeah I definitely like the rear windows dark, so people can't see in (for various reasons ;P), but of course I am also careful where I park. I like the aesthetics as well. Plus, keeps a good amount of heat out in the summer with out black interiors.

But thanks for the positive thinking :D probably going to go really light in the front anyway, just so it matches a bit more the rear...I was driving in the sun today and realized how sucky it was not having tints with the sun shining at the corner of my eyes :p

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Here's a random shot from a few weeks ago after giving her a bath and wax. Love the colour when it's clean!!

Image Link

Very clean looking, Evan :cool: :tup:

I'm no better... didn't even notice on 2008+ Journals that you had figured it out :rolleyes: :lol:

Now for the MEMBER AVATAR ....... Make it good Sir ! ;)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Very clean looking, Evan :cool: :tup:

( I'll edit after the fact )

To have a pic as your Journal/avatar ( Is what I call it really... :rolleyes: )

- Edit your very first post ...once in edit-mod, look towards the bottom in "additional options and you will find "Attach file"

You can upload directly from your computer using files like : apm avi bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mpeg mpg pdf png psd txt wmv zip

I'll be keeping an eye to see if you figure it out :tup:
figured it out earlier, but thanks!! Actually dummy me didn't read the sticky post which explains how to do it!! fail on my part haha

·
Registered
806 Posts

so...as some of you may know (cough Al!) from my facebook upload :p I got nailed heading up north to my dad's house to work on the car (mudflap install and oil change). Was not very cool...

Image Link

Guy followed me for a little while, came beside me, looked at the car for a bit, then put his lights on and pulled me over. For what you ask? no, not speeding! He couldn't get me for that. Front window tints. Yeah. Even though they came from the dealer like this (previous owner must have done them). ALWAYS SOMETHING!!

So in addition to installing my mudflaps and changing my oil, I also removed my two front window tint. Then called a friend who had a good friend who does inspections in Qc. He can pass some things (IE exhaust, low suspension) but tints is hard so that's why I just removed them. Got inspected today, took 10 mins, I passed, and was on my way.

Not lucky bro.. Not lucky loll

I'm not legal aswell but I'm only 1 tint off the legal limit...

Legal is 70% light for the front windows and I'm at 50% (with 35% rear windows and 20% backglass)

:devil:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Not lucky bro.. Not lucky loll

I'm not legal aswell but I'm only 1 tint off the legal limit...

Legal is 70% light for the front windows and I'm at 50% (with 35% rear windows and 20% backglass)

:devil:
yeah I might do like you and go 50 in the front windows, the contrast is enough that you shouldnt get pulled over unless rly unlucky lol.

hey, since you are local we should meet up sometime. Subie_PB (salem) and I are always in touch and wanting to do little rides or meet-ups or whatever. Possible snow tracking too or wtv.

·
Registered
806 Posts

yeah I might do like you and go 50 in the front windows, the contrast is enough that you shouldnt get pulled over unless rly unlucky lol.

hey, since you are local we should meet up sometime. Subie_PB (salem) and I are always in touch and wanting to do little rides or meet-ups or whatever. Possible snow tracking too or wtv.
YAHH I'm down for it!

Send me your FB profile in PM (No homo)

:D

1 - 20 of 358 Posts