IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I’m Batty. Follow me on Instagram, @kevowilliams for plenty of hipster progress photos that will be up a bit sooner than here.

Current Mod List
Suspension:
BC Racing BR Series Coilovers 8k/6k
BC Racing camber plates front and rear
Whiteline 24(f) 22(r) Swaybars
Kartboy Endlinks
Whiteline Offset caster bushing
Whiteline Front control arm bushings
Whiteline Trailing arm bushings front & rear
Whiteline Lateral link bushings

Engine Mods:
Cobb AccessPort and ProTune by Robbie (Formerly at Epic)

Cobb turbo back
Cobb Intake and Box

Driveline:

TIC Race rear diff mount bushings
Kartboy rear differential cross member bushings
Group-N engine mounts
Group-N trans mount
STi pitchstop mount

Brakes:
DBR slotted rotors

Hawk HP+ pads
ATE Super blue

Wheels/Tires:
AME TM-02 18x11 +10
Street 295/30/18 Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

Race 285/30/18 BFG g-Force R1 S

Alignment:
Camber: -3.0 (f) -2.0 (r)
Toe: zero all around
Corner Weight/Balance

Interior/Random Bling:
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Big Crank light weight battery 12lbs

Corbeau 3 pt. harness (autox only)
Custom wrapped center console bling

Exterior:
Cone marks (Lots of them)

JNA front lip
Matte black hood/roof/trunk wrap
Karlton fender flares

Thirsty to see how I started with a stock STi and got to that? ^ In my build thread I will highlight where I started with my car and how we have progressed over my ownership. A lot of mods have already been done (obviously) so the first bit will bring you up to speed on how the car sits currently. There are some new things in the works so this could get exciting for some.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

I started with Subaru’s in 2003 when I bought a 2000 2.5 RS. I daily drove and autox’d that car until 2008 when some head gasket issues came up and a bad experience with a dealership left a sour taste in my mouth. Fed up I sold the car to a friend and bought a 2007 Lexus IS 250. Whaaa? After about 8 months with the Lexus I was itching for another Suby, preferably something turbo. I started searching the for sale threads and about a month later I found this car.

I purchased it from a NASIOC member in Sept. 2009, a 30th birthday present! (this guy’s old as balls) The following weekend I went out and autox’d it with Fuzion tires and all!

Once the Lexus sold the mods started. First thing was some tail light overlays to delete the “rice-tezza’s”. I got to be friends with the owner of the shop that did my overlays and even got him into autox. He co-drove for a season with me and then actually sponsored my car the following year! (more on that soon) Next came some coilovers to sort out the ride height. I autox a lot but my budget was small so I went with BC Racing BR series coilovers. Nothing too crazy but enough to get me around the course. Here it is just after the coils were installed.

More to come shortly!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hungry for more power I purchased a full Cobb turbo back exhaust and Accessport. At first I just ran the OTS stage 2 map which seemed adequate at the time. Along with the turbo back install I also installed some Whiteline sway bars and endlinks.

I didn’t particularly care for the wheels that came on the car. After a little searching around I jumped on the Rota Grid bus and bought some 18x8.5 Rota’s wrapped in 235/40/18 Falken Azenia’s. I was really enjoying the all black on black look. This held me over for the rest of the year. I competed in BSP on street tires because I did not have a STU tune yet. Race rubber wasn’t necessary that year however, I won BSP class in my region for that year. I also enjoyed the car on the street as well and drove it often even though it was not a dedicated daily driver.

The following season I got a bit more serious in autox and decided to get a Pro Tune and build a dedicated STU car. I picked up a used set of stock wheels and wrapped them in 245/40/17 Dunlop Star Spec’s. The 17’s seemed a bit more appropriate in this class and felt a bit more predictable than the 18’s. I started winning STU and top PAX regularly. I even took home a FTD at one event… on street tires! I think that’s when I set my sights on national competition. Winning locally is fun but you never know where you stack up until you go to a tour event.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eventually I got some winder wheels and a sponsor that partially wrapped the car. I ended up going to two national tour events which was awesome! (Photo credits are watermarked) Running nationally turned out to be a lot of fun but too expensive for me. There were a lot of things I wanted to do to the car but was not able to due to class restrictions. I grew tired of that and decided I would like to just have it look how I want it to and still autox for fun.

I got a trophy in Dixie and my name in Sports Car magazine!

That pretty much brings us up to the present. In the next week or so we will be starting a full color change wrap on the car. We are still waiting on some supplies but here are a couple teasers.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Looks nice man.. Love those fender flares, and it think that color is gonna look pretty sick.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great build thread! :tup:

I think I might have to follow in your foot steps and transfer from an STU car to super wide wheels with karlton flares in a few years. The car looks so damn good on the AME wheels with the flares.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Do it! Have your fun in STU and then enjoy the car and do what you want to it. It's so nice buying something for the car and not having to think... is that STU legal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting everything prepped for the wrap tomorrow. Car is clean and drying overnight. Here is where she will sleep for the night and then... a little teaser!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the progress from today. We had to take a lot more parts off than we first expected. All lights, wings, flares, mirrors, front bumper and scoop. That allowed us to fill in some seams and give it a more finished look. Here are a few progress shots and how we left it for the night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we had something come up Saturday and didn't get any work done. We got a few hours in today though. I only took lousy cell phone pictures. We will swing for the fence tomorrow and try to wrap it up... haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were talking about the tail lights tonight. I'll see how it looks out in the light and then make a decision but the preliminary consensus is they are too red. I am throwing around the idea of tinting or smoking them.

My buddy Joe, who is in most of the pictures is the one doing the majority of the work. He's awesome at wrapping cars for sure. I get stuck on cleaning duty but I have started wrapping the flares and fog covers! Easy flat-ish stuff :lol:

Anywho, here is a shot of some progress. Real paying jobs came up today so not too much work got done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We wheeled the car outside today to get a look at it in proper light. Not quite finished yet, we still have to wrap the hood and a few flares. Then we can put it back together and do a proper photo shoot! One more lousy camera phone shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazing color!!

I vote smoke tails, tinted windows and black (or maybe red) lugz.
Thanks! I think I will probably smoke the tails. My windows are tinted, just rolled down in the picture and my lugz are black already :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it was an exciting weekend. We finished everything up Thursday night and I put the car back together Friday after work. I drove it around all night Friday and then got it cleaned up for Cars & Coffee Saturday morning. After that I went out for a little photo shoot and here is how everything turned out... Enjoy, I love it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts