IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a battle, just an interesting read... Focus RS owners also have something to worry about :rofl:
The other issue I heard is the rear diff overheating on the RS

Why So Many Ford Focus RS Owners Are Freaking Out About Failing Head Gaskets

UPDATE

FORD is going to fix the Focus RS. The head gasket will be replaced and cylinder heads too if needed... and they includes a rental car.

Ford Finally Issued A Fix For The Failing Focus RS Head Gaskets
[url]https://jalopnik.com/ford-finally-issued-a-fix-for-the-failing-focus-rs-head-1822313028

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is why RS is being axed, it was a huge kluge from the get-go. Looked like a garage project...

I'm converting to flex-fuel when I can afford it, it's easier on the pistons... :)

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
that ford 2.3 was maxed out from the factory, and was sensitive to over heating components, its unfortunate Ford didnt remain loyal to the RS fans and keep this car in production and beef it up more. They threw a maxed out engine in it that required a lot of electronic intervention to keep it together when it got hot and consequently it ended up being a lot slower than it appeared to be on paper.

And my god the cackeling from some people on here who were saying this car would usher in a new era of performance and run circles stock around even a modded STI before it had even been tested, and the back and forth arguing about it, and now they are not even going to continue making them LOL.

Where's that dude that kept saying the ford dealerships were going to be full of STI trade ins???? too funny people. too funny.

STI wins again.

·
Registered
761 Posts
So how many head gaskets have gone compared to ringlands?

What has the owner done performance wise?

Is it the old "I modified/abused my car poorly and broke it" syndrome.

As for performance, the RS's I've seen lapping tracks at regulated events have been infront of the STI's.

And at this stage the RS is well ahead on points, as are the old EMO X, I won't mention the M4's as they are a class above.

Lets see how they go this weekend at Wakefield Park, 17, 18, 19th Nov, Shannons Nationals.

You can see the times on the day here > Live Timing – Shannons Nationals

·
Registered
761 Posts
Qualified 4, 0.05 behind M1, 0.5 behind RS and 1.6 behind M4 in Qual.

Wet and a bit windy

No head gaskets or ringlands have been harmed, so far........still about 120 laps to go.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cakie, who gives AF? I don't care which car is faster stock and few who know anything about cars do. Ultimately RS is going to be hobbled by it's RDU because it's sized to be barely adequate for it's stock power levels and it overheats. Regardless of it's stock performance it's still a huge kludge of a car which is probably why '18 is it's last year.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cakie, who gives AF? I don't care which car is faster stock and few who know anything about cars do. Ultimately RS is going to be hobbled by it's RDU because it's sized to be barely adequate for it's stock power levels and it overheats. Regardless of it's stock performance it's still a huge kludge of a car which is probably why '18 is it's last year.
People who buy performance cars care, win on Sunday sell on Monday, people don't get excited about a car that losses.

When I needed a new car no new EMO X were available sadly, I wanted one because they were winning everything, next available performance 4 door was the STI, nothing recent in the motorsport world to back it up but for 50kAU it was better than everything else in that price range.

As for the RS, every generation gets a short run of RS models, nothing new there.

It seems this "huge kludge" of a car isn't that bad as it has consistently betten the STI throughout the year and has finished well ahead in the championships.

If they are selling them new in a year or two they may be on my new car hit list, it has everything I like about my STI, some performance, 4 doors, and a decent price, plus the RS is faster around the track.

Well faster around the track this season with the current models anyway.

I am looking forward to the season next year.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
the heat soak and head gasket/head warping issue was known before the RS went out for deliveries to dealerships

the RS simply didnt live up to the hype and the expected performance on paper when it was put to the test in shootouts, STI is still the overall winner here

·
Registered
761 Posts
the heat soak and head gasket/head warping issue was known before the RS went out for deliveries to dealerships

the RS simply didnt live up to the hype and the expected performance on paper when it was put to the test in shootouts, STI is still the overall winner here
If by winner you mean the STI gets consistently beaten in races and has more DNF's than the RS then yes, it's "a winner".

Are you still basing your "evidence" on things you google, or do you get out to motorsport events and base your views on hard facts.

Shootouts, LOL.

You keep telling me your opinion of how the STI is better in everyway, which is fine, it's your opinion, me, I keep giving you hard evidence to the contrary.

If you want to prove your opinion has merit, base it with hard fact, not what you read on the internet.

Please supply simular evidence as I have IRT the performance and reliablity of both platforms when side by side.

The race was 300 km or 186 miles, to me that's a good judge of reliability.

I honestly cannot see that happening though, I believe even with the evidence and hard facts right in front of you, you would he looking at it with both eyes closed.

I am happy to he proven wrong, or if the STI is performing better in a championship series where you live.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
If by winner you mean the STI gets consistently beaten in races and has more DNF's than the RS then yes, it's "a winner".

Are you still basing your "evidence" on things you google, or do you get out to motorsport events and base your views on hard facts.

Shootouts, LOL.

You keep telling me your opinion of how the STI is better in everyway, which is fine, it's your opinion, me, I keep giving you hard evidence to the contrary.

If you want to prove your opinion has merit, base it with hard fact, not what you read on the internet.

Please supply simular evidence as I have IRT the performance and reliablity of both platforms when side by side.

The race was 300 km or 186 miles, to me that's a good judge of reliability.

I honestly cannot see that happening though, I believe even with the evidence and hard facts right in front of you, you would he looking at it with both eyes closed.
I am happy to he proven wrong, or if the STI is performing better in a championship series where you live.
again, I have prefaced everything I said about the RS by saying the STI beats it in some but not all metrics of performance, so your strain to keep posting results of one class of racing where it isnt comming in first really is already a known stat. I already told you that the STI does not come in first in every race LOL. The focus RS is only equal in some metrics, SLOWER in some metrics, and "better" in a few. At the end of the day it didnt put anywhere NEAR the performance gap on the 300 horsepower 14 year running drivetrain of the STI, and people who care about high performance cars and know the difference between what the RS was supposed to do as it looked on paper and how it actually stacked up

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
We care about paper cars? Uh no.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
We care about paper cars? Uh no.
no and that's exactly my point; although some on here were cackeling like a heard of wild turkeys when it was announced that the RS was going to have 350 horsepower, and they were saying how it would run circles around the STI even a modded and tuned stage 2 STI. Again this was when it was all still on paper....so ya, a good amount of people on here were really going by that before the car was even tested in shootouts against the STI. When the shootouts started rolling out it became clear that the RS was not faster than the STI from 0-60, 0-100 or the 1/4 mile even with the STI's 50 horsepower deficit. The RS handled better, but it was tested typically with the pilot sport cup 2 tires(which is basically a super/hyper car tire and gave it an artificial advantage), and this is where it is able to beat the STI. Everything else is basically a wash.

A modded and tuned stage 2 STI crushes the RS, and yes, of course there are mods available for it as well, but most assumed that the RS wouldnt need them to beat a properly set up stage 2 STI, most were saying it would run circles around such a set up STI with a completely stock RS, and that turned out to be completely wrong.

There were reports of the RS's that were given to the automotive media in europe before it shipped to the U.S of the engines going into limp mode from overheating as well as the rear "diff" overheating, and that the deliveries to the U.S were delayed because they had to reprogram the ECU's to limit the power output more substantially than what they had originally programmed, such that they arent making the advertised 350 horsepower during aggressive driving. That seems to be verified in the numbers the car put down in countless measure performance tests when it came here. When the RS is tuned it gets that back, but now you are modding just to get what the advertised performance and essentially horsepower of the car was hyped to be right out of the box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait is ford cancelling production for the focus RS indefinitely or are they halting production to work out the issues? Too bad either way, it seemed like a cool car.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I think it was ultimately going to be limited production from the outset, they were saying that they were going to see how the market unfolded while it was being sold to determine if there was enough demand to continue production into the upcoming years, but the fact that they announced 2018 as the last year indicates there isn't demand. Subaru stopped making the hatchback STI in 2014 because they said the hatchback STI had the lowest sales out of any U.S model year STI since the came here.

Ford should put the RS engine in the Mustang

1 - 16 of 16 Posts