IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I cannot get this stereo/radio to sound worth a poop at mid volume (19-21) without turning the base to almost -7 and adding a lot of treble mid. At 75 mph you have to turn it up to even hear it (road noise/engine). WTF? Any help on equalizer appreciated. Does upgrading to kicker speakers help this? Thanks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just couldn’t give into the crappy sound system. I updated the headunit to Seicane Android unit and added Sony 3-way up front, Boss tweeters (w/bracket), and 2-way Infinitys in the back with sound dampening material. I decided not to add a subwoofer for weight and to enjoy the sound of the DP, exhaust and BOV. My speakers and brackets ended up costing around what the Kicker kit would cost. The sound system is now so much better. I’ve heard good things about Kicker, really up to you if you want a drop in unit or to search for fabrication brackets when you research and buy. I preferred the latter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just couldn’t give into the crappy sound system. I updated the headunit to Seicane Android unit and added Sony 3-way up front, Boss tweeters (w/bracket), and 2-way Infinitys in the back with sound dampening material. I decided not to add a subwoofer for weight and to enjoy the sound of the DP, exhaust and BOV. My speakers and brackets ended up costing around what the Kicker kit would cost. The sound system is now so much better. I’ve heard good things about Kicker, really up to you if you want a drop in unit or to search for fabrication brackets when you research and buy. I preferred the latter.
Thanks for reply. I would prefer doing the minimum possible and not changing out any head units. Would a decent quality amp help out the stockers??

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would help putting an amp. as when I upgraded headunit with more power it did sound better than what it was. But these stock speakers are trash. Once you pull them out and see the size the magnets and build quality, you’ll clearly be able to see that. The Android auto upgrade although not perfect is an upgrade I see as a value-add compared to other mods that would decrease value. It seriously looks like it came from factory that way and the huge screen display with Waze and other apps is pretty cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kickers are direct plug and play. That amp should do the trick for loudness. My objective was to get rich sound so decided to change everything out. I know for cars like these music isn’t typically what folks look for but coming from Bose, Mark Levinson, Harmon Kardon, and alike it was unacceptable for my standard.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I always thought the audio comments were exaggerated..
Now that I own the car, I find that the comments are under exaggerated. A new iphone is better than the stock stero system lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I typically drive by myself with no stereo on. When taking family out to dinner 30 miles away and wife complains she cannot hear the singer over 80 mph road noise it was kinda embarrassing. Jacking with the equalizer helped, but again WTF…? lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah the stock sound system is probably the worst I've ever heard in my life. Even listening to a Podcast is impossible. If you're looking to go the cheapest and easiest route I would go with and amp and the kicker speakers. It is next on my list of things to do. The stock head unit is supposedly awful and grossly underpowered for even the stock speakers.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I was very upset at the base stereo in my 19' STI (Base) reminded me of my 2014 Corolla lol.. My 21' STI (Limited) has the upgraded Harman Kardan including amplifier. I have had the car for a week now & the sound system is much better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the stock sound system is probably the worst I've ever heard in my life. Even listening to a Podcast is impossible. If you're looking to go the cheapest and easiest route I would go with and amp and the kicker speakers. It is next on my list of things to do. The stock head unit is supposedly awful and grossly underpowered for even the stock speakers.
Yeah I would rather put that money towards a flex fuel system honestly. I may just start with an amp first and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll make a video for you and others on my youtube cause I wanted to discuss this anyways since I upgraded the Kicker Tweeters & Speakers.
I'll share how I did my settings and stuff....it's better than stock, but not anything to impress anyone with haha.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll make a video for you and others on my youtube cause I wanted to discuss this anyways since I upgraded the Kicker Tweeters & Speakers.
I'll share how I did my settings and stuff....it's better than stock, but not anything to impress anyone with haha.

Even with better speakers without a better head unit or an amp it won't be anything to write home about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So for those still interested,

These are my thoughts on the OEM Kicker Speakers & Tweeters as well as suggesting the best settings to start out with. Of course than you can adjust further to your liking, but it's a great starting place.

Also, I highly suggest to use a CD for best results. Yes I know, outdated in the minds of most North Americans, but listening through Bluetooth/phone will lower the quality.

Also, AVOID the USB playback function on 2015-2018 models like the plague! The USB is under-powered and DRASTICALLY lower the audio quality.
For 2019+ models, I believe they fixed this issue by offering a 2.0 USB, which if that is the case, the quality should be nearly as good(or identical) as listening using the CD Player.

~ Also be sure to sign up to my pateron, buy my t-shirts, and hit that DONATE button to make sure I'm still able to buy more stuff while you stay poor wearing my merch ^__~

·
Registered
43 Posts
So for those still interested,

These are my thoughts on the OEM Kicker Speakers & Tweeters as well as suggesting the best settings to start out with. Of course than you can adjust further to your liking, but it's a great starting place.

Also, I highly suggest to use a CD for best results. Yes I know, outdated in the minds of most North Americans, but listening through Bluetooth/phone will lower the quality.

Also, AVOID the USB playback function on 2015-2018 models like the plague! The USB is under-powered and DRASTICALLY lower the audio quality.
For 2019+ models, I believe they fixed this issue by offering a 2.0 USB, which if that is the case, the quality should be nearly as good(or identical) as listening using the CD Player.

~ Also be sure to sign up to my pateron, buy my t-shirts, and hit that DONATE button to make sure I'm still able to buy more stuff while you stay poor wearing my merch ^__~

Is this with the base stereo? The first thing that should be done is a new stereo or adding an amp. Just replacing speakers is useless

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's a shame, since so many cars these days come with really good stereos.
It is. And we're not even asking for much... It's almost nauseating getting into the sti after I drive the wife's MDX with ELS

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this with the base stereo? The first thing that should be done is a new stereo or adding an amp. Just replacing speakers is useless
Yeah, base stereo haha.
I kind of mention it in the video, but I personally don't like changing the head unit because I like to keep my interiors OEM.
Not really interested in spending more money on this though. The only other thing I considered was the kicker sub with amp, but heard the bass is very overpowering and in your face.
But yeah, lots needs to be done to make it sound good in our cars sadly.
Whenever I drive my Honda Accord I'm just thinking "why can't i just copy and paste this setup in the sti" haha :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts