IW STi Forum banner

141 - 160 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Ordered everything I need...I love waiting for packages! I will be holding off on the Killer B parts until the headlight is sold though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **nice weather, 'bout time!**

Ordered everything I need...I love waiting for packages! I will be holding off on the Killer B parts until the headlight is sold though.
Haha! Liar. Nobody likes waiting.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

Only in Nebraska... they have nothing else to do anyway!

;)
Haha, pretty much. We don't have a lot here. I should've said I like expecting packages!

Got everything ready to go! Just gotta pick a date to coordinate to do this! yamahaSHO has KINDLY offered his help here! I have read all the threads concerned with removing the Brembos; fingers are crossed. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. I may just go get some PB Blaster from Home Depot or something and drench it for a couple days prior, although everything looks pretty clean under there. No rust!

But who knows, they may be seized up in there pretty good. I've seen some other threads mention that the torque specs on those bolts should be 82-85 ft. lbs, but that they may have come out of the factory at something like ~114 ft. lbs?!?! Or maybe that's what people had to apply to break their seized bolts due to weathering? Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)

Update for anyone following...No pics though, sorry! Will have some soon!

So yesterday, was a busy day even though there wasn't a whole lot of parts going on. Rolled over the big 30k(sniff sniff:(), aaaaannnd forgot my camera to take any pics of the process, woops! Long story and conversations short, it all went pretty good, we just like to take our time. Much was learned on my part. It was invaluable to work with someone so knowledgeable.

With top-notch help from yamahaSHO, the DBA rotors, Cosworth pads, and AMS lines and Wix oil filter were installed. We changed oil, trans, diff, and brake fluid as well. Coolant flush will be done sometime next week.

I am not sure if PB Blaster is to thank completely for this, but there wasn't one seized caliper bolt! That was what I was most concerned about. While putting everything back together, some anti-seize was applied to stave off corrosion and seizing too. Everything was torqued by hand for the most part. Took off the front dust covers too.

On the way to his place though, I randomly threw an evap code(forgot to get the number) that brought on the CEL and blinking cruise control. That was cleared. I was told it could be the gas cap, lines, or charcoal canister. I will have to go back to that later.

On the way home, things felt smooth all around. Shifting was always pretty effortless before, but it was a little easier this time, didn't feel notchy(is that a word?!) at all. The engine sounded and felt a bit smoother and a little quiter at idle too(not sure if you can really quantify that, haha!). Things stayed at normal temp, brakes felt smooth and they were a lot quieter too; no more dull drone when coming to a stop. I'll have to keep an eye on dusting to see if the reviews are true about low dust. They still need to be bedded in though, as I didn't want to do that process with all the leftover parts unsecured and sliding around in my car. Will do that soon. As far as I can tell, no leaks anywhere, which is what to shoot for!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

On the way to his place though, I randomly threw an evap code(forgot to get the number) that brought on the CEL and blinking cruise control. That was cleared. I was told it could be the gas cap, lines, or charcoal canister. I will have to go back to that later.
You know where to go to if you want pointers on how to get rid of that system, don't you ? ;)

I don't recommend it for a DD though... slight fuel smell, inspections, that stuff... You'd also need to get the CEL codes disabled (there's 4 constant ones, plus a 5th that comes out over time).

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #148

You know where to go to if you want pointers on how to get rid of that system, don't you ? ;)

I don't recommend it for a DD though... slight fuel smell, inspections, that stuff... You'd also need to get the CEL codes disabled (there's 4 constant ones, plus a 5th that comes out over time).
Something tells me you're referring to your journal.....ha!

Since it's not my DD, I guess I'm good there. I'm not sure what the NE DMV policy is on inspections and smog testing. Of all the cars I've owned/relicensed, I've only ever had them inspect upon registering it for the first time. I'm sure they do it if someone is ticketed for loud or old, shoddy exhaust in secondary offense or something. I did get the code cleared though.

Bed those brakes in yet? I'm curious to hear how you like them.

As far as dust, you're going to lose that battle with slotted rotors. Your best bet is: RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!. Glad you're happy with the outcome.
Hey! No, I didn't have time yesterday to do it, but I'm shooting for sometime after work today or tomorrow. There's a decent amount of road by my place that should be good. I'm sure they will feel great, and even better once I get the new(to me!) rubber on next week.

I remember you were talking a lot about RejeX, thanks for the link, I'll have to get some. I'm very happy with the outcome!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - slow progress **lookin' subtle and aggressive**

Alright, I'm pleased to show everyone who's following, how its sits as of today. The SSR Type C RS wheels look so great on this color combo. I can't believe I was looking at other wheels before even getting these on. I know it's not a major change, but it's significant enough for me; I have eyes for detail, and as I'm sure you can tell I'm not one for flashiness; it's all about the subdued and slight aggressiveness for me. Alright, time to let the pics do the talking:

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Nice......BoD

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #153

Let me know how you like it! Should be pretty effective with two filters for sure.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #154

Wow, so it's been a long time since I've updated this....time just got away from me. I know this isn't the most exciting journal ever...

Anyway, summer is almost over and I really haven't gotten out much in the last month with the car, just kind of slowing down for the season; I know, sad. I have some things coming up soon financially, so I kind of have to slow it down on parts for now, but I will update when I get anything new. So for this year, not looking at making any major purchases. Next year will be a different story since I will be done with classes by then and that will give me more money in my pocket. I will be taking some photos so I can submit them for next year's calendar, so if anyone has any ideas or requests, let me know! Maybe I'll get some put together and get a vote going for the top three!

Thanks for following!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **sleeping, on the long road to spring**

Well everyone who's been "following"(because there's hardly any updates on my front), it seems as though it's that time of year again, the cool fall breeze, leaves changing color, trees turning into giant twigs......aaaaaannnnd the car is set aside in storage. I'm already having withdrawals! :(

Looking back on 2013, it was a mildly eventful year for the car and saw some notable changes. Nothing incredibly major, just some maintenance(thanks again Jaz!) and some small visual changes. I learned a great deal more about the car too, which is always good. The local car shows were interesting to be a part of. My school career is wrapping up shortly here(finally), so I'll have some more funds to play with. The trip to Ireland this next week didn't help either!

I will be ordering the Blitz Touring CBE system shortly, and then slowly getting parts over the winter in preparation for my goals for next year. So looking forward to next year, I plan on tackling that with a full exhaust, EWG'd, fuel system upgrades, most likely E85, and a tune of course, as well as coilovers and other suspension bits. I will still be posting here naturally, when there are updates and advice is sought after.

So, for now, I'll leave you with some of the photos I took for the calendar(hopefully I get on there again!):

See you, Subie cowboy....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #156

Finally have a power mod update:

I ordered my Blitz exhaust!! Yay! She's gonna be a beaut!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)

So I got the exhaust a week ago and recently checked everything over. The box was quite torn up unfortunately, however I don't think it was from shipping, I just think whoever drop shipped it was sitting on this for a while. Also the two hanger mounts on the muffler are bent. :(

I emailed Cygnus Performance(this isn't their fault btw!) to see what they can do for me as far as a return for a better one. This is kind of a bummer since I just got this and haven't even used it. Oh, and let's not forget it wasn't cheap either. I'm a name-brand fiend.

Here are some pics:

Let me just say that the welds are pretty nice, especially the machined ones. The finish is superb and you can tell there is quality all around. I'm just disappointed that mine isn't perfect. Obviously I can't post a review 'til next season of sound and fit, but you get the idea. Everything feels really solid in these pieces.

Below is the flange that meets up to the DP. Contrary to what others are saying, this is not a 2.5" taper, but instead it is 2.8". I originally was going to have a local shop cut this part out and replace it with a SS 3" portion.
I have since changed my mind as a) I don't believe there will be any noticeable restriction in .2" difference of diameter and b) I just don't want to hack up this gorgeous piece!

Onto the business end:

The last three pics show the bent hanger mounts, and the middle one shows the angle of distortion, as the pic was taken directly above the muffler.

There's a physical dent in the muffler at each weld spot from bending inward. Not cool.

People could say "Well why don't you just hammer it back into place?!" Well, I don't want to break the welds or anything. "Then just apply heat to it!!" I don't want to ruin the finish.

The mounts are supposed to be parallel to the ground by the way...woops!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)

Again, it's been a while since I've been in here, but an update on the exhaust trouble:

After a long email conversation with Geoff @ Cygnus, it looks like I will be getting a replacement directly from Japan which may take up to two months to get to me since I was told I was the only one in the country with a brand new Spec Touring on his hands. Pretty cool, I think! That just makes it more "special" for my case! I'm not worried at all about the delivery time since the car is in storage. FedEx came to reclaim it this past Thursday, so now we play the waiting game.

I will say I am a bit concerned about the replacement though, seeing as how there was basically no damage protection packaging in the box I got. I hope and have faith that Blitz Japan actually packs their exhausts with better care, so I'm chalking this up to the distributor/FedEx for the lack of decent packaging/courier damage. I could tell that the distributor had been sitting on this piece for a while and that they probably threw out some of the original packing contents long ago. Anyone out there with a Blitz system that can chime in on this? How was yours delivered? 06STi_Gary, any details?

Again, Geoff @ Cygnus has been nothing but a great help and it's nice to know he treats his customers this way. I can say I will go back to him in the future!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #159

So a small update:

Got some Impreza-themed stuff for the holidays from the family:

First up a white text on black shirt that has the STi logo on it and reads: "Yes it is fast, No you can't drive it", which I thought was pretty funny, because everyone around here knows I'm pretty protective of it.

Next,(and I think this is pretty cool) is a book of all the articles that AutoCar magazine has written on the Impreza from '94 on up to a few years ago. Some pics below(and of course I had to flip to my favorite section since I'm so biased!):

Pretty neat, eh?

And last but not least, the girlfriend who swore she'd never do it, got me some car parts! I was shocked to say the least! She got me a fitting kit for the Cobb EBCS I'm ordering soon and a KillerB oil baffle. Nothing big, but it's a start right? Now I just need the KB pickup tube! Thanks again, love!

Lately, I've just been planning what to go with for the "build" and mulling it all over in my head. No updates on the CBE though yet.

Happy Holidays, IW!

141 - 160 of 991 Posts