IW STi Forum banner

921 - 940 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #921
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Someone went to the shoe store...**

I ordered all the bits I think I need and most of it has shown up already. Will hopefully find some time to assemble/plumb it all.

Didn't go with PTFE-lined hose since only one style of Earl's fittings can be used with it so I opted for their Pro-Lite Ultra 350 which is reinforced and rated to 500psi.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #922

So it's been a few weeks....

I have the FPR installed and plumbed to the fuel system, so I will leak-test tonight or tomorrow after I get the rest of the hardwiring done tonight. I ended up getting the iWire Services hardwire kit. Seems to be quality parts and worksmanship. The way they have the kit currently though, is not technically providing the benefit of true hardwiring at 100% operation, but providing more power to the pump while still using the FPC DCs. The previous version of the kit did bypass for 100% pump operation.

The modified lower mounts from Fortune Auto are still being made so no changes there, but will test-fit a wheel and tire when they arrive and get fitted. Aaron, I'll likely be keeping these coilovers since I should have more clearance, since I'm pretty sure you were waiting on me.

On to the big news though....the car will(finally!) hit the local dyno this Friday as Jason is coming out to tune some other customer cars, so it'll be a big dyno day. Will post more updates and some stuff from that day soon.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #923

Last night finally was able to leak-test. Glad to report that all is well and should be ready for tomorrow, no leaks! Once I got near a nominal base pressure, the car actually idled a lot better, which is one of the things I was hoping for. There's still a slight RPM dip but it's not as drastic as it was before, likely can be addressed tomorrow. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #925

Indeed, that is the dyno session I'm referring to.

·
Registered
954 Posts

oh i didn't see the response earlier. Have fun, i wish I could have made it but work.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts

8 cars in 8 hours! Then we did the roll race event. Gavin made good power for a stock turbo on gasoline, and on a Mustang Dyno. I didn't take a picture of the graph as I was busy, but I'll let him post it anyway.

We did have a 20G XT WRX (stock motor with head studs) hit 422whp, which excites me for a heartbreaker dyno.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #928 (Edited)

What a day that was! The weekend was a blur it seems; very busy and a lot going on, so I didn't get time to post 'til today.

Considering the conditions, variables, and the tough dyno, not just mine, but everyone's cars did great and no one broke anything! It was great to finally unleash the car(and hear it rev over 4k!) and the EWG sounds better now that the MBC and EBC are working together.

I was both nervous and excited as the car was getting strapped in, but after the first couple pulls, I was more calm. Jason said that even just the first pull, AFRs were right on the money and the car felt good. Both the guys at SDR said that the car was doing well and pulled nicely and that mine wasn't getting heat-soak as bad as the other cars. My car took the longest since he didn't have any data other than break-in data, but it felt like my part of the day still went quick. At the end, we managed 300whp and 290wtq @ 20spi on an upgraded VF39/pump 93 and that was a tough dyno without the same airflow on the street, so we're thinking ~330-340whp is what it really is, and that's before E85. The better compressor wheel that PRE Tuning installed does make a difference, but the tune is where it all comes together.

After that, most of the group went over to RPM for some roll races. I did 4 rolls from 30mph and the car was great, even with shortshifting...it's fast. Then had some light fun through corners on the cooldown lap. With coilovers at only 6 clicks from full soft(forgot to try adjusting them), 22mm swaybars F/R, and super-old RE-01Rs, the car feels pretty flat and planted at probably 3-4/10ths speed; but I can't wait to go faster.

I got to ride in the SDR Charger Hellcat for a couple rolls. 1100whp?....yeah, it's insane. And he's planning on putting more power down.

There's plenty left to throw at the car, since this is a built motor and all. But as it sits, the car is a lot of fun already. There's some slight knock at a few spots under cruise, but the knock sensor may be too sensitive; there hasn't been knock under boost at all. Idle is better, but then we also adjusted idle on the AP for now, until the map can be tweaked a bit more. I will post videos and some graphs/data when I get them from others, so it's just pics for now.

It's incredibly rewarding to finally put the hard work, time, and resources spent on the STi to the test and have it pass successfully. I feel really good right now and it's a lot of worry off my chest.

Special thanks to Jason for his tuning, time, and expertise shared, to the guys at SDR Performance for the dyno time, knowledge, the facility, and the hard work of getting our group done on a hot day, and of course to IAG Performance for all the work done on my longblock.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts

Yes, the weekend was a blur... Lots of fun though. I'd like to work something like this day again, but maybe not as many people in one shot so I can have more time per car. I do believe I gained a customer after Paul ran his car for a baseline on the tune he's been running from the previous owner and one of my cars did about 100 ft-lbs more torque on basically the same setup, except my car was still on the tiny stock GR WRX intercooler. :)

Here's a video of your last pull and a log of boost with that PRE upgraded VF39.

Yes, the car did well from the first pull.... It's like I have done a map or two in the past. :) I had a lot of fun hanging out with all of you guys this weekend. I wish I could have chatted more at the dyno, but I kept engaged in the cars and setup.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

"RE-01r" Get rid of them. See my Mid Ohio experience last year, lol.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Dyno day was a success!**

Well as usual, life gets in the way, so I haven't posted 'til now...but thanks Kyle! It sure feels awesome to get to a better point with this car. Hopefully things keep looking up!

Thanks Jason! Those numbers look good. We'll see ya whenever you make it out this month.

On the car front, haven't been able to drive for a while sadly, because it's been raining a shit ton and additionally, I've got the car off the ground getting these RAYS to fit. Made some progress though, see below. I'm waiting to hear back from Fortune regarding some things, so can't really progress 'til then. Bought one RE-71R tire to test-fit, remaining 3 are showing up today and will get those mounted ASAP. Trying to get this all done before Jason gets out here so we can do some road tuning. Will be good to be on fresh tires.

New mount test-fitting. You can see the welded washers there.

This is how far it sticks out with the bolt all the way outboard in the wider slots, before we adjusted the camber plate. I need to replace the pillowball mount on this corner anyways since some of the holes for the 4 camber locking bolts wouldn't accept the bolts - out of the box. Fortune sent me two replacements fo' free. The way it's sitting now, we are almost completely tucked under the arch. Once I install a new pillowball, I'll be able to get a bit more negative camber

Wheel to locking collar clearance with adjustment all the way outboard, again before camber plate adjustment.

I think I'll be able to get these to fit at current ride height and without rolling the rears; fingers crossed. I'll be getting another alignment after this is all fitted of course. Shit's gonna look good son.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #936

Sent out my original lower mounts to Fortune(again) to get slotted, less than before though. Will be down for another week or two sadly.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #937

Will be getting the mounts back sometime this week, then will be fitting the CE28Ns on hopefully this weekend, as well as an alignment.

Sent an email to Evasive saying that I'm wanting to buy a Kansai diffuser, so early Christmas gift to me, yay.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #938

Also forgot to mention that for the past several nights I've been staying up late like an idiot and researching buying an R34. I have no idea how I'm gonna even attempt to even get the ball rolling, but I need to do something in the next couple years before prices get out of control; they're already on the rise. I may have to ditch the STi and/or the Focus ST and start squirreling away money. A nice example can be had for $60k+.

I have a friend with some family up in Canada with some possible garage space so the plan would be to import it up there and keep it there until I can bring it down here.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts

whoa there big fella. haha

that does sound really cool though! Honestly, I would think, the second the R34 is legal here, people are going to be importing them left and right. If you can swing it, doing it now is a great idea...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #940 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **New wheels fitted!**

Been putting off posting for a while. Got the wheels fitted and an alignment done. -2.0* up front. On the rear mounts he ended up slotting out to 3.5mm over stock even though I asked for 2mm so, kinda annoyed by that and I guess it's another thing I should've done myself, since I guess I could've used a Dremel and measured the material to remove. I wanted the bolts to rest against the outside of the slot instead of being held in the middle of the slot, which is what they are now. But for eyeballing the bolt/slot placement and setting the camber plates via eyeball as well, we were dead on -1.7* on both rear corners and they didn't require any camber adjustment.

That's as far as we can go in the rear since the inboard pair of the pillowball locking bolts at the camber plate are as close as comfortable to the strut tower ring. There are 6 pairs in total on the pillowball mounts on either side of the camber plate, which allows for a lot of adjustment but currently I'm using the very outboard pair and then the 4th pair inboard, so there's two pairs of holes' worth of spacing and I'm not sure how far you can deviate from that and still retain even clamping load across the camber plate relative to the strut top. If I could move the inboard pair more outboard to, say, the next pair of holes outboard, I could push the strut tops a bit more for a bit more negative camber. Before and after the alignment, I didn't detect any rear rub at all but we'll see what happens when I drive more next season with some hard cornering.

I was surprised that these RAYS have much better inner barrel -> caliper and spoke -> caliper clearance than the SSRs that were on before, but then these wheels go on road/race cars with much bigger brake packages than mine. The wheel weights were excruciatingly close to the calipers and with where they were mounted with those particular tires, I was always somewhat concerned that they would somehow loosen or something and take a chunk out of my front calipers. Not so with these wheels.

Here's some pics. Garage pics before alignment:

Post-alignment, not completely flat driveway:

The difference should be subtle because a 255/40 is a smidge taller than a 245/40, but the car seems noticeably taller in the front...oh well.

Went to start the car the other night and run it for a few minutes to run the StaBil through the fuel lines and part way through, noticed that my fucking oil pressure gauge was reading zero! The gauge was working fine just the previous time I drove it. But the OEM light never triggered and the motor sounded fine, no sounds like you would hear if it wasn't getting oil or starving. So after I let it cool down a bit, went out to the garage later and cranked it while cutting fuel and ignition, and it was slowly building pressure while cranking. So it's not the sender, but it was suggested maybe there's an issue with the wiring, even though I know I did it properly. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it was just too cold? But that still doesn't make the most sense; I ran the car 'til it warmed up, so it should've been moving oil around. I really hope this is just a simple thing and that it's fine next season.

'til later.

921 - 940 of 991 Posts