IW STi Forum banner

881 - 900 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Lives again, waiting for new shoes**

Brought the car home on Sunday. Was nervous going over there to get it, as I was worried I'd see some spots on the cardboard I laid underneath. Happy to report it was completely clean! Primed it, and it started right up with good pressure. Warmed up, then went for a ~20 mile drive to get a feel for it again. Compared to the ST, it's crazy how short the throw is and how heavy the steering is. Also the positioning of the gear shift is so much lower in the STi than the Focus; feels like I'm reaching down to the floorpan to shift. :D Had to get some planks for the end of the driveway though, since who knows when the street is getting repaired.

Was too exhausted Sunday night after having some people over for Westworld, so I didn't get down to change the oil while it was hot :(. I drained it last night though, and there were a lot less metal flecks in the oil sample and on the magplug, so hopefully that means things are wearing in nicely. Gonna send a sample out of course. :)

I also took a peek at the rear strut clearance aaaaaaannnd it looks like it's gonna be fucking close. There's just about 1/4" from the wheel lip to the locking collar, so at this point I'm not sure how well this is gonna go with the Volks. It'll be roughly a 3mm gap when mounted and with a wider shoulder on the RE-71R(I hear they are wide for a 255), I'm not entirely confident I'll have enough room to account for tire flex. Not gonna know until those damn wheels arrive though. Clearance isn't an issue up front though and the only thing I can think of right now is running spacers, which I very much want to avoid if at all possible. Looking at other coilovers, these 510s don't seem to be discernibly different from any other strut/locking collar. Raising the rear would move the collar out of the way but it would have to come up another 1/4" at the very least, and it's already high enough; the threaded strut bodies are already quite high in their total adjustment since the default settings from Fortune were way too low. I really hope I can run these wheels damnit.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

I’m sure it’s in here, but do you have rear camber plates and camber bolts? To get as much clearance as possible out back with my JRZ’s, I use the camber bolts to push the strut away from the wheel and then get the negative camber back using the plates.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #887

Yes, I have plates on all corners, but just the stock eccentric bolts on the front. I didn't even think of that for some reason...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Yes, I have plates on all corners, but just the stock eccentric bolts on the front. I didn't even think of that for some reason...
While camber bolts can be a pain in the ass, they’re definitely the way to go if you need more inboard clearance. Especially if you’re already close to rubbing the fender.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #889

Although I am kind of concerned about the idea of running camber bolts; I don't really like that they can break...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #890

Talked to Fortune and they confirmed that the rear hub mounting brackets are slotted on the top like the fronts are, which is good. Hopefully can get more positive camber at the knuckle as well, but when I got underneath to look, I think the bolts are as far out in the slot as they can go, not sure. We'll see when I test-fit the wheels. But I heard back from KamiSpeed that my RAYS have hit the states last week, so paid the rest of what I owed them.

Been going for some drives with the nice weather, intermittently still have the oscillating idle. Got talking to Rick and I think I remember mulling over the idea of replacing the front O2 sensor; for some reason I forgot about trying that. So doing some research it seems others have similar symptoms as me, replaced their front sensor and BAM...working again. The car idled fine before the tune/taking it all apart so it has to be something different from those two events. I do remember that I didn't cover or place a cap on the sensor while it was off the car but was gentle with it, however I think it got fouled in that timeframe. So I ordered a new one and will be installing that ASAP to see if that is the fix.

Got this from Blackstone a few days ago. Good to see some reassuring data:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #891 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Someone went to the shoe store...**

Oh my GOD.

ohmygod!ohmygod!ohmygod! The long wait is over.

Pure sex weighs 15.5lbs apparently...

One of only 7 sets ever made with these specs! They came with Rays black valve stems and I opted for some nice aluminum Rays Type A flat center caps; gives a subtle look over the same ones with the machined Rays logo and got Project Kics hub rings as well. I can't get over how awesome these are in person. Gonna be test-fitting soon.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #892 (Edited)

Here's some pics of the car and Rick's 2.5RS at a Subaru meet a few weeks ago:

Replaced the front O2 sensor and unfortunately it hasn't cured the oscillating idle. However, once I drive around and stop at lights and such, it idles fine it seems. Switched back to Rotella T6 as well. Still eager to get off the break-in map.

Been pretty busy with things lately, no idea why; life stuff I guess. But I also got these parts for the Focus recently:

Motegi MR137 in matte black, new for 2018. Much heavier than the Rays for sure.

Triple R Composites Bottom Line fiberglass kit - lip, skirts, and rear spats. Will likely be getting lowering springs and a Cobb exhaust in a couple months.

Not driving the Focus in snow anymore and got sick of putting so many miles on it so fast(already have 8700!!), so I bought a 2004 Taurus at a decent price with 126k on it. It's in really good shape and everything works as it should so it's gonna be the long haul/commuter car from now on.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Dang it Gavin, those Rays are THE SEX :naughty:
They'll look incredible on your car!

Mine idles like an idiot as well. Don't know why and since it runs ok in every other aspect of Car life, I'll leave it as is.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #895 (Edited)

Dang it Gavin, those Rays are THE SEX :naughty:
They'll look incredible on your car!

Mine idles like an idiot as well. Don't know why and since it runs ok in every other aspect of Car life, I'll leave it as is.
Thanks Ben! I knew I'd be happy with them.

When are we doing that?
Well you said you needed to go back and check where we left off, so I was waiting to hear back from you(and was actually gonna text you soon about it). Not sure if you saw but I emailed you the link to GDrive stuff. I think I'm ready to go on my end. Waiting for orders....:)

I rolled over to 32k miles last night! Yay. Took a pic of rear clearance with the SSRs as it sits. If you look closely and zoom the picture, you can see the slotted hole on the left side of the upper bolt just barely peeking out. But knowing how thick that bolt is and looking at search pics of how wide the slot is, it's not great:

I also test-fit a wheel today aaaaaand.....not exactly great:

The wheel lip is seriously like not even 2mm from the locking collar. I looked at the upper clevis bolt and it looks like there may be a little more left to move the hub outward, but I'm not hopeful. So I'll have to loosen both clevis bolts to see if I can get more clearance. Outboard isn't great either so in order to not have to mod the fenders, I'll have to get at least another .5* of camber or so:

·
Registered
368 Posts

I guess it goes to show how different coilovers give different results! Just for posterity, on the rear I have the camber plates pretty far in board to angle the strut a bit, then the knuckle pushed outwards on the slot all the way (this opens the gap from tire/wheel to strut), then camber is adjusted via the adjustable lateral links. The lateral links are key to everything as you can pull in the bottom of the tire a bit once you settle on fender and strut clearance. I run ~-1.8 camber in the rear with this setup, but as I have described before, there is no real clearance between the strut and tire as well as tire to trailing arm, and fender (I have since widened the track a few mm and now I shave the rim protector area of the tire a mm or two under hard high speed cornering)

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Well you said you needed to go back and check where we left off, so I was waiting to hear back from you(and was actually gonna text you soon about it). Not sure if you saw but I emailed you the link to GDrive stuff. I think I'm ready to go on my end. Waiting for orders....:)

Heh, we have like three different locations of conversation... I don't quite remember I guess. I'll start digging into all those (text, email, PM's).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #898

Yeah, I was thinking I'd be able to squeak by, but it seems these wheels are gonna require some finagling to fit. Maybe have to do adjustable laterals as well like you? The wheel<>trailing arm is fine however, at least a half inch there. I looked all around the wheel, it's only the locking collar that's the problem other than more camber needed.

Jason, I know you're ridiculously busy, that's why I felt like I left the ball in your court and was just waiting for when you had time. I can tell you that Rick and I are certainly anxious to get a dyno day though! :D

·
Registered
368 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking I'd be able to squeak by, but it seems these wheels are gonna require some finagling to fit. Maybe have to do adjustable laterals as well like you? The wheel<>trailing arm is fine however, at least a half inch there. I looked all around the wheel, it's only the locking collar that's the problem other than more camber needed.

Jason, I know you're ridiculously busy, that's why I felt like I left the ball in your court and was just waiting for when you had time. I can tell you that Rick and I are certainly anxious to get a dyno day though! :D
I just took a peek, my locking collars are above the tire... so I definitely have more inboard clearance as a result. Looks like you will need spacers and a larger slot potentially. Much easier once you have a tire on there though.

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

No kidding... I just drove back from Helena, MT today. Today caps a 22-day work week and I'm currently on the phone with Zach (with The Blue Turd) troubleshooting how the car was wired to the AEM Infinity. :)

881 - 900 of 988 Posts