IW STi Forum banner

841 - 860 of 988 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Looks like I may be getting my dream wheels after all! KamiSpeed opened up the GB again, almost a year later to try again since there's been a lot of interest. Me and two other people are in with deposits and it's only been a couple days!

These are 17x9 +45 CE28Ns in bronze. We'll see what happens with the strut clearance though, it's closer than I could've anticipated with the SSRs at the moment.
Yeah, ive realilzed +45 is really close if you want to go aggressive on summer tire sizing... Hopefully you don't have any clearance issues :tup:

I've been getting quite used to the Recaros in the ST. So much so that it has me reconsidering the seats in the STi. Maybe I'll be looking into new ones for next season. But I plan on finally getting to a trackday after a tune is pinned down.
(
Interested in what you want to do seat wise. Even though I already replaced my drivers seat (3 times actually) I'm still not 100% sold (just because its a full bucket in a street car). I think that the ideal setup is to have a really good bolstered recliner, but that really limits choices if you want a "good" seat (not to mention they get pricey QUICK!)... I would probably go Bride Stradia myself but I just cant see dropping a that much coin on a single seat...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #842 (Edited)

Yeah, ive realilzed +45 is really close if you want to go aggressive on summer tire sizing... Hopefully you don't have any clearance issues :tup:
Well what I'd REALLY wanted was to do a 9 inch wheel with a 255/40 tire. Obviously we all know that's the upper limit and sometimes, beyond the limit of what a GD can fit without fender mods, which is what I'm hoping to avoid. You and Blingstrom both have the 9 inch GTV02(I LOVE that wheel but sadly no bronze :() and have a 255? I suppose if I have to, I'd be open to a slight roll of the rears. The only thing I'm super concerned about is that strut clearance. With the 17x8.5 +48 of the Type Cs, I had roughly 10-12mm from wheel lip to spring perch on the Fortune Autos in the rear. I didn't really get up in there and measure, so I'll check when the car comes back home. Now, going to a 17x9 +45 obviously pushes the overall wheel outboard by 3mm, but then is negated by the 6.3mm -or, 1/4- gained on either side of the wheel. So basically I'd be ~3mm closer than where I am currently just on the wheel size difference. I think it still may be ok. But throwing on a 255-sized tire may be a totally different issue. Anyone out there with a 255 and 9 inch wheel let me know what tire/wheel you have and feel free to post a pic showing how far the tire extends past the wheel lip. I welcome any tips/feedback.

Interested in what you want to do seat wise. Even though I already replaced my drivers seat (3 times actually) I'm still not 100% sold (just because its a full bucket in a street car). I think that the ideal setup is to have a really good bolstered recliner, but that really limits choices if you want a "good" seat (not to mention they get pricey QUICK!)... I would probably go Bride Stradia myself but I just cant see dropping a that much coin on a single seat...
Wow, three times?! I hear that though. But for what I want to do with the car, and after getting used to the Recaros, the stockers in the STi seem a little too....idk...bouncy? and not very bolstered. Bolstered recliners would be good, but like you said is a bit limiting and yes very pricey fast. Stradias are super nice, but a bit too expensive right now. I did just pick up a Sparco seat rail from Jason last week when I was out in CO. Need to put it to good use....:D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

Very curious as to how you like the ST. I want another fun daily driver and want something other than a Subaru. Do you get much snow out your way?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts

Well what I'd REALLY wanted was to do a 9 inch wheel with a 255/40 tire. Obviously we all know that's the upper limit and sometimes, beyond the limit of what a GD can fit without fender mods, which is what I'm hoping to avoid. You and Blingstrom both have the 9 inch GTV02(I LOVE that wheel but sadly no bronze :() and have a 255? I suppose if I have to, I'd be open to a slight roll of the rears. The only thing I'm super concerned about is that strut clearance. With the 17x8.5 +48 of the Type Cs, I had roughly 10-12mm from wheel lip to spring perch on the Fortune Autos in the rear. I didn't really get up in there and measure, so I'll check when the car comes back home. Now, going to a 17x9 +45 obviously pushes the overall wheel outboard by 3mm, but then is negated by the 6.3mm -or, 1/4- gained on either side of the wheel. So basically I'd be ~3mm closer than where I am currently just on the wheel size difference. I think it still may be ok. But throwing on a 255-sized tire may be a totally different issue. Anyone out there with a 255 and 9 inch wheel let me know what tire/wheel you have and feel free to post a pic showing how far the tire extends past the wheel lip. I welcome any tips/feedback.

Yeah I have 255’s on the right now but they are all-seasons so their tread width is less than a summer tire. I would be rubbing with 255 RE-71Rs... Im also currently running 5mm spacers on them right now to help keep from rubbing in the front under full lock (spacers on all 4 corners just to be clear...).

Wow, three times?! I hear that though. But for what I want to do with the car, and after getting used to the Recaros, the stockers in the STi seem a little too....idk...bouncy? and not very bolstered. Bolstered recliners would be good, but like you said is a bit limiting and yes very pricey fast. Stradias are super nice, but a bit too expensive right now. I did just pick up a Sparco seat rail from Jason last week when I was out in CO. Need to put it to good use....:D

Yep! First time I switched to JDM V7 seats, which were awesome but because of the LHD/RHD swap you’re sitting, what seems, like a foot higher up and I just couldn’t stand that. Then I got a sparco EVO2 but it fit terribly, so I got rid of it and now have a Recaro Pole Position. I love the Recaro but some tracks/HPDE Orgs do not like a full bucket without a rollbar. Ideally, id have a very similar seat that actually reclines instead to negate this issue, but so far the Bride is the only one that seems worth the switch (but is super expensive)...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #845

Very curious as to how you like the ST. I want another fun daily driver and want something other than a Subaru. Do you get much snow out your way?
I quite like it so far. Yeah we get usually get a lot of snow here in NE, but in recent seasons it's been drier than normal.

Yeah I have 255’s on the right now but they are all-seasons so their tread width is less than a summer tire. I would be rubbing with 255 RE-71Rs... Im also currently running 5mm spacers on them right now to help keep from rubbing in the front under full lock (spacers on all 4 corners just to be clear...).
Good to know.

Yep! First time I switched to JDM V7 seats, which were awesome but because of the LHD/RHD swap you’re sitting, what seems, like a foot higher up and I just couldn’t stand that. Then I got a sparco EVO2 but it fit terribly, so I got rid of it and now have a Recaro Pole Position. I love the Recaro but some tracks/HPDE Orgs do not like a full bucket without a rollbar. Ideally, id have a very similar seat that actually reclines instead to negate this issue, but so far the Bride is the only one that seems worth the switch (but is super expensive)...
I'm gonna look at seats sometime next season.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #846 (Edited)

Again it's been a long time since I updated...

Regarding the STi, the group buy for my dream wheels was successful, so I'll have beautiful bronze CE28Ns showing up to my door in a few months, just in time for the new season! Plan is to test fit and buy one tire first for mounting and test-fitting. Tires will either be Dunlop Z2s or RE-71Rs. The old rubber on the SSRs is getting trashed and then those wheels will be put in storage. No other plans besides maybe sorta kinda looking at some carbon bits for the exterior, a seat, and some track safety gear. I'm excited to get the car off the break-in tune and have some fun. I'll need to get another alignment once I get the new wider wheels on...more negative camber and to adjust for the slight increase in ride height.

Regarding the ST, things haven't been so great. Back on Dec. 19th, some dumbass decided to mess with me on the road and ended up swiping my front passenger corner, so it's been stressful dealing with the fallout from that situation. I'm still pretty upset about it because at that point I had the car for 2 months, and now it's had an accident. It's been fixed now by a local shop that does good work, but I have a few things that need to be touched up. About 9k in parts, paint, labor, etc. Oh and that same day a semi kicked a huge rock at my windshield and cracked it big-time. I hate my commute to work. Just sucks that I worked hard for a brand new car and it's been tainted already.

I had an oil analysis done on the break-in oil and it looks decent so far; looking forward to seeing what the next analysis shows. I also put Blizzak WS-80s on and they are a great winter tire; first time using them and I'm a fan. I'll be getting summer wheels for it, either OZ Superturismo, TSW Chicane, or Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in some sort of dark color. Perhaps I should start an ST journal on one o' them fancy forums....:D

Other things I'm considering are some subtle exterior bits and maybe an AP for it as well. Not sure if I want to give Cobb anymore money...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #848

Yeah, I have terrible luck, everyone should know that by now. I look forward to doing that for sure.

I have honestly let that end slip. I need to update the resume for my current experience at Google and start looking at jobs again, but I'm sure there are some good opportunities.

·
Registered
10 Posts

MotoIQ.com has a project 2005 STI that is running Advan TCIII wheels in 18x9.5 with a 45mm offset. They used a Falken RT615 K tire in 245/40-18 running that size without fender mods but they have additional clearance from KW coilovers compared to stock struts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #851

Thanks for the tip, uber. I agree with Blue though, that's a bit skinny of a tire on a wheel of that size. If you've noticed, I have coilovers installed now, but I'm hoping there aren't any clearance issues, like you quoted me saying...

·
Registered
694 Posts

Thanks for the tip, uber. I agree with Blue though, that's a bit skinny of a tire on a wheel of that size. If you've noticed, I have coilovers installed now, but I'm hoping there aren't any clearance issues, like you quoted me saying...
Super curious how it works out if either of you try it. I've been running 245s on 17x9 Mach V Awesome wheels which have an offset of 42 for a track set. With my T2's set to track stiffness I don't rub at all with -2 degrees camber in the rear. At -1.8 they rubbed a bit under hard g-outs.

I'd love to be able to fit a 255 RE-71r in there.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #853

Per recommendation from another person a while back regarding this matter, I'm going to try to go with -1.8* all around. According to someone with similar specs and setup on NASIOC, he was rubbing at anything under -1.8. So when I get everything and test-fit, if I have clearance and can go ahead and mount everything, I'll aim for that camber setting at the next alignment.

brapp, I forget, and without sifting through your journal...are you lowered very far? You're rubbing at auto-x hard exits?

·
Registered
368 Posts

I don't know how much thicker, if at all your coilovers are to the tarmac2 but I can fit the 17x9.5 et+44 with a 255/40/17 r888 without rubbing on the inside. I have only a few mm of clearance, but it has never rubbed. The other area to look out for are the trailing arms, I also only have a few mm of clearance there.

I hear you on the focus recaro's I got a fiesta st for a daily and immediately bought a pole position abe so that I wouldn't have to sit on the sti seats anymore! It ruined it haha.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #855 (Edited)

I'm pretty sure the coilover package size for the Fortunes is relatively the same size that most others are, since I've had a few sets in hand over the years. The only thing that may be different is that the locking collars' OD might be a hair larger than a pair of locking rings. I opted for locking collars instead. Yeah I won't be as close to the trailing arms as you, but I hear ya.

The time is almost here for the STi to come out of the cave! I am finally close to pulling the trigger on a Kansai Service rear diffuser, so I'm talking with a couple sellers to get a good price shipped. Also sometime soon I'll be getting a pair of ChargeSpeed Bottom Line Type 1 side skirts and front lip. I love the V-Limited lip that I have on the car but it's too rare to take a chance scraping it on my driveway anymore. If I happen to scrape the CS one, yeah I'll be pissed but at least I know they're readily available to replace. I have no idea when the city is coming to repair the street I live on. This year has been the worst in recent years for potholes and the roads going to shit.

·
Registered
899 Posts

You could just buy a cheap V-Limited style lip.
I destroyed mine a couple a years ago and because racecar I just replaced it with the cheapest I could find :D

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts

You could just buy a cheap V-Limited style lip.
I destroyed mine a couple a years ago and because racecar I just replaced it with the cheapest I could find :D
+1 FOR THIS!

Ive been running one of those ~50-60 dollar ebay lips for years. broke one, and bought another... lol They look nearly identical at like a tenth the cost. :tup:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #859

I actually looked closely at some pics comparing the Fortunes and some other coilover sets, and forgot to mention that the locking collars are actually smaller in diameter compared to the springs, so I'm kind of even more surprised at how close a 8.5" wheel with a +48 offset is. But I'm going off memory of how it looked at the time. I'll post a pic when I get the car back.

Yes yes guys, I know, haha. I'm still on the fence about it though, however it is just my driveway I'm worried about. I think I'm the only one in Omaha with that lip though(for a GDB at least). Once the street gets repaired, the overlay will come back up the end of my driveway about 1.5-2ft, making for a nice transition again. It's eroded away over the past few years :/

·
Registered
694 Posts

Per recommendation from another person a while back regarding this matter, I'm going to try to go with -1.8* all around. According to someone with similar specs and setup on NASIOC, he was rubbing at anything under -1.8. So when I get everything and test-fit, if I have clearance and can go ahead and mount everything, I'll aim for that camber setting at the next alignment.

brapp, I forget, and without sifting through your journal...are you lowered very far? You're rubbing at auto-x hard exits?
Oops missed this.

Not lowered very far... dropped about 20mm from stock height. Off the top of my head I want to say ride height is 14" front and 13.5" rear from hub center to fender.

At -1.8* I was rubbing only on very hard compression. It was a Time Attack event that was kinda like a big autox. But the point where I was rubbing I was coming off a banked wall (at PPIR, old nascar track) at about 70mph transitioning to a flat surface in a corner. So quite a compression force. I went up to -2* and haven't rubbed anywhere since.

841 - 860 of 988 Posts