IW STi Forum banner

501 - 520 of 992 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #501 (Edited)
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

No updates from IAG yet other than it was supposed to be starting the teardown->inspection process late last week, but I have not heard anything :(

The turbo arrived at PRE Tuning for inspection and he noted some inducer wear and worn seals, likely it's what's causing higher amount of standing oil/carbon where there shouldn't be, but he said the turbine shaft is straight and true. Pavel will be replacing all the internal pieces with new ones, media-blasting the turbo housing and the center housing, cleaning up other components, ceramic coating the turbo housing and upgrading the compressor to a billet 11-bladed design.

Still have to order a few other odds and ends, but I will be ready to put everything back together right when the motor comes back. I miss driving the car...:(

But it'll be so different and much more fun with the finished product. :tup:

I'm also in the middle of refreshing my gaming PC which will be complete this week, so I'll upload some pics of that when it's complete!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #502

As promised, here are some pics of my system in a new home(case) and with newer graphics cards, monitors, and keyboard.

Test fitting and clearances:

Nearing the final cable management out back:

Finished and ready to plug in:

Side panel open:

The finished battlestation:

I'm so impressed with the case and the final look, though there's no way really to fit any more gear in there. It's so clean, although my previous build was super-clean as well, I just wanted a smaller footprint. If the case were any smaller or my PSU any bigger, it would've been no dice. I catch myself sitting there just looking at it sometimes. Though I don't like how my phone gives the lighting a tinge of blue; it's actually pure white lighting in there.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #503

UPDATE:
I have finally gotten an invoice from IAG and I promptly reviewed and approved it! So here we go!

They have me going to JE ProSeal gaskets in 100mm with 0.039 thickness. They said that the OEM gaskets would be too thin after the re-decking process, even though I believe they said that only .003 would be removed - is that too far out of spec for OEM gaskets? On the surface, I'm inclined to agree with them. Also, my heads have not been decked - they were level enough to not require any work.

Thoughts?

Invoice below:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

The OE gaskets are about .029" thick, if you're having .003" taken off of both block deck surfaces that's actually .006" across the blcok. The JE's will make up for that and add .004" extra, which won't hurt anything.

I'm surprised the block is even being decked, at least that much since you're relatively low mileage. Service limit is .004" (per side) IIRC.

I'd go with the JE's over OE. the OE gasket works fine but the JE's are designed for a performance build. I'd recommend Fel-Pro (their Subaru HG's have some nice features) if you were putting it together yourself but its goof to go with the builder's preferences when a shop is doing the assembly.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #505

OEM is .023 I believe, but you do make a good point. Also, agreed on what the builder prefers.

The decking is happening as part of the C-D conversion, remember. I'm assuming the reasoning is because the inserts won't be completely flat to the deck after press-in and they want to be absolutely sure of its flatness. Just my initial thought though, could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts

The block has to be decked after having the deck closed. Why does it need a thicker gasket? Are they worried about piston clearance with the head/valves?

As far as total material being remove across the board, adjustable idler pulleys will solve any timing issues.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #507

They stated to preserve C/R, ensure proper quench, and also yes, piston clearance.

I was mostly concerned about timing, yes. I remember those that LIC sells; are those manual adjustment setup or are they self-adjusting? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to the design of those.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts

The JE seals my be the way to go. I haven't looked too much into their motors, so I don't really have an opinion on the quench.

They are manual. You set them and lock them down.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #509

Do you think this will cause the belt to be off by a significant margin? >1 tooth? Too much for the tensioner to compensate for? Or will I really not be able to tell until I start putting it all back together?

Because I already bought OEM idlers a while ago :(

·
Registered
9,122 Posts

UPDATE:
I have finally gotten an invoice from IAG and I promptly reviewed and approved it! So here we go!

They have me going to JE ProSeal gaskets in 100mm with 0.039 thickness. They said that the OEM gaskets would be too thin after the re-decking process, even though I believe they said that only .003 would be removed - is that too far out of spec for OEM gaskets? On the surface, I'm inclined to agree with them. Also, my heads have not been decked - they were level enough to not require any work.

Thoughts?

Invoice below:
Image Link

Image Link
JE pro seal for sure (it beats all the more expensive cosworth and not as reliable cometic crap that is out there :lol:) on a closed deck block. I have not seen any one accumulate a bunch of miles on JE pro seals but multiple 900-1000whp passes were made by junior and they held up perfectly. Personally I have 2000miles on those head gaskets with zero problems while running their 14mm studs and O rings. My setup is always a test bed for longevity :lol: I would recommend OEM head gaskets in a heartbeat if the block wasn't closed due to their stellar track record and from personal experience :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Completely forgot you were going closed deck. I know it in the title but I didn't have it in mind. the ~.010" your block will "grow" with the .039" gaskets probably won't affect cam timing enough to require the LIC adjustable pulleys. You could always see how your cams line up one the engine is back together when you set the timing and decide if they're really worth it.

And yeah, spec on the OE HG's is .023", sorry. I was thinking of the Fel-Pro replacements which are .029" thick. They're a bit thicker to accommodate a light milling or decking.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #513 (Edited)

No worries. Yeah I figured that would be the answer - can't really tell until everything starts going back together and see how it all lines up. I mean I would hope that the tensioner could account for ~0.010" either way, added or removed. I mean, I also hope for a million dollars, but that doesn't make it a reality. It's just a habit of mine to order parts ahead of time so that time isn't wasted when I need them.

Again, no prob. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #514 (Edited)

So I got the turbo back from Pavel today; looks real good, and I can't wait to run it through its paces! Although it's interesting, I've never seen a thermal coating that was chromed ;)

Also, an update from IAG says that most of the machining work is done and that it's ready and in line to get bored and honed, then assembly! Woo!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #515 (Edited)

Small wiring question:

I was wiring up my gauges last night and I used this tutorial here: Gauge Installation Electrical Wiring Tips and Pics Defi and Others - NASIOC to use as a guide for my wiring. In this example, he is wiring up 3 Defi gauges and the Defi control box. I am only wiring 3 small Autometer digital gauges.

I spliced in to the same wires as in the example, would I be ok to splice all 3 12V power wires to the same switched 12V power from the Subaru harness? All the wires are roughly the same gauge - 20AWG. The instructions for each gauge also recommend a 3A fuse for each power wire - is that too much resistance over the single 12V? I can't imagine the power draw is very large.

Also I saw a testing video where someone was showing the power draw of 6 Autometer gauges, and all 6 were at load only measuring ~0.6A; maybe I only need one 3A fuse?

Like I said, the tutorial I linked above is powering all those pieces from the wires he specified. Am I good to go? I was thinking of sending an email to Autometer....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #517 (Edited)

And this would be ok with just one 3A fuse? Or would you think 3 - one for each gauge power wire? Plus, like I said, I already spliced last night...do you know what fuse positions/number on the fusebox would work then?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

So I got the gauges/pod all buttoned up a few days ago, although I'm going to leave some of the dash off until after first start in case there are any issues with them; I can address them easily with everything removed. Overall, I'm pleased with how the gauges and pod look together; I like the understated OEM vibe.

I also installed the DW301 fuel pump last night. Since the DW is physically longer than the OEM pump, I was not able to keep the rubber pump isolator at the bottom of the bracket, however I used some pliers to bend the bottom of the bracket up towards the bottom of the pump, so it won't move around. Also, I removed the original box around the fuel sock. Overall a pretty easy install.

IAG said the motor should be ready to come back to me early next week.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Is the metal body of the pump now in contact with the metal hanger of the sending unit?

If so, you may end up having some fueling issues. The fuel pump duty cycle is controlled by PWM using a pulsed ground signal from the OE FPC, so the metal body of the pump needs to be isolated from anything else that's metal to prevent interference with the ground signal (at least I know that's the case with the big Walbro pump like I'm running).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #520

I may have to look at it again....but the pump bottom is plastic. Also the only other contact it has are two screws protruding from the bracket; they are just slightly touching the pump, just barely.

501 - 520 of 992 Posts