IW STi Forum banner

441 - 460 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **forged internals w/closed-deck now?!**

At the end of the day, your money, your car, your choice.

Personally, I follow "if it can blow up, it will" so I'd rather spend the 2,000 on 4 new block halves :lol: ;]

·
Registered
947 Posts

BTW mjfubar just mentioned the closed deck only lasted two sessions . food for thought

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Yeah, I expect a Subaru to blow in any fashion. Even CJ's record setting stock long block pass was pushing so much coolant they needed a 2L bottle to catch it. :)

Personally, for track, I would choose a different car... And I did. :)

BTW mjfubar just mentioned the closed deck only lasted two sessions . food for thought
I'd need to know more information as to why it failed.

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Here is an Outfront block that pushed something like 1,000whp the last year.

Failure was a rod.

CJ's car is doing the same. Granted, these aren't road racing motors (although they beat on these things much more than I would give them credit for), but most Time Attack cars go out for like 3 laps. If I can't do 20-30 minutes at a time repeatedly, I'd look at another platform all together.

·
Registered
947 Posts

see, even tho the cylinder wall didnt crack, that guy put all his eggs in one basket and spent 2,000 just for the motor to blow anyway. Id rather put my eggs in 3 basket for the same price

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

You're talking to a guy that swapped in an OEM block and only changed out for Manley graded pistons and head studs. ;) Bang-for-buck. At some point, it's better to move on to a platform that does what you want it to do better than the STi. The STi is a decent street car and the aftermarket support helps it do some really cool things, but outside a rally (which still needs significant modification) and the street, it's not particularly good at anything without spending too much money. Then you run into someone that chose a better platform for said usage and spends a fraction of the money and goes faster. :)

·
Registered
947 Posts

I think my block might blow right after i install the 5858 and put her on the dyno. and if she holds out on the dyno, i cant imagine her making it thru her first track day lol, thats when ill do the same exact thing with oem halves, some rods and pistons, headstuds and right back in. i have no problem repeating that a few times before i smarten up and get an s2k or finally get old and get a Cadillac and move to florida :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

There are many different things that can sway parts choices in racing... Some of mine come from me getting sponsored which might have me going with a part I originally had chosen from another manufacturer.

I've got a lot of really good friends that build and race cars professionally (here is one of their recent builds recently featured... Think Lamborghini money in this car. I also provided tuning input for this build. STI Turnt up to 11 - Devin's Wicked Fast Subaru). One of them is a professional racer for KPAX/Flying Lizard and the other one goes faster than everyone with much less money into the car than virtually anyone and willing to bet his 310whp NA BMW gets around the track faster than STi we're talking about. Some of the stuff he goes with would be considered a downgrade to some, but it doesn't stop him from being faster... and it's been reliable. Case in point, when he won NASA TT3 Nationals in 2014, his S54 swapped E36 M3 was edging out an S65 swapped swapped E36 M3. He also set and reset the TT3 lap record while there (and at previous year Nationals) and he had never driven the track before. There is a reason I am a "bang-for-buck" kind of person.

All that said, I'd put a good closed deck block up against a sleeved block and expect the same results, at a much cheaper cost and no common sleeving issues.

Really? I'm even more impressed with you now. I love Devins setup and hope to see it in person.

And I hate the reality of what you are saying, but have the desire to build just onen flat four for myself before I go LS something, something. Lol

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Devin's car should be out here at least twice this year for AutoX Spring Nationals and Nationals. Make it out here and I can get you a ride in it. I stopped by the Nationals site this past year and was put to work on Devin's car. He had blown the boost reference line off and lost his boost control completely :). I ended up dropping a bolt from the intercooler and it landed on the splitter, so Robert and I had to pull that off just to retrieve it. Mahbad.

I was actually at 3R last weekend hanging out with Chris and Robert. This is what they were working on at the time (while prepping for a PCA open house where Randy Pobst was attending, who used to drive for KPAX):

The S2000 in the background is Robert Thorne's... 700whp, anti-lag, sequential, race car... STOCK long block. I'm glad he boosted it, 'cause then he gave me his custom made, proven intake for my car. :) And yes, that's an Indy car back there.

I hate the reality of what I am saying too. I originally bought the STi for it's bang-for-buck, but the more I think about taking it further, the costs incur exponentially. When I think about it, I'd rather get a Corvette or Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Love me some KPAX by the way. Randy is a beast have followed him for a while, got to meet him at Detroit GP as the KPAX team was right across from my volunteer station the year KPAX ran the Volvo's. The owner of RCE Myles was videotaping for the the KPAX team that year. Good times.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Uh guess I need to take this out of Baron's journal..........<snicker>

·
Super Moderator
8,388 Posts

Love me some KPAX by the way. Randy is a beast have followed him for a while, got to meet him at Detroit GP as the KPAX team was right across from my volunteer station the year KPAX ran the Volvo's. The owner of RCE Myles was videotaping for the the KPAX team that year. Good times.
If you watch Born 2 Race : Fast Track, you'll see my buddy Robert playing himself driving a KPAX Volvo. In fact, the hood on the back wall of that picture is from that car he was driving in the movie. :)

For the last couple years, they've been driving these:

I think Gavin is okay with this... He was over a few days ago and he was excitedly surprised at all the people I have connections with after showing him pictures. :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #454

HELL NO IM NOT OKAY WITH IT!!! IMMA GET THE ADMIN TO BAN YOU ALL!!1!1 WHARRGARBLGARBL!!!

Really though, it was cool hearing stories and seeing all the vids/pics of Jason's history, really enjoyed it.

Going back to the original "debate" and leaving out the fact there are better track platforms, for what I want to do and the power range to do it with, I think I'll be safe.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #456

Uh...uhm...CD envy much. :lol:

:tup:
Nah, just differing opinions I think.

Just called Daly's; heads are done and have been since last week? I will be picking them up tomorrow. Odd, since I had to call once again to check on status even though they said they'd call me when done.:rolleyes: I know people get busy, but cmon....

·
Registered
947 Posts

Nah, just differing opinions I think.

Just called Daly's; heads are done and have been since last week? I will be picking them up tomorrow. Odd, since I had to call once again to check on status even though they said they'd call me when done.:rolleyes: I know people get busy, but cmon....
Yea, if he's implying I'm a "hater" because of envy, he clearly hasn't seen my build thread, because I can buy 3 closed decks right now if I thought they were worth it

·
Registered
899 Posts

No Foo, I envy the possible CD option Baron has :)

I know your thread and I'm the last person to spread hate or imply anything.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #459 (Edited)

Yea, if he's implying I'm a "hater" because of envy, he clearly hasn't seen my build thread, because I can buy 3 closed decks right now if I thought they were worth it

3?!? Mr. Moneybags over here!!! Haha, jk mang. <3

Go read his journal Ben! We all have mutual jealousness of each other, I know I do. I'll admit it!

Edit: damn, you beat me to a response. Seems you know his journal already.

·
Registered
899 Posts

I can't take another sick build. It'll ruin me...
I'm already jealous about people having a nice garage with enough room for tearing a car apart. I can't handle much more :lol:

I'm glad we all share the same nail that's stuck in our head! :cool:

441 - 460 of 988 Posts