IW STi Forum banner

381 - 400 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **motor is pulled...now to mod...**

Stupid me, I didn't take any when I was there. But it was quite clear that some of the faces were in fact worn down more than they should have been. Granted we're talking thousandths here, but it was still noticeable enough.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Local guy is coming by tonight to get my old pan from me. I like that the 06+ doesn't have the stupid drain plug baffle; the magnetic tip on my plug won't run into anything :)

The heads will be at Daly's for a bit longer as I dropped by last week since they asked me to come by. When they were pulling the valving apart, they noticed that some valves had more wear than expected for having low mileage and wanted to me come look before they kept going with what was agreed for work - old-world nice guys, really. They were surprised with the wear they found and asked if the car seemed like it was down on power or if the compression wasn't right. Though I wasn't able to check this myself, the car always felt strong, and the dealer said compression was healthy when I bought it - I know, can't always trust what they say.

After looking at the valves(some of the faces were concave/curved inwards!) and talking to them about what's next, it was decided to have them do a valve job; it's the right thing to do at this point. They are going to try and save some of the valves, but Mike could tell just by looking that a few will need to be replaced. So I stopped over a second time to give them the cams, cam caps, sealant, buckets, and new OEM valve seals. They are going to set lash and fully assemble them before giving them back to me.

Fun times. It's getting colder out and I hate it. Still need heaters for the garage. :(
I'd like to see pictures of the valves too. I won't know more than Jason but I'm curious to see the "excessive" wear.

I'm working in a non-heated garage too, it sucks. Mine is insulated but I haven't put a true heat source out there. We've had a few 20* days and I found that if I plug in the halogen work light and a space heater about an hour or so before I go out, it's bearable, and if I work in the garage for a few hours it gets to the point that between the heat sources and moving around I can only stand to wear a t-shirt because I'm too warm.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Stupid me, I didn't take any when I was there. But it was quite clear that some of the faces were in fact worn down more than they should have been. Granted we're talking thousandths here, but it was still noticeable enough.
The faces of the valves were worn, or the seating area/stems?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #385

Both the faces and seats. They said that there was good seal between each face and it's corresponding seat and the vacuum tests were ok, but it was abnormal wear.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #387

Want me to call and tell them to hold off so I can go get pics?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #389

I will do that, but I have doubts about their current "tech skills". I don't think they even have a computer there, or at least I didn't see one when I was there. They're old-fashioned dudes after all. :)

Kyle, yeah it sucks hard, and my garage isn't insulated. Reeeealllly need to look hard at some heating solutions.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #391

Ok, so I just got off the phone with them. Mike is out til tomorrow, so either he will send me photos tomorrow or I'm gonna stop there over lunch tomorrow to get some pics. I asked them to clarify some things and they estimate only 1 or 2 need replacing, which isn't bad but most of them will need refinishing. He was looking at them while on the phone and said for sure some of the faces were curved in ever so slightly.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

I can get some pictures of my stock valves with 86699 miles on them tonight when I get home if you need a reference to compare them to. I don't recall them being "flat-faced," in fact I'm pretty sure all of the valves are "tulip" type valves.

Not bashing the shop or their work, but if they're not familiar with Subaru's, I wouldn't want them doing any work for me, regardless of how reputable they are. I had to replace my block and have my heads completely redone because the first guy I worked with on my build (before I went to Moore) had the heads and block work done by machine shops who built big money drag engines.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #393 (Edited)

Sure, please do Kyle. I'd appreciate that. I'm pretty certain they're flat faced though; at least all the pictures of AM ones I can find show flat faces. I've seen some wear pics in some searches and they look pretty similar to what I saw last time I looked at the valves. See this: Low compression on 1 cylinder? - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

They seem/said they were familiar with Subaru work and they came recommended from some other guys around here, including Jason. But trust me, I hear where you're coming from and agree completely. At first when I was dealing with them I was a little wary, but after interacting with them, it seems they're familiar.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Not bashing the shop or their work, but if they're not familiar with Subaru's, I wouldn't want them doing any work for me, regardless of how reputable they are. I had to replace my block and have my heads completely redone because the first guy I worked with on my build (before I went to Moore) had the heads and block work done by machine shops who built big money drag engines.

On one hand I can see where you are coming from because of your experience, however I disagree as a whole. My favorite local machine shop has a large reputation of building road race and drag race V8's and does quite a few of the local Subaru shops machining as well. They have done a bag up job on short blocks/heads that I've taken to them. I trust them to machine any of my builds.

Experience varies of course.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

On one hand I can see where you are coming from because of your experience, however I disagree as a whole. My favorite local machine shop has a large reputation of building road race and drag race V8's and does quite a few of the local Subaru shops machining as well. They have done a bag up job on short blocks/heads that I've taken to them. I trust them to machine any of my builds.

Experience varies of course.
It's definitely going to come down to the capability of the shop to adapt their processes, instead of treating every engine the same way.

I didn't realize the shop Baron is working with was familiar with Subaru engines and that Jason recommended them among others. From what I read it sounded like old guys who know what they're doing with a SBC but might not be able to adapt to the different needs of an EJ. I'm not saying a shop can't do V8's and imports - just that a shop that does V8's and doesn't do imports probably isn't the best bet for an import. Sounds like he's in good hands though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #396 (Edited)

After stopping over there again during lunch, I was able to talk more with them and take a few pics. I am now more reassured that they know what they're doing.

Here's the passenger head all cleaned up and bead-blasted, and both look outstanding. I really wish I could have them do the block too:(, but I'm not going to break the motor down any farther. They flushed out all the junk. Upon closer look in person(instead of bad results on Google), it seems that the intake seat is one flat face angle all the way through and the exhaust is double-angled. It looks awesome:

Here's the first of "the bad ones for sure", which they said may be able to be corrected. It's slight but it's definitely rounded inwards:

The second one, more obvious:

These were both exhaust valves.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #397

Hard to believe we're already in December. It's been so long since I've driven the car, it almost feels like I don't even own an STi. There's a hole in my life it seems, something only other car guys know.

During one of the few times I had it out, here it is sitting pretty during a photo shoot for my youngest brother's high school grad photos. He wanted to use the car, so I said why not.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #398

Going to call Daly's either today or tomorrow to see where they're at on the heads. Nothing to report from camp, other than being anxious to get started on the car again.

I have been looking around for a Christmas gift to myself, so I've been talking to Ravi @ CSF Radiators(the owner) and I have decided on getting their 3076O offering for the STi. It was just released a few months ago after extensive working and testing with some racing teams/shops, including LIC Motorsports. He said he could put me in touch with a dealer for a nice lowered price, which was generous of him.

It has an oil cooler integrated into the bottom fin area which, with some extra fittings and hose, will couple to a sandwich plate. It's significantly thicker than an OEM core, and noticeably so more than other AM cores, but should still work with everything, clearances, etc. Also, the quality of CSF products is superb. I was already considering an oil cooler as well, so this is all in one package.

Not to copy Jason or anything, but I have also been considering getting the valve covers powdercoated red as well, possibly black. They're looking kinda tired. You can still see 'em once the motor is in, but I guess they're mostly obscured. But it would be nice to have them look finished. It's those extra little touches....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #399

Spoke with Daly's last night and the good news is that only one valve needs to be replaced; it's the second exhaust valve two posts up. Mike was able to face all the other valves to within the specs from the FSM sections I printed off. I left those pages at the shop so they had info on hand rather having to scour the internet/books for specs.

So I quickly ordered up that replacement valve from Chaplins Subaru. I know they deal with more heat than an intake valve, but damn, $50 for a single valve, whereas an intake is $10-$12?! At least I only need one!

Local guy who bought my oil pan had it flushed out twice at another shop and all looks good to him, so he put it on his motor. He's a good dude, it's nice to help out a guy like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,396 Posts

Good to hear you only needed to buy one valve. Valves get expensive, especially valves such as the sodium filled valve you bought.

Here's your pan. I've made messes out of pans plenty of times from drilling into them. ;)

381 - 400 of 991 Posts