IW STi Forum banner

281 - 300 of 988 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! - **next stage, parts change!**

Looks like good progress! If you're feeling spicy you can go at that corrosion with a brass wire brush or a scotchbrite pad (that's what I did to clean up my block which I should have opted to have soda blasted).
Thanks...I initially tried this all with an old toothbrush, then a thick plastic-bristle brush. But I do have some wired brushes that I used before as well. Will give that a go.

The passenger side and turbo screen will be one in the same, IIRC (one on the head).
See, this is where I've found conflicting information in threads about this and I wasn't really able to find anything conclusive. Since you said that, there's two filter screens then as opposed to three, like I thought? I thought there was one for each line.

One that serves the turbo AND the passenger AVCS, then one that serves the driver's side AVCS? I wasn't aware the two lines(turbo/passenger side) converged back there. I can't recall at the moment...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #282 (Edited)

UPDATE: According to the TSB shown however, it says remove C(oil control valve side) NOT A(cylinder head side).

Jason, aren't you referring to A on both heads? Those should be removed as well or JUST the driver's side(which will be a pain in the ass to get to)?

EDIT:
Ok, so I looked deeper into this and found some more info; so it appears there were two TSBs about the screens for the AVCS filter screens. The first one was for the AVCS solenoid side, which are the two labeled C in each Figure. The second TSB was about the block side filter screens, one of which meets/converges at the same banjo bolt as the turbo oil feed marked A on Fig. 2, the passenger side head. So it appears on an untouched car, there are four filter screens.

I will look closer at mine just to be positive, but I'm almost certain I didn't see one down in the AVCS. I'm not sure I'll be able to remove the one driver's side since that is behind the back of the timing cover since I'm not terribly confident in myself enough to remove the crank pulley in order to remove the whole timing cover. I'd rather not throw off the timing by removing the pulley.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #284

I should've specified, but that's an untouched car that is MY '04, as well as '05 STis up to April 2005. Maybe your car's previous owner had the first TSB completed? I don't recall your manufacture date.

Although it's also a little weird for my case since mine is 04/04 but my VIN is after the starting VIN of 5*502352? Odd....

In any case, I'm going to simply clean the one serving the turbo/AVCS instead of removing it entirely, and probably won't get to the driver's side. But for sure will take a closer look at each AVCS side again just to be certain.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #286

Had some time the past couple days to get to the car. Cleaning progressed a little farther as well, however after the effort it took to get this far, I'm not sure it can get much better without taking the other piping off, which won't be happening.

Ramps showed up on Saturday, so I got the car up on them after work. They do the job and I think they were a good purchase. The clearance is what I was hoping for.

A lot of room at the rear. I got the exhaust off as well, all the way up to the front section of the downpipe. I still need to address that with an impact though...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #287

No progress pics, but a couple updates:

-Ordered some replacement parts - gaskets, downpipe fasteners, nuts/bolts, piping, as well as DEI Reflect-A-Gold film, a PTP turbo blanket. A Cobb heat shield as well, the inside of which will be covered with DEI along with the TMIC. Having both solutions on the turbo should reduce heatsoak; I'm hopeful.

-Also ordered a South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch kit. I think it should be enough for my needs and where the car is going.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #288

Update:
Not to go back and beat a dead horse, but I did not find the filter screens in my AVCS solenoids on either side, so I'm willing to bet that the previous owner(while being a deadbeat; yes, I'm still pissed about the condition of the car) got the TSB taken care of.

Another horse(this one is back from the dead) is the topic of removal of part of the drivetrain, which I have decided needs to be the motor. I know you guys advised not to, but for practicality's sake(as much as there can be with a project like this) I don't see another way around it. Also, I don't want to put off the vibe that I'm brushing off what anyone has said here and once again; I am not turning a blind eye to what was said. I value everyone's input, I mean that.

I don't want to do it.

However, I had an old mechanic friend come by and look at the situation as well, and he came to the same conclusion before I gave him the major details. I don't think that's a coincidence. It should be said though that I will not be touching the motor in any other way outside of the already-planned mods and other than cleaning it up some more.

1) New clutch going in
2) Rear of oil pan access(for the KillerB parts)
3) New motor mounts

In light of the last two items, which require lifting the motor at least, the new clutch warrants removal of something and I do not have the height clearance off the ground to use his trans jack to move the trans out of the way.

Jason, as I'm sure you're aware I'll still be seeking your expertise for a few other items aside from the tune, so hopefully you can fit me in somewhere in the coming months; I know you're always busy as hell, but I don't trust anyone else besides myself to do any sort of actual work on the car. Hope that means something. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts

The problem with removing the motor vs the transmission is you open yourself up to a lot more potential problems due to wiring harnesses, coolant lines, fuel lines, etc that you have to disconnect where you would not do with the transmission. On Ross' car, when we did the STi drive train swap, I put in the clutch with the motor in place, put in the KillerB parts with the motor in place, and put in the motor mounts with the motor in place. If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way.

Obviously it's your car, but I know what I would do.

What are the items you're referencing for help? Doing hard parts stuff is much harder for me to set aside time with vs a tune. Most of my tuning is done away from the car... Hell, I've been known to send out maps from work. :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #290

The problem with removing the motor vs the transmission is you open yourself up to a lot more potential problems due to wiring harnesses, coolant lines, fuel lines, etc that you have to disconnect where you would not do with the transmission. On Ross' car, when we did the STi drive train swap, I put in the clutch with the motor in place, put in the KillerB parts with the motor in place, and put in the motor mounts with the motor in place. If I had to do it again, I'd do it the same way.

Obviously it's your car, but I know what I would do.

What are the items you're referencing for help? Doing hard parts stuff is much harder for me to set aside time with vs a tune. Most of my tuning is done away from the car... Hell, I've been known to send out maps from work. :)
Well I do want to make it as easy as possible on myself, that much is true. I do realize what you mean, but correct me if I'm wrong, I have all of that already removed or disconnected, save for one coolant line on the block and the lower radiator hose still connected. Other than that, all that it's connected to are the bell housing, pitch stop arm, the motor mounts, and the downpipe(which isn't even attached to the car right now!) currently. Am I still missing something? I suppose I will continue to research a way to disconnect the trans. I didn't know you guys did all that with the motor in place.

As for the hard parts, I'm referring to the fuel lines/injectors/wiring up, initial suspension set up(preload and all that), and the MBC/EBC/EWG/AOS plumbing. Just wanted to get your input on some things, and some of that is hard to translate via the forums. First and foremost I know you have your own things to take care of, that's why there's no rush or expectations; just whenever you feel you could give it some time. :) In the meantime, I'm trying to do all the reading I can.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)

My first oil analysis done. Good news contained within, but I expected light readings on this short of an interval anyways.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #292

Got my intake manifold and the CAI piping back from a local powdercoating shop. I'd say it's a damn good job.

Now all the red bits match each other. Should look pretty nice and understated when it's all back together.

Going to shoot for this weekend for more work.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Looks really great!
My intake manifold could need some new powder too to get it's shine back :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #295

Thanks guys! I really recommend doing it Ben. Your custom headers look amazing by the way, super jealous.

Started applying DEI to the intercooler endtanks last night, should have some pics up soon.

Also, my buddy and I may be starting on the the motor removal tonight by getting all his equipment over here. Exciting times!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #297

I think I'm gonna have to invent some new words for my friend, who again was nowhere to be found and didn't respond at all to me trying to get a word on starting this process and getting the equipment over to my place, even though we were talking earlier today. This is par for the course with him, really. Kinda sick of this from him.

Idk, I guess this makes a case to go get my own equipment or something, but I know hoists/stands are pretty pricey, so maybe I'll have to shop around or something. My whole day is free tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #298

The Cobb heatshield and the intercooler have now been wrapped with DEI, so hopefully it does the job.

Friend with equipment isn't really getting back to me. Not confident anything is happening this weekend of course.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #300

If you give it back to me cleaner than I give it to you, you can borrow my hoist.
Thanks for the offer Jason, I appreciate it. If there's one thing my dad taught me, it's that you give stuff back in the same or better condition when you borrow it. :)

Let me know when I can come by, I'm free all week after 5/weekend.

281 - 300 of 988 Posts